FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Generalized dizziness/vertigo

DN129
Community Member

Does anyone experience these traits? I know its common in the midst of a panic attack, but I get them on a more generalized basis.

Sometimes if I've had particular stress/anxiety I go into a state I call feeling very 'zonked out'. Heavy eyes, tension, lethargic movement. I find that sometimes when I lay down I feel off balance, like i'm spinning or on a boat or something moving. Its very off putting, especially when it doesn't seem to be due to a current panic/stress situation.

Unfortunately I have found, there isn't a health professional that you can discuss the symptoms of anxiety with. You have GPs who don't really understand and psychologists who have no interest discussing the physical, just the mental.

13 Replies 13

Zeal
Community Member

Hi DN,

Thanks for your post!

While I don't experience these symptoms, others on this forum do. I'd like to direct you to previous threads on this topic, so you can read comments and advice that may help:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physical-anxiety-symptoms#qd9LqXHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physical-symptoms#qjGku3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physiological-symptoms-of-anxiety#qdvzY3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

This Beyondblue fact page has general info on anxiety symptoms (you may be familiar with this info, but it's worth a read anyway): https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/signs-and-symptoms

It's a shame you haven't felt as though you can discuss your range of anxiety symptoms with a health professional. Psychologists are typically more familiar with psychological/mental symptoms, though they should understand physical symptoms associated with anxiety. Health psychologists would be more fluent in discussing these symptoms. It's often worth finding out what areas a psychologist has special interest in. Last time I decided to see a new psychologist, I noticed my local psychology practice had an online summary of the expertise and special interests of each psychologist who worked there.

Some GP's have a good understanding of mental health conditions, while others unfortunately are a bit behind in this area. It's worth making an appointment with another GP who is more knowledgeable when it comes to mental health. You could privately ask the receptionist at the clinic about this.

It would be great to hear back from you 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi and welcome to our caring community DN;

Thankyou for starting your own thread, this is an interesting issue.

I agree most psychologists and psychiatrists don't go into the physical aspects of anxiety, but your GP should be able to discuss your nervous system with you. That's where our physical stuff comes from after long term or chronic anxiety/depression. It can also be caused by lack of, interrupted or bad quality 'sleep'. My anxiety gets worse if I don't have a good night's zzz's.

There are anti-anxiety med's that give great relief and relaxation to settle into a good sleeping pattern. I can't name them due to 'rules of posting' but if you talk with your GP, they could prescribe something to suit.

I've learned it's all about balance...rest, good food, good beverages, sleep and a positive medication/treatment plan including therapy. What you've described is similar to vertigo - motion sickness = out of balance.

Please don't be scared of it, the body has it's own way of responding to stress and trauma. Everyone has their own specific symptoms, so it's important not to worry or compare yourself to others.

I wish you well and hope to read more from you...

Hugs...Sara xo

DN129
Community Member
Zeal said:

Hi DN,

Thanks for your post!

While I don't experience these symptoms, others on this forum do. I'd like to direct you to previous threads on this topic, so you can read comments and advice that may help:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physical-anxiety-symptoms#qd9LqXHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physical-symptoms#qjGku3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/physiological-symptoms-of-anxiety#qdvzY3HzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

This Beyondblue fact page has general info on anxiety symptoms (you may be familiar with this info, but it's worth a read anyway): https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/signs-and-symptoms

It's a shame you haven't felt as though you can discuss your range of anxiety symptoms with a health professional. Psychologists are typically more familiar with psychological/mental symptoms, though they should understand physical symptoms associated with anxiety. Health psychologists would be more fluent in discussing these symptoms. It's often worth finding out what areas a psychologist has special interest in. Last time I decided to see a new psychologist, I noticed my local psychology practice had an online summary of the expertise and special interests of each psychologist who worked there.

Some GP's have a good understanding of mental health conditions, while others unfortunately are a bit behind in this area. It's worth making an appointment with another GP who is more knowledgeable when it comes to mental health. You could privately ask the receptionist at the clinic about this.

It would be great to hear back from you 🙂

Best wishes,

Zeal

Thankyou for the reply Zeal and the information.

It seems anxiety can have a large troubling amount of symptoms. I agree with you, maybe it is time I looked for a new psychologist. The one I saw came highly recommended and seems very nice/good. But I think there is another element in actually helping than just seeming nice and a good person. Some people do find them very helpful to see, so it may be worth giving it another shot.

DN129
Community Member
Sara_Conna said:

Hi and welcome to our caring community DN;

Thankyou for starting your own thread, this is an interesting issue.

I agree most psychologists and psychiatrists don't go into the physical aspects of anxiety, but your GP should be able to discuss your nervous system with you. That's where our physical stuff comes from after long term or chronic anxiety/depression. It can also be caused by lack of, interrupted or bad quality 'sleep'. My anxiety gets worse if I don't have a good night's zzz's.

