FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can’t take anymore

Hannan1-
Community Member

I’m 52 and been in perimenopause for 18mths. 
I’ve been tapered off antidepressant’s over the last 2 weeks (don’t want to go down that road again) 

I can’t cope with the constant palpitations, my legs feel weak and I’m scared I’m going to die from a heart attack. My heart holter monitor and ECG was normal.

Being told to cope with it is easier said than done. 
I feel like I’m letting my family down. I can’t die yet as l have a son with disabilities.🥲🥲🥲🥲 I feel broken with fear.

3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

welcome to the forums. I am guessing that based on ECG result and the section this post has been put into, that your fear of a heart attack is a result of anxiety. For you it is palpitations and for myself it was a racing heart and for me that was triggered by things at work.   I am unsure if the palpitations for you as result of some thing triggering or otherwise. And if otherwise, then I would also be concerned if that happened to me. 

Perhaps the two things that might help are (1) knowing the ECG results were normal and (2) he evidence would point to anxiety vs heart attack.

And it would be easier to say that vs the believe it all.

You have made it this far, which takes strength and courage. If you want to chat some more, I am here listening.

Thank you ❤️

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Hannan1-

Wondering if you've done any research into andrenal gland function/dysfunction, especially during perimenopause. While we can't literally feel the chemical reactions taking place, can definitely feel the side effects of them (whether production is overactive or under active). Btw, I'm also a 52yo gal who's trying to work out my own functions and dysfunctions.

While the absolute basics of chemistry, biology and psychology fascinate me, I'm one who loves to also research how I naturally tick. If quantum physics dictates we're comprised of energy (in the form of matter), the question becomes 'How does energy naturally behave?'. What exhausts it, what ramps it up into hyperactive almost unbearable states, what relaxes it and so on? How does mental energy interact with physical energy (how we feel/physically experience our thoughts), how does other people's energy impact our own energy (how we feel their words, behaviour, expectations, needs) etc? How do we calm our energy down, how do we ramp it up and how do we become sensitive enough to feel exactly what's going on, instead of us going insane guessing?

Personally, I can't sit with a stimulant. Whether the stimulant is stressful thoughts, increased cortisol levels or caffeine from 4 cups of coffee, I just can't sit with these things without my heart getting twitchy (palpitations). I have to be actively exhaust that kind of energy. Another one I can't sit with is stored tension. The kind of energy that's stored in the muscles can become painful when it gets too much.

If my body could talk, I'm convinced it would say to me 'Now, my dear, while you've seriously abused me at times and neglected me, you need to start putting some serious effort in and be much kinder to me if you wish to understand me better and have me serve you well'. I have to say, the hard work definitely begins around 50.

With you working so hard to evolve through the kinds of challenges your child needs to evolve through, the kind of work involved in that could easily be labelled at times as 'overwhelming' and 'exhausting'. I hope you have some people in your life to help you manage.