FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Something needs to change

Steve23
Community Member

Hi There,

If you’re reading this I hope you’re ok. 
I’ve had issues with sleeping since I was 18. I’m now almost 29. 
For the past year I’ve been in my worst sleep cycle ever. I started reading about sleep deprivation and the effects on the body of not getting enough sleep. Without going too far into it, I know it’s not good and 10 years of sleep deprivation cannot be reversed and I know my lifespan is shortened significantly because of it (when I say sleep deprivation I get less than 20 hrs sleep per week, and not all of that is quality sleep either). 
I try to physically exhaust myself by running in the middle of the night or early morning, going to 24hr gyms. I work so hard at the office each day, alienating myself from colleagues and not taking breaks because I just want to completely exhaust myself so I can fall asleep that night. 
None of this has worked. 
I can take 2 sleeping pills and 2 melatonins and not get a single second of sleep. 

I’m beginning to think that it’s nothing to do with my body. But my mind. Here are some of the reasons why I think this:

1) Whenever I get my blood pressure tested, it is always through the roof. I even had to take a blood pressure machine home for a month and I eventually worked out that when I really try to calm down and breathe I can actually reduce my reading. But does this mean when I am not totally focussed on being calm, I am constantly stressed and in high blood pressure?

2) I feel like 24/7 I am always shaking. My chest feels tight. My breath is shaky. My hands are not steady. I’m thinking negative or worrying thoughts and rarely thinking positively. 

Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what can be done? 

I’m at a complete loss and I am so tired. 

thanks, 

Steve 🙂

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Steve, welcome

I'm 68yo and in my working life I worked 12 hour shift work and snored. My previous partner told me I was stopping breathing as I slept. I did a sleep study and all was ok with mild sleep apnoea. 5 years later I had another one and it was moderate sleep apnoea so action was needed.

Sleep apnoea if you dont know is stopping breathing as you sleep and you are robbed of oxygen which can shorten your life span. However the human body is a remarkable thing so repairing damage sometimes happens automatically. I've been using a CPAP breathing machine for the last 15 years and frankly, havent had a bad nights sleep since, no longer have sore throats and wife is happier. I dont yawn much like I used to either and moods are better.

Machines start at $1200 for Chinese brands and $1500 for Aussie brands and those are for the auto models that adjust to your breathing. Model that dont adjust are cheaper. See your GP to get a referral for a study- well worth the effort. It is almost life changing.

The other concern I have is possible anxiety. Talk to your GP at the same time about that telling them what you've told us.

Finally - worry!!.  Worry doesnt produce anything but ulcers. If you are doing your best then worry is non productive.

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/anxiety/worry-worry-worry/td-p/87808

https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/staying-well/a-good-nights-deep-sleep-sleep-apnea-and-cpap/td-p/...

TonyWK

Number 86
Community Member

Hi Steve, I'm new to this forum. Sorry to hear of the sleeping challenges. I have experienced this. I did a sleep test 8 years ago and the results came back with the alpha intrusion I felt like I was going insane at the time and had that for many years. It got worse the more I focused on it. I am sleeping well now (no meds) and all that changed is I stopped focusing on it and worked on being more relaxed throughout the day and leading up to bedtime. The running and workouts would be keeping you in a stress state. Try to slow yourself down to get to a rest and digest state. If I work my stress up I hyperfocus to where I don't get tired at all and could run a marathon. 

Things that help me when I need help:

Talk about it. I kept it all to myself and talking about it really helps. 

Great diet with omega-3s and lots of vegetables 

Don't google. This has always been wrong and had me worrying for no reason. Speak with your DR instead.

Don't skip breakfast

Avoid caffeine 

Slow walks 

30 minutes of weights in the morning (not night)

Reading books on coping with anxiety 

Meditation (took a long time to rest enough for this, but now I pro at it)

Light therapy, avoiding lights a night and geting plenty of sunlight during the day.

Positive affirmations. 

Relaxing baths 

Massages 

Other tips. If you are like me and hyperfocus on things shift your focus to something more positive like a hobby. 

When super stressed racing heart, difficult breathing and all the other symptoms that come with the fight-flight-freeze response. I do slow deep breathing to relax the amygdala. The amygdala and the cortex don't talk too well so this is why when you are in that state you can't talk yourself to calm down as well, there's a language barrier between the cortex and amygdala but once aware, it will get very easy. Before you get to that state you can rationalise with the cortex by being kind to yourself. 

Also if it helps my nan and pop have had insomnia their whole life and are very healthy at 90 years old. 

learn new habits and be mindful when in a hyperactive state.

But as always consult with a Dr and know you have support.

Guest_9989
Community Member

I'm really sorry to hear you're struggling with sleep. It sounds incredibly tough. It does seem like stress and anxiety might be playing a big role in your sleep issues.

Have you tried speaking to a mental health professional about this? Therapy, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), can be really effective for sleep problems and anxiety.

Also, practicing relaxation techniques like meditation or deep breathing exercises before bed might help calm your mind.

You're not alone, and there are people who can help. Keep reaching out and don't give up.

That was really nice and comforting to read. Thanks very much 🙂

it all makes sense

Thanks very much. 
I do have another GP appointment booked in so will try and ask them for a mental health plan to see a psych, as the last appointment they didn’t recommend one. 
But I think it would be of great use. 
appreciate your response