FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Eco anxiety in Perth

Bookgirl
Community Member

Hi, we are in the middle of a horrible heatwave here and its causing me a lot of anxiety thinking about the future and generally just stressing out about it all.  Just seems so insurmountable and i feel overwhelmed.  My 15 year old son gets angry at me for being pessimistic but its hard to be optimistic when its over 40 degrees for a long time.  I just feel like i am sinking right now.

101 Replies 101

So its raining and colder but my ocd is still not happy. Still looks at the weather report and tells me that it should be colder. Tells me that things aren't right. Even though last year i never looked at the weather report and i couldn't tell you from day to day what the temperature was. Its like this devil on my shoulder always telling me to be afraid, that things will get worse.  Its like living with the biggest bully you have ever known that you can never switch off.  It tells me not to relax, that i have to be on my guard always  because there is always, always something there to hurt me. To hurt my family.  I try so hard to fight the bully every day but its exhausting and some days i win and some days i can't get out of bed.  But today i will be grateful for the rain and tell myself its ok to relax once in a while.

I don't know how to hope anymore about the future. My son says we will learn to adapt but there will be a lot of pain before that. In the apocalyptic sci fi books they always say that "something happened" to wipe out the last culture but nobody remembers what that was.  I think maybe its because of this. The slow descent into uncertainty that was so traumatic that everyone just wiped it from history. It was too traumatic to remember. Every month they say "hottest month on record, hottest temperature" etc etc.  I am so tired.