FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How To Stay Afloat

Lu8Lu8
Community Member

Hi all, it’s been a while since I’ve been in here. I’m really struggling again with anxious thoughts and feeling like I’m drowning. I am struggling to even find the place to start. 

I am studying my masters in teaching and am currently on placement and absolutely loving it. However, I feel a little overwhelmed by the workload of uni assessments and prac teaching. I’m also stressing about going back to my regular teacher aide job once prac is done as I know I will hate not being able to teach. My partner and I are also looking to buy our first house together which has been stressful figuring out what we both do and don’t want, looking at houses and getting excited and then disappointed when things aren’t as they seem. My partner also works a lot so we barely get time to see each other and it gets lonely. I don’t really have friends either because I find it hard to make and keep friends due to personality differences. 

Even though I seem to be handling everything on my plate okay, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes. I get anxious and I overthink and worry about how things will turn out or if they will turn out. It can be hard to switch my mind off to go to sleep at night. I try to listen to soundscapes and meditations every once in a while which can help but often it just irritates me. I do yoga but I just don’t find the time to be consistent with it. 

I honestly want to start a hobby like watercolour painting to take my mind off things but I think it might just add to my stress. Maybe? I don’t know. 

Has anyone got any ideas that I can try to help me manage my anxiety and relax better? I am really trying to stay afloat here. 

2 Replies 2

ABC01
Community Member

Dear Lu8Lu8,

I am sorry to hear in your post that you are having such a hard and conflicting time.

I too suffer from severe anxiety and can empathise,especially with the amount of things you seem to be juggling all at the same time. The overwhelming amount can feel suffocating or hard to feel as if your head is above water.

I think it is fantastic that you are studying and doing placement. Then looking for a home to create a new life with someone you love. You have drive and courage.

Anxiety is such a beast. It makes us over analyse every single outcome that is possible and makes us doubt that we a strong enough to handle it. That is why it is a beast. So you not being able to quiet your mind to sleep,is also the beast.

But the great thing is that you are self aware of it and can identify it. That is such a strong trait to have when it comes to dealing with anxiety.

I think you are doing great and trying to find and explore different methods to help with your anxiety. Painting is such a great expressive outlet,as long as you are not a perfectionist like me. I hate mindfulness coloring if I cannot finish the whole picture in one go. However if I cross-stitch I find that relaxing and rewarding that I create a picture out of my hands. Sure I have to count and can’t finish everything in the one sitting,but there are some very amusing patterns out there and potential for gifting in the future.

I will tell you what not to do….oragami! Even with instructions I still can’t get it??🤔

I can share that reading the original Pride and Prejudice book,as well as Anne of Green Gables will put me to sleep within 10-15mins.

The best advice I can tell myself is when I seek something new,it is best not to force myself into liking something just because I think it might help. Lean into things you already have a partial interest in. Or even something you believe would be a great business opportunity if you ever truly wanted to give it a go. But making/doing that just for yourself maybe fun. People crochet “Positive Poos”. That had to start somewhere. 🙂

Doing so much all at the same time is overwhelming,so you need to create some time just for you. Bath bombs/shower steamers in the shower, trying a new flavour of teabags or pulling out an old favourite piece of clothing and wearing it again with refound happiness,can be uplifting and just about you.

I wish you well. And don’t be discouraged if painting doesn’t work out. MANY of my paintings are abstract. That is how they ended up being when I finished them anyway.

ABC01

Dear ABC01,

Thank you for your reply, it was really heartwarming knowing someone else has been through periods of similar anxieties. I do have a strong interest in painting and I have completed various (and rather ambitious) projects in the past but never in the watercolour style so thought it would be a good outlet to try. I appreciate your advice especially when talking about taking time for me. I’m not very good at putting myself first even when I recognise that I need to put myself there. I very much put everyone else before me and that probably doesn’t help the anxiety. Thank you again for your tips. 
Lu8Lu8