FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

The War and Ukraine … Strategies that can help

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I have seen and heard so much that is going on with the war in Ukraine 🇺🇦

My heart goes out to each and every one in Ukraine.

Our minds can begin to spiral in a negative way which is sometimes fuelled by anxiety in regards to the war.

When our thoughts begin to spiral…we can:

Just allow the thoughts to be there and then allow them to float away when they come back still allow them to be there and float away….. try not to give them your attention.

What we give attention to we give power to.

When we have the thoughts we can put our attention on something positive in the present moment and not what’s going inside our minds.

Focus on your breath, use your breath as an anchor this will help ground you.

If we want to do something positive for Ukraine we can pray for them and direct our positive energy towards Ukraine in their time of need to help lift them.

I believe that Ukraine are strong and very resilient people who would do anything to protect their country.

Hold high hopes for Ukraine we are with you .💪❤️

59 Replies 59

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Petal22,

Once again, you always have the most beautiful words for tough situations. This topic has given me so much anxiety, your post is really grounding.

"What we give attention to, we give power to", what a powerful way of putting it, and very true too.

I would like to second your message and send my love to the people of Ukraine, anyone with friends or relatives in Ukraine, and anybody else who may be affected by this current situation.

All my well wishes, SB

Doberman38
Community Member

Something I need to know for myself, is how much and at what times should I devote to being informed about the situation? I don't want to shut myself off completely, but I dread that any news about it would just be worse than last time. If I got updates in the morning, I don't even have a chance to unwind before being plunged into awful reality; if in the afternoon, it would just dampen my prime 'me' time; if at night, I surely wouldn't be able to sleep. I don't know how to strike the right balance.

I also want to get back to chatting with online friends from Europe and North America, but I can't bring myself to out of fear that they're all gonna be engulfed in it if things escalate. I even know someone who lives in Ukraine and I ironically am so worried for them that the prospect of contacting them just feels too overwhelming.

I just really don't know to handle these kind of situations, and I'm sure the same goes with most at the moment. I'm no longer in full panic mode like I was the first few days, but the whole thing has still got its opressive grip over me. I would love to hear any helpful suggestions.

Hi Doberman38,

I understand it’s hard to find balance maybe just limit yourself now until you are feeling more at ease and maybe on a good day just expose yourself for a time you feel comfortable.

When you do expose yourself and if you feel anxious try to turn your attention to something else in the present moment.

Practice some deep breathing.

We can’t control what is happening but we can always choose how we react to it.

Thanks very much, Petal. I'll certainly give it a go. 🙂

Hello Doberman, there comes a time when your curiosity and concern will overpower your other thoughts, but there may not be any way to contact them, this doesn't mean anything as the tele power may have been destroyed.

I wish I could give you the best time to watch the news but I can't, because we could say don't watch the evening news, but you might only be wondering what's happening.

My best.

Geoff.

fred4761
Community Member

Hi Doberman and everyone else,

I am really struggling too with finding a balance between keeping informed and then going down the rabbit hole of obsessively refreshing the news websites to keep up to date on the latest news about the war. The past few days I find that so much of my time is spent worrying about what is going on in the world. I like the idea of focussing my positive energy and thoughts and prayers on Ukraine rather than trying to overthink things - which definitely isn't helping me at the moment!

I have been trying to work out why I feel this need to know everything that is going on with the invasion. I do have friends in Russia who are struggling to understand what is happening and who have been suddenly cut off from the rest of the world. I know that I am worried for them. I also think that it is a control thing. A part of me somehow thinks that if I am informed about every single piece of news then somehow I can do something about it. Logically it doesn't make sense. My OCD likes to rear its ugly head in times like these. And just thinking about it now as I type, I feel like maybe if I feel bad enough it will somehow help the situation (which doesn't make sense either). I think that I feel guilty living my life and trying to be oblivious to what is going on in that part of the world when so many are suffering. I am not quite sure how to let go of that guilt though . . .

Hi fred4761,

Welcome and thank you for sharing.
I hope you don’t mind me saying but to me it doesn’t sound like you are being oblivious at all. You sound the opposite: caring, worrying about people at both ends of this war and trying to still lead a somehow normal life. I think there is a bit of guilt in all of us because suddenly we realise how lucky we are to live where we live and be safe. A very complex topic and no straight answer at hand.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks Petal for this post and to all those who have commented or read .

I avoid things in news that upset me up I am often accused of burying my head in the sand.

So there is a balance.

I am all too aware of the suffering In Ukraine and many other countries, of people whose lives are full of struggle and suffering.

I can feel for others without seeing every image or reading every article.

Hi Fred4761

Thanks so much for a brave post on how the world is feeling at the moment. OCD in times of such stress is incredibly hard. Self-care in moments such as this, it is really difficult to not feel some guilt when that self-care needs you to switch off and ignore for a while. 

Always remember, there is little we can do to help the world and the people who need us most if we hit the wall completely ourselves. Please do take whatever steps you need to to remain well and healthy in these really trying times. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need the extra support right now. 

Regards,

Sophie M