FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Moonstruck
Community Member

Good morning Croix - to answer your question as best I can - ( feel free to read between the lines)

I have no "dislikes" in the type of theatre I like watching - a few of the big musical shows that spring to mind include Les Miserables,The King And I, Mary Poppins.

Neil Simon is a brilliant playwright, up there with Noel Coward, Harold Pinter, Oscar Wilde. I also love Neil Simon's movie scripts some of which came from his plays - - Only When I Laugh, California Suite, Odd Couple, Goodbye Girl, Chapter Two etc - he has exceptional one-liners.

I recall when as a very young person doing the "overseas" trip in London - where you could see in person onstage, well-known British TV stars from all the sit-coms you'd watched - one matinee show, sitting close to the stage I was blown away to see right in front of me - the likes of Richard Briers (Monarch of the Glen,TheGood Life) Penelope Keith (Good Life,To the Manor Born) stars from the Carry On movies etc - fabulous stuff. No one can do comedy quite like the British!

And I like theatre of the absurd, farce - how about you?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

Les Miserables is great, but to sad for me nowadays. I could not watch it again.

Yes Neil Simon is amazing, from Sgt Bilko to The Odd Couple and more. I really thought the latter was great, but then I like Matthau and Lemon anyway. Jack Lemon did a pretty good job in a more serious film, 12 Angry Men, adapted from the play be Reginald Rose, about jurors arguing over a murder. It was made previously in an even better incarnation starring Henry Fonda. A typical one-scene play, but amazing drama. Probably one of the best ever.

You must have had a marvelous time in London with all those household names. did you ever see Sydney James?

With theater of the absurd I think my favorite is Samuel Beckett, particularly his Waiting for Godot, then there's Tom Stoppard who wrote Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, however he had a much broader talent writing scripts for movies like The Russia House and others.

The trouble is that every one reminds me of another, I could rabbit on for ages:)

Thanks Moon

Croix

dueb
Community Member

hi croix

im all good,doing well ad keeping busy.

Moonstruck
Community Member

Do you see much theatre these days?

No I didn't see Syd James in anything.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al.~

I have a soft spot for Sid James - I first saw him in Hell Drivers and the last time with Hattie Jacques in Carry on Mstron.

No I'm afraid if I see two or three productions a year I'm ahead. I live nowadays in a rural setting with no entertainment without a pretty long drive. That would mean accommodation afterwards, not that easy.

I make an effort for the ballet plus sometimes my son kicks in for a birthday present, so not all gloom.

Unfortunately most things have to be on DVD, which does not really work for stage productions unless they are specially adapted - such as 12 Angry Men above. For example Rosencrantz and Guildenstern simply does not work in the small screen, but to be fair I did see the Yoshi Tosa set production which is hard for anything to compare to.

Mind you it's hard to predict what will survive transplant. Denholm Elliott does an excellent job of Dylan Thomas' A Child's Christmas in Wales.

As for farce, how about The Importance of being Ernest?

Croix (who wishes he lived off-Broadway)

Moonstruck
Community Member

I am very familiar with "Earnest" but wouldn't exactly classify it as a "farce". Written in 1895 and still thoroughly entertaining audiences today! (a woman should never be too accurate about her age - it looks so calculating!)

Have you seen the relatively new movie...Me Before You? about the active vibrant adventurous guy who ended up in a wheelchair and can't bear his life any more.

Watched it on DVD recently and quite blown away..it's wonderful. Delicately handled and superbly acted. Surprised to see Aussie actor Stephen Peacock in it, complete with Aussie accent.....I would recommend it.

It's been a while since I contributed to this thread Croix, so I thought today might fit the bill.

Firstly, I've just written on my thread Getting to Know You and forgot to mention your name; I'm sorry. You have afterall posted many times on there; omitting your name wasn't on purpose I assure you.

This thread is doing fabulously; it's a credit to you. Music, theatre and movies are a fave pastime for many, me included. Respite from annoying thoughts or triggers never goes astray.

I'm sure you're missing Dottie who's supported us both for many months. It seems she won't be returning which ails me as it must for you. Sending warm thoughts your way...

Moon; I've also watched 'Me Before You'; at first I thought it was an adaptation of the French film 'The Intouchables', but was an independent thought provoking film in its own right. I loved it!

Having a background in Disabilities, I found both films captured the essence of life without mobility or control in one's life. They represented very different aspects of care givers, family and relationships, though similar in ways as well.

How lucky are we to have our legs?

Cheers...

Sara xo

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara~

You are right, I miss Dottie too. Please don't worry about not mentioning my name, all is fine. The warm thoughts are particularly welcome at the moment. I'll talk more later

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Always warm thoughts coming from me too Croix, if you need them just now.

I think I need to play some Beatles but haven't got any. My son was huge fan and has wonderful collection of original old LPs..so I haven't any left to play. Hey Jude and John Lennon's "Woman" are my favourites. Eleanor Rigby is good too, it was written about a specific lady called Eleanor Rigby did you know that?

And Dear Prudence, refers to Mia Farrow's sister, who joined them on a stay with the Maharaji in India back in the Hippie Days of the 60s. She wouldn't come out of her room so one of them wrote Dear Prudence and sang it outside her door trying to coax her out.

Paul is doing an Australian tour in December....wonder how much the tickets cost.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara~

Sorry, I just was not up to replying then even though I was glad you posted.

Yes Dottie's absence leaves a gap, and sadly I'm not altogether sure she has left because she is in a good place. I certainly gained immensely and I'm sure you feel much the same. I do think it was very much mutual support, and hope our contact gave her a little ease and security when she needed it.

I looked at what you said to Moon about those two movies, both thought provoking in their way. I never watched Me Before You as the reviews indicated the main character dies and I did not want to watch that. I will watch The Intouchables if I get the chance.

I must confess any film dealing with quads does ,as you'd know, pretty things up so much that it feels a little unrealistic to me, dealing as I do with such matters regularly. Another that glosses over the same matters is The Bone Collector with Denzil Washington, otherwise a pretty good detective story.

Moon~ You warm thoughts are a blessing too. I know life is hard, it makes them that much more meaningful.

Woman is a lovely gentle romantic song, I particularly like it too. As For Ernest, farce or not it's truly great. I like you quote (very suitable of course) and also my favorite from there which is Lady Bracknell saying

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.

That December tour starts at $175 Melbourne & Perth and $250 Sydney, all going up to $800. Out of my league :-/.

No I had no idea Eleanor Rigby - or Father Mackenzie either - where anything other than names made up at random for lonely people. You certainly know a great many out of the public's eye type facts :). Who was she?

Croix