FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Software & Gaming, post up your favourites or dislikes

Guest9337
Community Member

G'day All! Please share up your interesting software and gaming stuff.

I collect software like others collect stuff. Open source software is particularly satisfying, but big corp software is just as valid in my collecting. It's all windows stuff and I quite like windows 10.

Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business introduced me to Outlook which I came to use heaps and love. These days my email software is Mozilla Thunderbird. LibreOffice is my current office suit as it is open source and good enough.

Jriver Media Centre 20 serves up my music/movies it's an excellent paid for software. VLC the open source media player that'll play pretty much any file type. OBS Studio for capturing gaming video/audio and broadcasting. KODI is another free media player.

Steam. EA Desktop. Xbox. Origin. all gaming clients.

These days I play a little Elite Dangerous or Forza Horizons 4... but have gamed since Commodore 64 era.

I'm not a fan of Zoom. Damn thing wouldn't uninstall completely when I told it to, no wonder its so popular most can't get rid of it. Discord or Skype are my preferred voips, though of course an iphone is better.

I quite like Microsoft Edge browser, it was a seemless transition from google chrome.

I lust after Adobe software but it's all just too expensive for me and not stuff I'd actually use much.

More esoteric software are Freemind, a mindmapping software. Anki a flashcard creator - which was instrumental in me learning 200 new anatomy/physiology terms at uni level. GIMP 2.0 - no thats not something rude, it's a graphics manipulator.

27 Replies 27

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ah, ubt I don't use Chrome... years ago I tried and my text-to-speech reader didn't like it, or I couldn't get around it with my keyboard as )ha!) efficiently as I manage with good old fashion Google, without all the annoying background, , and clutter all over the place. WhenI open Edge, my defautlt is set for Google.

I don't like their algorithms either ... it is getting bleeping impossible to avoid them, ain't it?

You're a star!🌃I'm not sure, but it could be Betelgeuse. 😺

mmMekitty, Which browser do you actually use friend?

And Chrome has become more and better (and easier) over the years as it is continually incrementally improved.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Okay, I'll have another look.

Here's another little technical query. You see how Jo's red hearts are red, ❤️like this one? What is wrong with the red heart emoji I have ❤available to me? It does not turn up looking at all red! ❣, not that one,

Not sure you see this one🤍is the white heart as my screen is black with white font anyway, so it does look white to me,

but 🤎looks brown & beating heart does look red💓, but I think is a little smaller and narrower.

🧡is orange, 🖤well, not exactly black, but dark grey, 💙is blue, 💜is like a jacaranda flower purple, 💛is a sunny yellow, 💚is a light on the yellow side of green, but that red heart looks white to me.

Why? It makes me wonder what people thought when I used my version of the red heart ❤ and it looked like this? (What does it look like to you?) I am perplexed beyond how much it really matters.

I would also like to know if I can get more emojis my Microsoft 10 )Win+.) can have downloaded and included. There are not enough cats - as least as many people, please, I reckon would be right. oOr just more things, like more different animals, flowere, colours of what is there, , all because the things are more often announced to me, sometimes incorrectly, I have discovered, but it is better than no descriptor.

🐱mmMekitty

i cannot assist you with the love heart colours issue, for i do my forumming on the main computer and apparently the smartphones are the ones that have the love heart thingys.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is on my PC
, I don't use my phone for this. . I do email via my pc, & rarely respond to txts either. Hmmm, I wonder if Jo is sending posts through via phone? Hard to imagine writing long posts on a phone. I don't like doing that at all.

Sometimes I open a word document and commpose what I want to post, being sure to keep within the letter +spaces count, & copying my text to the post a reply edit box, because I find it is easier to edit in the word first. I do the same for ordinary emails, if I think my email might be long.

I suspect there may be more emojis on my phone. Wonder if it would work if I could send an email from my phone to my PC, including some of those emojis? Would they work then? Time for an experiment! But I'm too tired just at the moment.

mmMekitty

Strydz
Community Member
Natural selection 2 is a fun game on steam program

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Strydz,

Pleased to meet you here. I hope your interest in gaming revives this thread. If you've read back a bit, you may have seen I am unable to play games as I once had. If I could have continued playing The Sims, I think Iwould have, although I was realising how very much I was playing & able to 'forget' things I need to attend to, including self-care... & I can imagine how much this may have worsened if I could still play, now. I had not wanted to play online, or be involved with playing with or against others, just here on my own, at my own pace, & still I was so involved with it.

It's not possible for me, now, having lost much of my eyesight. But I hope, because new BB members have joined since October last year, there may be some who whould like to share their gaming interest with you.

Sadly, Guest 9337 seems unlikely to be returning, but that doesn't mean you can't use this thread. Of-course, you do have the option to begin your own new thread to talk about gaming.

All the best,

mmMekitty😺

LaneMoon
Community Member

It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. Thanks for sharing your software and gaming setup! I'm a big fan of open-source software, and Windows 10 works great for me. Thunderbird is my go-to for email, too, and VLC is a lifesaver for playing all sorts of media files. Elite Dangerous and Forza Horizons 4 are awesome picks for gaming! And yeah, Zoom can be a pain sometimes. Microsoft Edge has been surprisingly good for browsing, right? Anyway, thanks for the recommendations!