FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overcoming anxiety of answering calls

Xavius
Community Member

So a few years ago I worked as a technical supervisor in the call centre of company I won't name. Being the piggy in the middle between call centre agents and my manager, I'd get all the angry people. This definitely took its toll on me. It got so bad that I quit that job, moved out of town, cancelled my mobile phone contract, deactivated my sim card and of course, severe depression.

I didn't have a phone for about 2 years and I absolutely refused to answer any calls. I didn't even answer my ex partners phones when they asked me to take a message. I physically just couldn't do it.

To some people it may sound silly, it kinda does though. But still to this day I have lingering effects of it. Although I've progressed and actually have a phone now, I don't answer private numbers or any other numbers I don't know. I don't even make any calls, when I do, it's a short conversation. I don't call unless I really, really, really have to.

Was thinking about seeing a hypnotherapist to see if that could help, but I'm a sceptic.

Anyone have any tips?

11 Replies 11

Xavius
Community Member

Hi Sophie_M and pipsy,

Sophie, I fully understand what you're saying. Thank you for popping by. I have researched PTSD a bit and felt like it's not me. If however it does come up in a discussion with my GP or psychologist, I'd take their advice and experience on the matter. Pipsy only meant well 🙂

Lynda, Unfortunately you are correct. I still have family in South Africa and just hearing the stories sends chills down my spine.

I've learned to manage racism accusations pretty well. It's funny how quickly people jump to the conclusion of racism when you don't agree on their views. I feel they need to be educated on what racism is and how it works instead of using it as an excuse.

I called my mum yesterday. We spoke about a couple things, although she did most of the talking. Will see how I go with that. Thank you for your kindness Lynda. Hope you're doing well.

pipsy
Community Member

Hi Sophie_M I apologize for any misleading comments made re: PTSD and anything else in regards to mental health concerns. PTSD and narcissism are two of the hardest conditions to diagnose as neither of them are straightforward. I was recently involved in a discussion re: mental health at work and one rather insensitive comment was made indicating PTSD was simply a 'state of mind'. The person leading the discussion was a Dr who specializes in mental health and he stated that narcissism and PTSD was often simply attributed to severe depression and the sufferer often was left undiagnosed and untreated due to lack of knowledge and denial on the part of the person with the condition. He went on to say if someone is suspected of suffering PTSD or narcissism, suggesting same could be beneficial to the sufferer. That was all I was attempting. I would still advise the person in question to seek medical help to confirm this or any condition. I never meant to imply Xavius definitely had PTSD, I was suggesting that as a possibility, but that was all I meant.

Lynda