FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

CHEST TIGHTNESS??????

worriedrachael
Community Member

Help!

*a little disclaimer *

i have had my heart listened to and I have been told that I have no trace of asthma.

so my new anxiety symptom( I thought I had experienced thm all!) is chest tighness?

please if anyone gets this let me know your experience and if you have overcome it.

my chest tightness feels like someone is sitting on my chest and is so uncomfortable , but goes away if I can distract myself....

i feel like I'm going bonkers....yes I have started to see a pschcologist also seeing bev aisbett for a counselling session( she is the author of the "IT" series) I have been prescribed medication and am still contemplating it.

Has anyone been on an anti-depressant?

thanks xxxx

3 Replies 3

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Rachael,

You sound very pro-active.  Well done.

Anti-depressant can be both short or long term.   They don't always make a good fit so there are several different types to basically try until one works the best.   It's not worth trying them if you want a cure as they basically mask the symtoms of depression and part of depression cuts down your immunity system.  But you're cheast pains from anxiety is a real concern.

When you say it "feels like someone sitting on my cheast" you are echoing the Medieval painters.   Some would depict a person sleeping on their back with a sort of figure hunched on their chest. So Medievalists has the same feeling and sought to portray it with art.    The constriction is caused by muscular contractions - you probably get shortness of breath too.  It's all wound up and no place to go.  A good massage once a week or a bit of walking can lessen the tightness.

You might find some trauma from the past is inside your subconscious.    A few counselling sessions would help ease these inner thoughts that are so well interpretated by the physical cheast tightness.   GP's have what's called A Mental Health Plan.  Basically your usual details and a referral for up to 10 free sessions.  Something has definately happened in your past to cause this anxiety.  Then when you anticipate a future event which heralds more difficulty (probably something more serious than "Where's the remote ?"  Lol) this anxiety kicks in again.

Some asthmatics turn to swimming.  Even though you don't have asthma swimming is great for stretching the body out.  Anxiety is kind of a double edged thing - a real pain if it is inhibiting yourself but a terrific boost if you are about to perform something wonderful.  Part of the bodies NATURAL coping mechanisms.

Adios, David.

PS  I have to go to bed soon as my wife has reminded me we have a "big day" tomorrow.  Yep, City of Sydney Council meeting for a NYE gig - we have to anxiously plod though the essentials of the big gig like parking and guests.   Makes me laugh.  We usually get 4 guests per performer (we have a big band) but this year the admin decress we get 2.46 guests per performer (OK, that's 32 guests for 13 musos). I might have to sit on the Administrators cheast myself..................

Jonathan
Community Member
I started out having sharp pains under each arm and in the centre of my chest after a medical all clear and being told I was having anxiety attacks its now the same feeling you describe. Other symptons include heart racing, a feeling of dread and of confusion. Your not alone.

Damien
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Rachael,

There is a short clip on the beyondblue YouTube page about chest tightness, it's part of the "My Name Is Anxiety" programme starring Ben Mendelsohn.  I know this clip is there because I am the bloke in the clip!!

Yes, I know this symptom.

Unlike you I do have a diagnosis of asthma, and bronchitis which flares up every winter after a particularly nasty bout of it I had while visiting Britain in 2000-2001.  But when the squeeze comes I know the difference, especially when I take my puffer "anyway" (knowing it isn't asthma) and the tightness doesn't shift.

I am on an SSRI tablet and have been since (diagnosis in) 2009, but since chest tightening is for me now a "panic attack" sort of thing rather than a daily life thing (as it was in the years before I was being treated for GAD), the tablets themselves don't actually do much in the short term "emergency".  It's then that I have to practice laming myself down with breathing, meditation, and self-soothing "it's okay Damien, you'll be fine, it's all good mate" mantras.

As I say I get this MUCH less than once I did, generally staying well in ways to alleviate all the GAD stuff knocks this one out too, but yes when it comes, along with heart palpitations and the impending sense of Armageddon it's pretty bloody nasty.  If you are seeking treatment (and you say you are, yay Rach!!), then hopefully as you get "better" this too shall pass.

Bless.