FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

LynnyJ

Tweak
Community Member

I had a great Doctor who treated me for depression. Then after 12 years died of bowel cancer, so I've been seeing another for approx the past 4 years. After all these years I am now unable to find a Doc who will bulk bill patients with concession cards. My current practice manager tells me I'll have to pay $113.00 up front before I receive rebate. I rarely have that much in my account. The Doc I've been seeing says I can't go off these meds cold turkey so still have to see him to wean me off them but can't afford initial consult. Many Docs won't even give a thought to supplying these meds so hard to find another to help me off them.

5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lynny, this upfront payment has been a thorn in so many people's side, so I would contact BB 1300 22 4636 and talk with the counsellors, the other option is to contact a doctor's centre that's open 24/7 or 7 days a week, normally they tend to bulk bill.

Geoff.

Life Member. 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Tweak & welcome

May I ask, are you talking about being required to pay an upfront fee to see a psychiatrist? If you do save up that initial fee, would they be making a claim from Medicare straight away? That would mean you would receive the Medicare benefit into your bank account immediately. If you have to make the Medicare claims yourself, then it takes longer so you will need more savings to have a few appointments covered while waiting for Medicare to pay you the benefit. In any event, until you reach Medicare's Safety Net, you will not be reimbursed the full cost per appointment.

During these tough times, it really is a tough decision when it comes to paying for a private medical practitioner.

Have you tried to explain directly to your current doctor about your financial situation, asking how are you supposed to come off the meds if you cannot afford to see them, so they can monitor your progress?

Yeah, I agree with Geoff, calling BB Counsellors is a good idea. & you are welcome to talk here. However, we can't advise about the medical matters relating to your meds.

Happy Easter to you, Geoff & everyone

mmMekitty

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello.

It's really sad that you're having trouble finding a doctor who will bulk bill patients with concession cards. It's understandable that the financial burden of paying $113 up front for a consultation can be overwhelming, especially when you're not able to afford it. It sounds like you're in a really tough spot right now... with having to choose between continuing with your medication or going without it due to the cost?

It's good that your current doctor is willing to work with you, but I imagine that it's hard to find another doctor who is able to work with you in the same way. It's not fair that financial barriers are getting in the way of your treatment.

You deserve to get the help you need!

Tayman
Community Member

If you have a concession card, I'm thinking you might be getting a pension or other benefits. Do they still have the option to get a loan/advance on these? There used to be an option of, I think a $500 loan/advance of benefits. If you'll get all the money back after medicare processing, that might be an option for you, get the $500 loan, then either pay it all back straight away, or keep it in your account/do the standard pay back schedule, so that you have the money there for each appointment.

All the best, what a frustrating situation for you!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Tweak, the doctors tried this once before, but it changed because nobody would go and see their doctor and hopefully the same will happen again.

Doctor's surgery who are open 24/7 I think still bulk bill so may be you could try and find one and if you do take the empty box of AD's with you, and your name on the package.

Geoff.

Life Member.