FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dear Anxiety

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

At times I tell my anxiety to stop, go away, leave me alone. I thought it might be good to put it into a post. Feel free to write your own letter. 

Dear anxiety,

I've has enough of you & you need to leave. I am a strong, confident, positive person & you come in & try to take it away. You always pounce when I'm a little vulnerable & you just keep pick, pick, picking at me until my thoughts go round in circles.  Well, you won't win. I know your game & I'm not playing.

Go back into your little hole, you won't get the better of me 

Cmf

33 Replies 33

Bob_22
Community Member

Dear Anxiety,

"“She stood in the storm & when the wind did not blow her away, she adjusted her sails.” Elizabeth Edwards

Bob

Annas1
Community Member

Hi Bob, CMF and all,

I agree, this personification of our struggles is very useful. For a long time I have simply wanted to expunge my anxiety and free myself from its suffocating grip. I still don't enjoy/want/seek being anxious whatsoever, though I have gained some important insights about how it shows up for me. First, anxiety can often be a warning bell that something is not right in my relationships or my expectations of myself. I'm trying to get better at picking up on its "ring" before it becomes deafening and I can't hear anything clearly. So, "hello in-built warning system, what do you have to draw attention to today?" I might ask myself when the ringing starts.

Secondly, accepting that an over-active nervous system is part of who I am is a lesson in humility. I have some great qualities and some real difficulties to manage, so I'll never be perfect. And this is a-okay. Anxiety helps me stay grounded, imperfect and human. Of course I struggle with this. Often. But philosophically I like the idea that to be human is to be imperfect. So anxiety can be my inbuilt grounding mechanism sometimes.

Thoughts for the day.

Annas

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Welcome Annas1 

I agree. Anxiety can be grounding.  It reminds me to be grateful for what I have.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Anxiety 

You are niggling,  niggling, niggling. You want me to feel alone but I have support if I reach out. You want me to feel lonely, but I have people if I want. You are like a Ferris Wheel in my mind. Spinning, spinning, round & round. Heart racing, feeling shakes. I would feel the same if I went for a long run. So I'll tell myself I've been fir a long run. You are, after all, just a feeling do I'll swap you out for something else.

See ya

Cmf

Annas1
Community Member

That's fantastic CMF!!

I'm also getting that incessant "alert, alert, alert" at the moment from Anxiety. I'm pretty wiped after some heady days of preparing to travel. Not fun. So, Anxiety, despite your best efforts I'm going on my trip, going to let you come along if you insist, but I'm off and going to enjoy myself with my family in the sunshine. I've got lots of tools in the kitbag these days - you've taught me well. So, hang around, go away, whatever, I'm going forward into the future I have chosen. Adios!

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Anxiety,

Today I have been overcome with a sense of calm. I am exhausted. You have completely drained me but I am in the zone, had a productive day at work & enjoyed a walk in the crisp air on my lunch break. I am breathing deeply & slowly. I am calm, relaxed, my mind is clear of your chatter.  I am so tired,  no energy, but I feel calm. I'm looking forward to closing my eyes & allowing sleep to takeover.

Tomorrow is a brand new day.

Cmf

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Anxiety, 

So you're back. I'm trying to remember how I feel when your not around but struggling. Today is hard.  I give up,  you win. 

I want the calmness, the stillness, the clear mind that makes no noise. I want you gone.

Go away, stop putting fear & doubt on my mind. Everyday life is a struggle.

Leave me alone. Don't wanna do this anymore. 

Cmf

Bob_22
Community Member

Hey Annas1,

What great insight! I never thought of anxiety like that. But yes its definitely understandable to not want anxiety whatsoever. Like yourself, I've learned to manage it sometimes with my own toolkit. I hope your trip goes well! 🙂

Bob

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Anxiety,

Just bugger off. You've been lingering for weeks & I'm sick of you.  You make me feel isolated, drained, lonely, useless.

Just ger lost. You are a waste of my time & energy.

Yours sincerely 

Cmf

Annas1
Community Member

Oh CMF, I hear you! I've also been on a long and windy jag of anxious days and nights. Exhausting, demoralising, unfair.

So yes, get lost for a while Anxiety, give me some reprieve to rest and recoup. I deserve the peace, I've earned it as I've weathered your icy blasts and constant thrum. I'm actually pretty resilient if I consider what I have endured, managed and shared. I'm trying to act in a way that I can be proud of, despite the extreme discomfort. I choose to be proud of myself. I'm proud of you CMF. You are strong and brave. All power and ease to you.

Take care,

Annas