FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Life is so hard right now

Booklover17
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi

Haven’t posted in a while but really struggling. In lockdown, have anxiety, live alone, can’t participate in singles bubble and going through a divorce. Anytime I have a conversation with someone it’s always like “well talk to you later.” I just wish just one person would stop saying this and just talk to me for a bit longer. I fee so lonely right now. It’s not like I can tel my friends/ family how I am feeling - they don’t get it and have not checked in with me at all - they seem to be unaware or don’t want to ask how I am really doing. I just want someone to talk to me.

31 Replies 31

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome back!. It has been a while.

That single period following separation is really hard to endure. I've been in that zone 3 times now and promptly found another partner quite quickly to relieve that loneliness.

One obvious problem is people are much busier than ever before even in lockdown while others don't tend to have ling conversations. But it's sad they can't predict your sadness and need for their company.

My wife and I talked about this today, what we'd do if one of us passed away. Both of us agreed the one left alone would buy two little dogs. We have a 9yo mini foxy and she's adorable. Two of them would play together and keep one company. But you might not be in that situation.

I also have the advantage of several interests. I'm retired but active. I just finished building our house. Now I do gardening, welding, reply to others here which is rewarding, follow a footy team and walk the dog. But I do have cuppa' s and conversations with my wife and that's the hollow you find hard to fill.

I don't have any other ideas atm. I'm glad you feel comfortable returning to the forum

TonyWK

Snaedis
Community Member

Hi Booklover17's

I am so sorry you feel like this but there's a lot of people out there feeling same as you and maybe that will provide with some comfort. I am personally struggling to shake of feelings of depression and anxiety so I dont want to sound like know it all. You may have already done this but ask if your friend or family is able to talk to you a little longer, being straightforward might just help. Something else that worked for me was telling myself forget those people who don't care enough and focus on myself, because I am the only one that can care for myself. So, love to be with yourself, read books, and go out for a walk (if you can) and get a coffee. One thing that I heard in therapy thats helped me so much is see yourself as a another person and treat them like you want to be treated. I might exactly know how you feel when you just want someone to check up on you and genuinely talk to you. I hope maybe this helped or maybe I just babbled on. But if you feel like talking to someone just message, always here xxx

Hi Tony,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I don’t mind my own company really but I just really need some human contact right now. I have a cat and love having a cat and that helps but I also need some human contact too. I decided to organise online trivia with some of my friends because I thought this could be fun but they all cancelled on me. Something must be wrong with me. That or I need some new friends. Thank you for your message, I really appreciate it.

Booklover17
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Snaedis

Thank you so much for your message. I just miss human company so much. As I said to Tony I organised online trivia for some of my friends and they all cancelled. Something is wrong with me or I need new friends.

Hi again

It seems you have good insight and I think the disappointment of then cancelling has caused you reactions.

It's also good you know of some of the remedies like finding new friends. That's s good idea.

I don't think there is anything wrong with you. I find thinking of friends as a fluid motion is best, some come and go, some are toxic needing disconnection and others are best forever but that's us dreaming.

Sometimes it's a good idea to not contact friends and wait till they contact you. It's a test really as a sound friendship take effort on both sides.

TonyWK

Hi Tony,

Thank you. I have done that before - not contacting friends and waiting for them to contact me. They do eventually. I guess maybe they want a different type of friendship than me - they want a more come and go casual thing and I want a type of friend who checks in on a more regular basis - especially since they do know of my situation. Guess I am dreaming. Sorry I am so negative. Just how I am feeling right now.

Learn to Fly
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Booklover1

Thank you so much for your post and reaching out. I am here for you. Tell us a bit more what goes through your mind or heart, if you feel like. You are so right: these days everyone seems to operate on the “talk you later” mode. Due to restrictions it is virtually impossible to create a situation of friendly intimacy and share whatever is bothering you.
Look after yourself.

Hi Book lover17 and welcome!

It's really hard to make friends and for those of us living alone it can be tough! I've come to the conclusion you only find a very few really good friends you can rely on.

I live alone with my little dog and I've tried over and over to make a couple of friends here, but in a large regional town the women in my age group seem to have cliques they've known forever and they don't need anyone new. I can't find a way in and now lockdowns make it even worse!

Does your name mean you like reading? We are in hard lockdown here but I love reading and keep in touch with a few book bloggers in Australia and it's a real help to have them to chat with even online like here.

I've also noticed when I am out walking my dog how many people alone are also lonely and in need of a chat. Even just this is a help. Is there a park where you could walk and maybe try chatting to someone else alone or walking a dog?

You're very welcome to browse the forums and join in any discussions here!

Are you in a city or regional area?

I'm sorry your friends cancelled on your plans. It's hurtful and disappointing when people do that.

Being lonely is a problem for so many of us these days so please don't think it's about you!

I miss just being able to chat with the staff in the library when I go there but that's closed now too!

I learn music here and at least I can talk to a couple of people from my music school on the phone as we can't meet up in lockdown!

Being lonely and needing human company is something I truly understand and it's miserable.

Be kind to yourself. Do keep talking to people here!

I wish I could think of more ideas but I think I'm having the same problems as you are! I don't know what I'd do without my dog Sam.

Cats are great too! What's his/her name and what kind is he/she?

Virtual hugs to you from me and little Sam (in my picture) 🙂🐾🐕💖🌷😷🎶

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Booklover,

I'm really sorry that you feel that way. This lockdown has changed a lot of people's lives. I know how you feel. I have lost a lot of friends during this lockdown. No one keeps in touch.

Say hi to your friends once in a while, they probably are feeling the same way as you. Telling your family how you feel can also be really helpful.

Just remember, this community is here to support you! So if you need someone to talk to all the time, we are here!

There are also certain apps where you can make new friends such as Yubo and Friended 🙂

I hope you are feeling okay!