FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Distructive thoughts

Brokenpeices
Community Member
I was laying there hugging my girlfriend when "my voice" popped its nose in once again, and it got me thinking, when I do things my head fills with what I assume are my voices (me) telling myself I am worthless or that what I am doing is wrong, or that someone isn't happy with me, for this example I was hugging my girlfriend, and the voices popped out of nowhere to say that maybe she doesn't want a hug, or I'm annoying her, or she doesn't love me, my head does this all the time, my voice constantly feeding me this negativity and not just one voice but sets of voices like I'm hearing myself 6 times at the same time, I then get anxious and freak out, my body feels weird inside, I'm afraid of what people will think, I don't know why it's happening and I can't control it. I sometimes just wanna scream at myself and tell myself to shut up.
1 Reply 1

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello and welcome Brokenpieces to our caring community here at BB;

It sounds as though you've got quite a bit going on there my friend. Invasive thoughts/voices definitely can be annoying, frustrating and concerning.

My name is Sara (Sconnor) and although I've had similar issues to deal with, I'm not a professional and can't refer you to medication or anyone specific. As a peer support person though, I can get you started by directing you to our links below and counselling service on 1300224636.

Each person has some level of internal self talk, but when it gets out of hand and you're to the point of screaming at yourself, (I've been there believe me) it's time to speak to your GP. It can be hard to start with disclosing this sort of stuff, but the benefits of a diagnosis and health care plan including medications and referral (if necessary) to relevant psychologists/psychiatrists, is well worth biting the bullet. Your GP has heard all this before.

The goal should be your holistic well being; this trickles down to relationships, work, self esteem/worth and quality of life. Living with invasive thoughts for the long term without support isn't productive or healthy; early intervention is so important.

When I first had my breakdown 2 yrs ago, my thoughts were invasive, delusional and erratic, causing me such fear I didn't think I'd ever get better, but I have. I learned really amazing strategies to at first, manage and cope with the symptoms, and then gradually it became a wonderful habit like driving a car. Those thoughts don't occur anymore, but occasionally it pokes its head out. I swiftly use my tools and it's gone.

There's hope...you had the courage to come on here and ask for help. That's a great start ok? Keep the momentum going. Post on here whenever you want; we're hear to listen and care about you. Well done and good luck!

Sconnor