Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

annabay what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?
  • replies: 749

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience? I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come... View more

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience? I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone. hope everyone is well.

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

jess334 Back to the begining
  • replies: 5

Anyone have those days where you feel like your right back where you started all those years ago before the medication and therapy? Today is one of those days. Woke up, had breakfast and then when it was time to go to work I had a huge panic attack. ... View more

Anyone have those days where you feel like your right back where you started all those years ago before the medication and therapy? Today is one of those days. Woke up, had breakfast and then when it was time to go to work I had a huge panic attack. One of those that seem to go on forever, when in reality it was about 3 minutes. All those awful symptoms; heart racing, nausea, fear, hot & cold runs. I gave in, took some meds and went back to bed. It took 40 minutes of meditation before I could relax my muscles and brain. Luckily my boss is amazing and when I told her I couldn't come in this morning she understood. Now its 3 hours later and I'm trying to think of excuses why I shouldn't go to work this afternoon. Truth is I don't want to feel the panic again. This is the worst thing about anxiety. When we are scared to death of feeling panic again, and all I want to do is sit on my couch where it is safe, but instead I have to get up, be strong and push through. And remind myself that one slip does not mean I'm back where I started. Tomorrow is a new day

LeedsUnited21 Anxiety Help
  • replies: 3

Feel anxious all the time jump at everything so scared. any way to overcome or help or natural thing to take or something.. i get neck pain back pain cant relax headaches tired jumpy and feel on edge all the time its so hard to be normal these days.

Feel anxious all the time jump at everything so scared. any way to overcome or help or natural thing to take or something.. i get neck pain back pain cant relax headaches tired jumpy and feel on edge all the time its so hard to be normal these days.

MaryG Anxiety meltdown
  • replies: 1

So I have posted here for my feelings of depression and my alcohol use and move this thread if you think it belongs elsewhere, but I had a serious incident that really scared me and made me finally realise that its ok to ask for help and get some. I ... View more

So I have posted here for my feelings of depression and my alcohol use and move this thread if you think it belongs elsewhere, but I had a serious incident that really scared me and made me finally realise that its ok to ask for help and get some. I was so desperate and totally convinced I was going to die. I tried lying down but my heart was pounding and seemed to stop when I lay down then my breathing would slow and I was sure i was dying. I thought i was having a stroke or a heart attack. The feelings of panic were so strong and scary. I ended up calling a friend and made it to a doctor. He gave me some pills which almost immdiately took the worst of the symptoms away. The shaking and sweating and pounding heart. It left the craving emptiness in my guts though. I couldnt seem to relieve it with anything at all. In the back of my mind I think I was craving a drink as I recently came off a "bender" maybe that's what triggered this whole thing. I resisted and stuck with the meds only and I feel tired but OK today and actually able to work. Going to see my own GP when I get back to finally come clean about the whole picture. It feels OK to let people in to help. Thanks for listening. MaryG

sare_anxiety Cannot Crack It
  • replies: 6

HI, I have had two weeks now of anxiety, harm OCD intrusive thoughts and disorientation. I don't know whether i am up down or sideways. I have had my medication reviewed; seen my g.p.; been to the psychologist; got a referral for a Psychiatrist (scar... View more

HI, I have had two weeks now of anxiety, harm OCD intrusive thoughts and disorientation. I don't know whether i am up down or sideways. I have had my medication reviewed; seen my g.p.; been to the psychologist; got a referral for a Psychiatrist (scared of them); slept more; taken time off work; tried to get uni work done. Nothing is helping. I am overwhelmed and fear loosing my mind. The thoughts i recognize as anxiety fueled intrusions but they are horrible and getting more out of control. I just want to find myself again and cope. But my anxiety never listens to what want, and it's bossing me around. Any help welcomed. sare

amjeck Anxiety or a death wish?
  • replies: 4

I am wondering if i am suicidal if i dont want to live like i am anymore but i dont want to kill myself. Weird i know. I am so tired of fighting my anxiety so tired. i just think that if i could close my eyes and dissapear i would not feel anything a... View more

I am wondering if i am suicidal if i dont want to live like i am anymore but i dont want to kill myself. Weird i know. I am so tired of fighting my anxiety so tired. i just think that if i could close my eyes and dissapear i would not feel anything anymore. i am so tired. i am going to see my doctor tomorrow cause i jsut did the test on this web site and it said 41. i can even write andymore.

Social_phobe Social Anxiety Groups
  • replies: 2

If anybody knows any social anxiety groups or group therapies in Melbourne, Please let me know! O anybody that has over come severe social anxiety, please give me links, or any help you can! Thanks

If anybody knows any social anxiety groups or group therapies in Melbourne, Please let me know! O anybody that has over come severe social anxiety, please give me links, or any help you can! Thanks

LeedsUnited21 Anxiety causing Dandruff?
  • replies: 3

Hair been really flaking and nasty last year since I got anxiety could it be a cause?

Hair been really flaking and nasty last year since I got anxiety could it be a cause?