There are anti-anxiety med's that give great relief and relaxation to settle into a good sleeping pattern. I can't name them due to 'rules of posting' but if you talk with your GP, they could prescribe something to suit.

I've learned it's all about balance...rest, good food, good beverages, sleep and a positive medication/treatment plan including therapy. What you've described is similar to vertigo - motion sickness = out of balance.

Please don't be scared of it, the body has it's own way of responding to stress and trauma. Everyone has their own specific symptoms, so it's important not to worry or compare yourself to others.

I wish you well and hope to read more from you...

Hugs...Sara xo

Thankyou for the advice Sara.

I agree with you that the anxiety is worse when you're tired. I think anxiety is primarily a type of 'loss of control' fear. So if you feel closer to that loss of control, it amps up the feedback loop of anxiety. So if your eyes are really heavy that fear of fainting in a public place or whatever may be stronger.

I agree, that I think once you learn to 'go with' the symptoms, they do reduce in severity. It seems that is a very long process though unfortunately, you seem to have a 'mind' and then a 'mind on anxiety'.

mpmelb
Community Member
I was having the symptoms of headaches, dizziness and excessive yawning with my anxiety. I was told to check my breathing as I was actually in a constant state of hyperventilation and had no idea. I had gotten into a habit of shallow breathing which caused me to become dizzy and the yawning was actually me gasping for a full breath. It's a difficult habit to break but once I worked on it, I noticed all of the symptoms disappeared. It always flares up straight away when my anxiety is bad. Not sure if you've noticed breathing irregularities but I didn't either until the doctor pointed it out.

m_bel
Community Member

Hi DN,

I think I know what you mean. I describe it as "it feels like I'm on a boat" to my doctor and she doesn't quite understand. I have felt it when I lie down but I often feel it just walking around too. I find it very hard to walk properly sometimes.

The doctors have put it down to a constant state of anxiety for me. I found mpmelb's point about constant hyperventilation interesting - I might look into that!

pipsy
Community Member

Hi DN129. The main problem you seem to be experiencing here is lack of understanding and knowledge. I have a job where we assist the elderly with their shopping etc. One of our clients (an elderly gent) suffered the same symptoms you are describing. In his case, it appeared he was really enthusiastic when he knew he would be going out. He would wait outside where he lived till the van arrived. Then he would spiral down. He would shake uncontrollably, experience extreme difficulty breathing, occasionally he would actually vomit. He also complained regularly of vertigo. Time after time we would report this to the place he lived in. Constantly we were ignored. He visited his daughter last year in N.S.W, he suffered the same symptoms the morning he was due to board the plane. While he was with his daughter, she took him to her G.P. He was tested for everything known to man, blood tests, balance tests, x-rays for irregular heartbeat etc. It was discovered his blood pressure tablets were excessively high, along with other medications for various other illnesses reacting against each other. I haven't seen him for some time, but I regularly inquire as to his health. His blood pressure is great, better than ever, his heartbeat is regular, his balance, while not perfect, means he no longer needs assistance. The vertigo has ceased. The vertigo seemed to be caused by the blood pressure which was elevated due to excessive b.p tablets. It's quite a vicious merry-go-round and because this guys daughter took the time to listen, she realized he had a serious problem. I'm not saying you have a similar problem, but you need to get checked for heartbeat, b.p, diet could be a contributing factor too. Keep persisting till you find a Dr willing to listen.

Lynda

girl_interrupted
Community Member

Hi DN,

Thank you for your post! I have often wondered why I get these symptoms - whether it's actually anxiety or something else. True that it may be worse when we are tired and worn out from the stresses of work/life etc. My mother (in her 70s) also experiences virtigo and has had a long term anxiety disorder (you gotta love genetics). I'm not sure if she has got many answers from her doctor as to why or how to resolve it, besides breathing techniques, meditation and eating well, which she does. Interesting what Pipsy said, as both Mum and I have low blood pressure. Definitely worth mentioning to the doc. Sometimes I get it just when I'm emotional/excited and reach down to pat/hug my dog. Other times it's lying down or just standing still at work. I will discuss it further with my doc, although I suspect there isn't a simple answer/fix. I hope you get some answers soon.

Take care and keep in touch,

GI xx

Thanks for your post. This is a really interesting topic. Breathing could definitely play a big role in these symptoms. My mother practices chi breathing (Chi Quong) which is very good for cellular respiration and general well-being. She always feels calm and energized after doing her breathing exercises. I find that I hyperventilate too much, but I guess it's a matter of practice. Can I ask how you learnt to breathe better? Did you follow a set exercise from your doctor/other source?