FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Strange symptoms. Told it's anxiety but am terrified!

opuses
Community Member
Hello, and thankyou all for reading. This is my first post here. I'm at the point of desperate to be reaching out like this. I keep being told by my GP its anxiety but my problem right now is health anxiety so being told to just relax doesn't help. It started a few months ago when I felt a cold spot on my cheek near my ear every day and it freaked me out. It lasted a month and has now been a few weeks since it's gone but in its place I have something worse. The top of my head has cold sensations like someone has put an ice pack on it. The last few days it has also turned to burning and that one can actually hurt a bit. I feel it more when I sit down and if I stand or have a shower or cry like a baby it goes away until I stop again. It really distresses me and only fuels my fear of a tumor or MS. My GP won't send me for a scan as they think nothing is wrong. But something is very wrong when you don't go to work anymore out of fear over what's happening. My GP did prescribe me anxiety medication and I was afraid to take one but I did and 4 hours later I started to feel disconnected, smelled a bushfire but nothing was burning and saw two people walk into my backyard (which I'm not sure happened or not as yet as we do have gardeners that come). But it was odd it all happened at the same time and this sent me into a panic attack and I ended up at the ER. I stopped taking it as anymore physical symptoms, even if normal to the medication, will give me attacks. Right now I am feeling the burning on my head but it's a bit to the right side tonight and along with it I've started feeling the tightness, the tension headache thing. I am terrified that it's a tumor or MS. I might stop doing that for now too. Anyway, am wondering if anyone has experienced these head sensations with anxiety? I find it hard to believe it is anxiety, but I will be the first to admit the last two years for me have been hell emotionally. I also feel like I'm starting to lose my mind, not knowing what's real or not anymore. I read that's common for anxiety but really??? Can someone actually 'lose' it? Like lose your awareness and intellect? That's what it feels like sometimes and now I just break down crying like a baby. It doesn't help that I am totally alone. No family and no friends as such that I can call at a moments notice or stay with me. I only have work acquaintances, so am battling this by myself and I feel it's only getting worse...
33 Replies 33

Hi sophia1997

Yes anxiety can cause lots and lots of symptoms and some of them are very strange .

If your doctor has given a Cat scan and knows your history then i would say they are on the ball .

Migraines can also cause what you talk about and without headaches . I get these and it might be something you could mention . I think they are called silent migraines .

But in saying that and the fact you say you have had anxiety then maybe its time to step up the fight against it .

Many years ago i heard a saying that stress turns to symptoms then to anxiety , then to panic . It will continue its way but it is really just your body telling you that something needs to change and the more you ignore it the more it will give you until you see and start that change.
Anxiety is not the horrible thing you make it out to be in your head and you can move past it and live well . In fact i think it gives you a better insight into life in the end .

cheers kev

I have anxiety and I'm having the exact same symptoms on my head you describe: numbness, burning, pins and needles/pricking. Would love to hear from anyone how to manage these symptoms as they are honestly terrifying and it's hard not to jump to conclusions that something more serious is going on.

Thanks

I'm having tingles, pins and needles, crawling on my hands and feet, electric shock on my foot. Google told me it's multiple sclerosis. I have seen a gp and neuro. They think it's my anxiety. I'm having an mri on spine and brain. Will know by the 3rd of Dec. I think it's anxiety. In 2014 I globus hysteria, the feeling of hair stuck in your throat and on the tounge. I know a oral hygienist who said it was anxiety and we treated it and I havnt had it since. Anxiety does weird weird things to the body. Do not read on google and rest assured it's probably our anxiety disorder. I'll let you know what the results come in.

JoH1991
Community Member

This is what I’m feeling right now. After a lot of stress - work, relationship trauma, coronavirus. my head has not stopped burning. I can’t sleep at night. I never knew this was a symptom of anxiety. I only ever got the chest pains, dizziness, breathlessness...