FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work Anxiety

Macca96
Community Member

Hi all. I will keep this short and to the point. Recently I started a new job which is quite demanding and it has made me very anxious about deadlines and I worrie I’m not going to perform well. My tummy feels like it’s twisted and I feel very nervous about my work. This started 2 days ago and I haven’t been able to sleep. I can’t stop thinking about work!! Other symptoms include sweaty hands and loss of appetite. Is this GAD? Or am I just being silly? I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. 

29 Replies 29

Macca96
Community Member

If this new drug doesn’t work I don’t know what else to do. Been on 3 hours sleep every night for the last 8 months. I’ve been going to a psychologist but all he does is give me breathing excersizes to lower my heart rate but it’s not high to start with. It’s just a constant nervous feeling in my stomach. Constant from the moment I wake up till bed time. Sometimes it settles down at night but starts up again the next morning. So over it 😠
Oh and it’s all related to my job. Thinking what I have to do when I’m not even there. Even on the weekends. I’m so over it. If I could just sleep all night I might get better…

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Macca96,

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're struggling at the moment. I can definitely relate to you. Back when I had bad anxiety I would find it really difficult to sleep and function at work. My mind would always be occupied with the worst case scenario and I struggled to simply relax and enjoy myself. I would even work myself into panic about small issues such as minor physical injuries. You're right in that medication is a huge piece of the puzzle but also relaxation exercises can help as well as CBT. I assume this is what your psychologist is going through with you at the moment and hopefully it becomes easier to engage with if your medication turns out ok. I remember with my medication it took a few weeks before I noticed a difference but afterward my mind seemed alot clearer and my sleep improved. 

Also just another point, is it worth having a discussion with your manager about temporarily decreasing your workload to see if that helps? If it doesn't help then you know your nerves are a result of something else. 

Anyway, I hope some of this made sense. Please keep us updated. 🙂

Bob

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Macca, sometimes breathing exercises benefit people while other times it means absolutely nothing and if they aren't working then tell your psychologist, because there is no point doing this if it doesn't work.

How about move your bed and turn on the radio, I've found listening to music on a station you like takes your mind off while you listen to tunes, cry if you need to, but it always put me to sleep when I was thinking of troubled times and when you wake up it's still playing music.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Macca96
Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I will keep u updated. 

Bob_22
Community Member

Thanks Macca96 that sounds great.

David35
Community Member

Sounds like your job is getting on top of you. Do you like it? Is there something stressful at work that is occupying your mind?

Macca96
Community Member

I like it when I’m not anxious but when I’m anxious I dread it. It’s weird cause I changed jobs and got nervous about it after a month so I went back to my old job 8 months later (I wasn’t anxious at my old job) but I can’t seem to break the cycle. It’s just thinking about work in general. What I still need to do, if I’m doing it correctly. That sort of thing. 

David35
Community Member

Do you get much feedback from your boss or colleagues about how you're going? It could be that you're anxious about your work performance... A good boss will give you reassurance if you're doing well and give you constructive criticism to help you improve things. It's unsettling to not know how well you're going

Macca96
Community Member

Yes they do seem to be happy with me so why I keep asking myself do I still feel nervous about it???

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Macca96,

Sometimes anxiety just doesn't have an underlying cause and happens spontaneously. That is usually where medication and relaxation exercises play a role. I hope the transition to your new drug has been ok. The first 6 - 8 weeks can be quite a change/shock.