FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Software & Gaming, post up your favourites or dislikes

Guest9337
Community Member

G'day All! Please share up your interesting software and gaming stuff.

I collect software like others collect stuff. Open source software is particularly satisfying, but big corp software is just as valid in my collecting. It's all windows stuff and I quite like windows 10.

Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business introduced me to Outlook which I came to use heaps and love. These days my email software is Mozilla Thunderbird. LibreOffice is my current office suit as it is open source and good enough.

Jriver Media Centre 20 serves up my music/movies it's an excellent paid for software. VLC the open source media player that'll play pretty much any file type. OBS Studio for capturing gaming video/audio and broadcasting. KODI is another free media player.

Steam. EA Desktop. Xbox. Origin. all gaming clients.

These days I play a little Elite Dangerous or Forza Horizons 4... but have gamed since Commodore 64 era.

I'm not a fan of Zoom. Damn thing wouldn't uninstall completely when I told it to, no wonder its so popular most can't get rid of it. Discord or Skype are my preferred voips, though of course an iphone is better.

I quite like Microsoft Edge browser, it was a seemless transition from google chrome.

I lust after Adobe software but it's all just too expensive for me and not stuff I'd actually use much.

More esoteric software are Freemind, a mindmapping software. Anki a flashcard creator - which was instrumental in me learning 200 new anatomy/physiology terms at uni level. GIMP 2.0 - no thats not something rude, it's a graphics manipulator.

27 Replies 27

Hot off the presses is a new concept for people needing to filter out adverts on their pc web browsers...

Adblock. Enjoy.

Terrific Tuesdays Tentative announcement is brought to you by being Slack.

Slack : is a piece of cool software that is essentially a piece of communication software, "a work space" for people to collaborate. Looks pretty interesting I was able to quickly invite my wife via her email and she was up and running in less than 2 minutes and able to quickly access the text/links/images/videos that I had put up in our families work space on Slack. Cool man.

so be slack, have a crack.

This post is brought to you anonymously, in support of those who support anonymously.

Auton
Community Member
i used slack for a a project i work out outside of work and its good !!! we're a production team of 11 or so and swapping info/images etc during live events works great on slack!

Guest9337
Community Member

Hump Day's Humongous app from Microsoft, MS Teams.

Having had a microsoft a/c for quite some time I found installing MS teams fairly simple and up in running in about 10 minutes. Wife on the other hand couldn't get it operating and needed me to walk thru various login procedures, we must of logged in to 10 differnt ways of loggin in b4 it all snapped into place and wife joined our Family MS team. Yet to have a play with it though.

Google Arts & Culture is an extension for chrome or edge browsers and has given me an epic amount of joy. The version I have is set to show a different piece of Art every time I open a new tab, just get so many magnificent pictures, the app is well worth the $0.00 fee.

Greetings and salutations fellow software users.

U do not even need to buy microsoft office anymore, just use the microsoft browser "edge" and get urself a free microsoft account and start using the office that is freely available in the browser/app store. It works well without all the nonsense of a billion different editing options.

Google docs works well too, not quite as well as microsofts free online office though.

Check out Deviant Art, they are a very cool art work social media that aims to protect users copyrights for their art.

apple also have their suit of free software for ios users, that also works on a windows 10 pc through browser = edge.

Is anyone else into wordpress publishing website, they seem quite decent for cheap fees.

dng

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello, hello, how'd you get around so much?

I didn't see this thread before this evening. I was looking back over the posts, and I wonder, did you ever figure out how to completely remove Zoom? Could I install the app to an external drive and use it from there, and thereby avoid bits of it becoming permanent residents in my PC? I've been reluctant to try it, but some/a lot of people do since early 2020. I don't like keeping old or unusable things on my PC, so I would really like to be able to completely and utterly get rid of it again if I don't like it.

When I first bought this PC, when it came with XP pre-installed, (yep, that old), it also had Norton Security, and I found bits of it had remained behind, after I thought I had removed it. Hidden way in there, the fellow said. Far as I am concerned, that is not nice.

I notice how popular Steam is. I wanted to give you all a cautionary note about it. Last year, my bank had contacted me (yes it was legitimate), about how my account, via someone's online purchasing games via Steam. They told me this was a common way for people to try to use a randomly generated card number and build a profile, buy and such. I don't really understand it all, because they would not have my the name on my card, the security number either, but the attempt was made. A tiny amount at first, my bank said, just to verify the target was a 'live' bank card number. Then a larger amount.

But my bank got onto it quickly. My card was cancelled and I had to go to the bank and get a new card, & make up a new PIN, too.

It is rather scary to think of what might have happened.

May I suggest, Have a separate account/card for Online purchases, & don't keep a lot of money in it.

The only way the bank had noticed was that I do not regularly shop Online - & not gaming for years. The activity on my account was flagged as unusual.

mmMekitty

re Zoom. MateyMightyMekitty, just go with the flow and use it! lol. so many different communications apps these days that to not have one just denies one the opportunity to chat with everyone who uses that particular com app.

we haven't used our home address phone line in years, yet it is just forced upon us. So i am pro-choice in these things, now i'm advocating online.

zoom is turning out to be fun anyways, got that background image thingy looking cool.

Iam glad ur bank caught onto the nasty cybersteam theives, that is afterall what you pay the account fees for!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm just getting my head around stuff, and something else comes along... but I don't even have a camera connected to my desktop. I don't like little screens, don't like being on camera, (or in photos for that matter),

I never wanted to do Online Gaming. I don't like registering/subscribing for sites I use - I make exceptions for just a few, like here.

I don't like how, even though I have not registered/subscribed anywhere on YouTube, Google puts up a very old (obsolete) account pic saying I am commenting as [me]. YouTube's algorithms keep suggesting things similar (not much) to things I might have looked at one time only, & thought, no, didn't want that. Keep putting up ads, no matter which option I select, 'irrelevant', 'inappropriate', 'repetitive'. I'd like another couple options, 'bleeping nuisance' & 'bleeping noisy'.

I used to play some games, Simple stuff, brick breaker, ball, and puzzle and old style Snake (I even had a Gameboy once), I got a NGage phone which introduced me to The Sims. I liked the Sims. I was glad to be able to get boxed discs, and play offline. Glad to be able to pause, to read what would pop up. Still, it went more and more towards the social side and online, and I was not able to read without zooming hugely, and losing the tiny cursor they forced me to use, & it cost real money to buy many unreal objects....& it kept me up all hours.

Before playing any video game, I had not credited how quickly and easily these things could take up so many hours each day. How I could sit and be playing, forgetting to attend to even the basic needs, like eat, unless it was to open a pack of junk food. I could even sit longer without going to the bathroom. Next thing, time passes, and I hear birds singing outside. It is dawn! No sleep, no tablets, eyedrops, food, nothing, but what I achieved in the game, which really didn't seem like much considering how many hours I'd been playing.

I was astonished! The worry is, If I could, I would still play. What a great way to zone out and not think about reality?

mmMekitty

i advise mmMekitty uses the chrome extension "adblock" by adaware, free version that is really great at destroying and removing adverts. easy peasy.

It is even better than paid for versions, for it is light and quick and uses very little resources and works very well!