FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety symptoms

Pete2500
Community Member

I recently had some financial problems and within a few days I was, crying frequently at the smallest thing, having difficulty concentrating, feeling like my insides were shaking, feeling like vomiting and on some occasions stuttering and constant headache. Often after the sad feeling passes I will feel exhausted.

I have a wife and two young kids and I feel like I have let them down as I don’t know how to handle the situation. In addition I feel like I am being a burden on my wife as simple tasks feel impossible.

I have tried breathing exercises and going for walks. I seem to be stuck on a loop.

Are these common things that happen with anxiety?
I have tried breathing exercises and going for walks.

I don’t want to feel like this and I want to be back to normal.

Appreciate any advice.

thank you

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Pete, welcome

Indeed my anxiety peaked in 1987 when 31yo but started in my teens. When it peaked following a workplace issue that compromised my honesty, I attended a therapist and the next 12 months was a revelation that transformed my view on many things. Like you, then I was financially strapped and I learned that feeling challenged with money management effected me heavily.

So below is my account of my beating the illness. Unlike bipolar that I also have, anxiety is curable in most cases if you introduce a multi pronged routine.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/anxiety-how-l-eliminated-it/td-p/183873

You might not be able to carry out the mentioned tasks in that post without your wife assisting you. Your low self esteem wont help so your wife by your side every step of the way to boost you up will aid the process.

Try not to be so hard on yourself and acknowledge that big changes might be needed, nothing should be off the table.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/a-city-to-country-relocate-why-not/td-p/323767

It is wise to visit your GP. We men avoid a doctor but I proved it is essential. I was always fragile and cried a lot when young, that turned out to be another MI in dysthymia, so it is worth the chat and some tests.

I hope you pick up. Repost anytime

TonyWK

Hi Tony, thank you for your message. I had a session with a psychologist last week and he suggested two weeks off work, an hour walk per day and finding small projects to complete easily. 
Take care 

Pete 

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Pete2500,

Thank you so much for posting here, and we warmly welcome you to the forums.

I hear you. The behaviours that you have described sound like very common manifestations of anxiety. I've experienced these before, as somebody who does struggle with anxiety.

One thing that really helps me is journalling. There are several different ways to journal - you can write about your day, or something that's bothering you, or you could write a letter addressed to somebody (not one intended to send to them) expressing your feelings. I find that it's very therapeutic if I'm dealing with feelings of anxiety.

Of course, having a chat with a GP, therapist, or psychologist will also help you if you're seeking some professional advice on long-term anxiety management. 

I hope some of this advice resonates with you. Wishing you all the best, please feel free to chat some more with us if you'd like.

Take care, SB

David35
Community Member

The mental exhaustion is common with anxiety. Your brain is trying to resolve something that has been bothering you and it can't find a solution. Well, I'm no psychologist but this is my view of how it works with me. It's like my mind is expending 95% of its energy on trying to resolve these issues, whatever they may be, leaving me with only 5% for day to day stuff. A bit like running a car on only 1 cylinder. Sooner or later it overheats.

I either need to talk it out, go for a walk, etc. One thing is for sure, the more I avoid the feelings, the worse they get.

JED1980
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Pete

The symptoms i get are insomnia (due to worrying) my appetite dies as I feel sick when my anxiety kicks in.

Please don't be too hard on yourself. You are doing the best you can. Going to see a psychologist is a great step in getting the anxiety under control, and it sounds like they have given you some good tools.

Ive mentioned before on the forum, that i named my anxiety, and when he pops up, i shove him in a box and close the lid. It works now. But was hard at first.

Keep trying the tools the psych gave you, and a little self care goes a long way.

Talk to your wife. Let her in. She may be able to help you, and and she may then understand why some days you can't function at 100%.

We are always here to chat. Anytime. You've got this and i believe you can get it under control.

Jx