FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

Think l better walk away from the daily update for awhile this stuffs getting into my head again.

l only want the numbers and l only want those bc l hope for some good news. And the update's on right when l come in from work for a coffee so l supposedly have a quick check and then switch it off , but of course l often end up watching it all in the end.l'll have to check out for a few days, maybe there'll be some good news then.

rx

Hi rx I don't watch them and probably go to the other extreme, I worry about not knowing up to date info about lockdowm rules, as I am so completely avoiding the news. I only have a vague idea re if cases are going up or down. I don't know how to find the balance sadly between no news and useful news so I'm entirely switched off.

I gather though from the vibes from people here and IRL that there's high chance lockdown may continue in Vic.

How are Victorians staying sane and happy? My go suggested tending to plants, and I'm looking into that! Also trying new recipes, and journalling, helps me.

I struggle very badly when my MH appointments are cancelled, as was recently the case, although that wasn't covid related. Therapist just had an emergency! I am so rry if I've made anyone down with my venting. Thank out, sweet and supportive BBers

Hugs Anne with an e. I was very affected by what u wrote....feel every word. Thank you.

Anne......yes, you are right on the statement. It is so weird that a similar line was brought up by the WA AMA chief with an opposite idea. i.e. opening up with 70-80% of vaccination! we need 90%.......this is too depressing. 😞

Bit worried as my clinical appointment with a hospital clinicians is now online...it's an essential service and I'm surprised it isn't permissible. It ha d been scheduled last week for face-to-face, and today was told it's now telehealth. Makes me scared as the restrictions tighter. Feel like it's going to continue in that direction

Magicdragon
Community Member

During this lockdown has been hard, COVID in general has been hard. Last year I just lost my father near Christmas from cancer in a different country, I was stuck there for 5 months (pretty much isolated) before I could come back to Sydney. When I got back here I had to undergo quarantine for 2 weeks, terrible experience. At least for a 1 I was able to work and go out; but then lockdown occurred and I feel as though there’s no more hope. I lost another special someone in my life due to cancer and this time I couldn’t attend the funeral.

During this lockdown- for the past 3 or so months - literally staying at home I became self aware and was fine, but I had no job and tried to ask for Centrelink help but I struggled mentally and lacked motivation. I had only but my family, who was always busy working; leaving me pretty much feeling alone anyways.

Now knowing it’s pushed longer, my mentality has worsened. I have no one to talk too. I’ve lost friends, when I try to talk it would be with friends I’m not so close with, and it wouldn’t even last - just surface level communication. Everyone has been working or studying. But me I can’t start until next year to study. And no work.

I can’t see my bf who is more than 5 km away because its ‘dangerous’ I can’t drive so I wouldn’t put myself at more of a risk, even though it’s inevitable that the cases would just increase. I have been no where but at home. I haven’t really been upskilling but I’ve been trying.

Im now crying in bed because of the extension. I know everyone is having a hard time but at this point I feel so exhausted; I’m ‘content’ with doing nothing.

Resilience21
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

I have found great strength in dealing with "the current adjustment period"

by:

1. Living one day at a time.

2. Accepting the current situation.

3. Keeping busy. I am writing a book on Resilience.

4. Being grateful daily for the good in my life, however small.

Wishing you peaceful moments for tonight and tomorrow.

B

Resilience21
Community Member

The words we choose are powerful.

Instead of using the expression lock down, I think of it as "The current adjustment period".

This expresses to me what we are all going through at the moment. Each one of us is adjusting to life as we have never experienced it before. By placing emphasis on the word "current" it allows me to stay in the now mentally.

This too shall pass and other proverbs can be very strengthening.

Try to find some proverbs which resonate with you, make them your best friend,

instead of thinking the same old recycled thoughts of worry about the future.

All the best

B

There is no simple answer to this, usually a parent can tell if there child is unwell, but given the current situation it is hard to tell why they are unwell. Personally I have older children but if I had the choice sadly I would advise a Covid-19 test would be the first option, just to be sure. I am not sure where you live but delta is so transmissible it is best to seek help from a qualified professional, just to put your mind at rest.

The best way I find to stay sane is to concentrate on what I can do not what I can't. Another thing that can be done is to realise all you have achieved in life and write it down so when you feel a a little sad or anxious read it, it will give you strength and resilience.