Amyy_93 How to stop lashing out?
  • replies: 5

I suffer from both anxiety and depression (not clinically diagnosed, but it's very clear I have it, I have all the symptoms and it highly runs in my family) I just seem to always be so tense, angry and frustrated, causing me to lash out in anger at m... View more

I suffer from both anxiety and depression (not clinically diagnosed, but it's very clear I have it, I have all the symptoms and it highly runs in my family) I just seem to always be so tense, angry and frustrated, causing me to lash out in anger at my boyfriend, whom I live with. It just seems to be getting worse, every thing he does/says just causes me to react. I get very anxious about certain things, especially driving. I just want to be able to stop lashing out, once I seem to get into angry mode I just cannot stop, my heart feels tense and beats really fast and I just get angry and literally cannot stop lashing out and yelling/crying. What are some techniques that I can try at home to help me be a calmer and happier person, so I am able to concentrate on making my relationship work rather than ruining it. Thanks

Meg82 Diploma is going to make my head explode!!!!

I have been through a long road with severe depression and anxiety and I am only just at a stage where my doctor feels I can do it without medication anymore which is like winning lotto for me I was just so proud and happy. In the midst of things tho... View more

I have been through a long road with severe depression and anxiety and I am only just at a stage where my doctor feels I can do it without medication anymore which is like winning lotto for me I was just so proud and happy. In the midst of things though I am doing a diploma in counselling as I felt having gone through what I have that I have a lot to share in building strength and coping mechanisms for depression and anxiety. I would really like to get the word out there about using art therapies to help divert some of the negative feelings to something creative as it helped me very much. Anyway that's all well and good but I have three children and getting each module in is hard enough but for every module the markers love to just pick pick pick at the little things and have me resubmit for the tiniest reasons and its driving me NUTS! I swear it could end me back on medication the way they are and no one really understands why i get SO ANGRY. School has always been a struggle for me and this will be the first thing I have seen through as now I am 30 I can cope better with school and my mental illness than when I was a teenager so this is huge for me to start with but each module I get done I get done while having kids whinging and changing dirty nappies/potty training. Trying to break up fights and woe betide if dinner isn't on the table on time then I have these pain in the ass markers who I know for a fact are 10 years younger than me and some have probably never been through some of the things I have telling me how best it should be dealt with! OMG! Then telling me to resubmit tasks from the module when the next module I have to do I am running behind time on thanks to the million other things I have to deal with. Some of it is rediculous! I have to admit I am probably a very solutions focused person and that's not going to suit everyone. I see a problem and I start to search for the best road to solve it bang its done lets move forward. I live my whole life like that and I think it might have to do with my anxiety I would worry if I didn't have things that way but its very difficult for me to even get this stuff done the first time and they want things redone. I feel stressed out and I just wish I could scream right now because it really messes with that nasty little depression bit of my brain that says "give up your not going to get it done, its too hard". It makes me angry with the markers and just feel like its not worth it. Even though it is because I know it would be a huge achievement for me to finish this course as it will be the first one I finish since I even started high school and I really want to prove to myself I can do it and I know I am smart at it because other people say I am but I just hate that all these resubmissions are making it hard for me to fight that little demon I have and get through. God I wish the markers would cut me some slack lately I am feeling burnt out.

cjs96 Am I just shy?

Hi, so I've recently just moved schools in the last year and I've really found it quite struggling. I've been known to always be shy but I didn't think it was anything more. I became so afraid of not fitting in that I wasn't able to string a sentence... View more

Hi, so I've recently just moved schools in the last year and I've really found it quite struggling. I've been known to always be shy but I didn't think it was anything more. I became so afraid of not fitting in that I wasn't able to string a sentence together to talk to people. I'd just smile and sit there quietly unless someone spoke to me first. I then cut myself off making it harder to fit in and for people to like me. It was then after when I made friends that they suggested it wasnt just shyness.. They've started teasing me about the possible chance that I have social anxiety and they continuously say I have no social skills and I am awkward to be around. Its probably not teasing because it is the truth. It was then I started weighing out the possibilities. I don't go to parties because I dislike meeting and interacting with people I don't know, if I drink its usually so I feel more confident with myself, I am much more talkative when I drink, I hate walking into class rooms with everyone seated because I know I'm being judged, I hate going to school because I fear that the teacher will pick me to answer a question and I won't know it, I usually blush when people that I am unfamiliar with talk to me,I can't maintain eye contact, my voice is usually weak when people ask my questions so im having to repeat myself, (this brings more attetion to myself) I sweat excessively, and as of recently I stutter when I'm talking to someone who intimidates me which is mostly everyone. The stress and the worrying from what other people think of me is really holding me back from day to day things, particularly from playing sport because i'd have to meet new people. Lately I wonder if it would be better if I didn't exist because I feel like a freak. I don't even know if there is anything wrong with me and perhaps I'm just attention seeking or I'm over thinking things but I do know I don't like to feel this way and I've been spending a lot of nights crying and losing sleep from thinking about all this. Is this normal?