FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Movin out

Guest_28198738
Community Member

Everyone is so happy we have bought and house in our early 20’s. I an really happy with what we have achieved, but haven’t moved in straight away as I live with my parents. Everyone is asking me why haven’t I moved in. I am petrified of leaving my parents as a result of health conditions. I hate change and can’t cope well. I cannot be alone

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear new member~

Welcome here to the support forum, a good place to get other's perspectives on things.

It is true that a first move from home can be very worrying, and if you have a condition that is best supported by your parents I'm sure there wil be strong temptation to simply stay.

As you say 'we' I am guessing you have a partner and am wondering how they feel about this and also if they could give you the same sort of support as you are getting now?

If you are having medical support then maybe talk to them about the anxiety and practicality of changing homes.

This decision does not have to be all or nothing. You might like to consider staying at your old home most days and the new one less often and see how it goes. Then maybe increase the days away from you parents.

It could take you several goes ot be comfortable wiht this idea however if you are able ot do so it can be a source of pride in yourself.

What do you think?

Croix

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey there, thank you so much for posting and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on the house, but I'm sorry to hear about your parents' health. It's difficult to see our parents in suffering. 

Change can be scary, and there can be a lot of it in our 20s. On one hand, moving away from familiarity can be difficult to adjust to, as it's comforting to have a routine and a sense of predictability in our everyday lives. But on the other hand, change can be refreshing, as it gives us an opportunity to experience something new and to learn more about ourselves and our world. 

I'd like to echo Croix here, in that having others' support in the move can be really helpful. Are there other people involved in looking after your parents and their health? If you have siblings or other loved ones who are also involved, you may find it useful to share the responsibility and chat about what this shared care may look like for you all.

If you're moving in with somebody else, have a chat to them about how you're feeling and they may be able to offer some advice or give some assistance to help you out. Have friends or other loved ones stay with you if you need, and you do also have the option of alternating staying with your parents and at your new house, particularly if you live relatively close by. 

You may also find it useful to get some professional advice about this as well, speaking to either your own GP or your parents' healthcare providers to see how much they recommend you to be visiting or staying with them, given the condition of their health. 

Please feel free to continue chatting with us if you need to, we're here to listen. 

Wishing you all the best,

SB