Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Malaalsieh Dizziness and neck pain driving me insane!!
  • replies: 4

My dizziness is driving me crazy! I also get neck pain and stiffness. this dizziness can last all day or come when it wants. With it I get pins and needles, sensations all around my head and my face always feels like it’s going to go numb. So then I ... View more

My dizziness is driving me crazy! I also get neck pain and stiffness. this dizziness can last all day or come when it wants. With it I get pins and needles, sensations all around my head and my face always feels like it’s going to go numb. So then I think it’s a stroke or something bad is going to happen to me. I always end up in tears because it stops me from doing a lot of things. I haven’t even been able to work. I want to go to the gym but I can’t because I’m dizzy! To put it bluntly I’m so frustrated and don’t know what to do. Would love to hear if anyone else experiences this. Also when I go to the shops it all starts! I get dizzy, my legs stiffen up and I have to hold onto something. What is going on? Is this normal when you have anxiety? The thing is I’m not anxious about going to the shops I find I just can’t walk through their anymore. Would really like some support on this because I feel like I’m slipping back into depression again. The pain in my neck is really sore and goes all around my neck. I saw an Osteo but he made it worse the second time I went. I also get head sensations especially across my forehead. I know fighting it doesn’t help but I have no one around me to give me the support I need.

Justme00 Newbie with GAD
  • replies: 6

Hi I'm new to this website. I've been struggling with anxiety for my whole life. It got worse after I had my last child quite awhile ago now. It has got worse over the last year or so. Stress from my marriage break up & from negativity from my workpl... View more

Hi I'm new to this website. I've been struggling with anxiety for my whole life. It got worse after I had my last child quite awhile ago now. It has got worse over the last year or so. Stress from my marriage break up & from negativity from my workplace. I'm so confused as what to do next. I'm not sure if I want to give my marriage ago again or not. I've found a new independence in myself since my marriage breakdown so I'm not sure if I want that to change. My workplace has seemed to cause me a lot of stress at the moment. I'm so sick of my anxiety & how it makes me feel. It's hard for others to understand it. I feel so lonely.

anx187 Anxiety over twilight sedation
  • replies: 3

Hello, this is my first time posting in this forum so forum, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section. a bit about myself- I have suffered with health anxiety for most of my adulthood which stems from a traumatic birth of my first d... View more

Hello, this is my first time posting in this forum so forum, so please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section. a bit about myself- I have suffered with health anxiety for most of my adulthood which stems from a traumatic birth of my first daughter. I am having a small procedure done under a twilight sedation soon, I have alot of anxiety over the sedation, can anyone give me some positive insight? and any tips to reduce my anxiety leading up to it. and tips or reassurance would be very much appreciated! Feeling scared!

ThelmaLo OCD - feel like I'm going crazy :(
  • replies: 6

Hi all, I was diagnosed with OCD last year and first it centred around being worried I'd done something inappropriate when changing my daughter's nappy and kinda spiralled from there. Anyway so my doctor asked if I'd ever heard voices as this is appa... View more

Hi all, I was diagnosed with OCD last year and first it centred around being worried I'd done something inappropriate when changing my daughter's nappy and kinda spiralled from there. Anyway so my doctor asked if I'd ever heard voices as this is apparently not completely uncommon for someone with high anxiety and I said no but the next night when opening my daughter's room i thought I heard what sounded like 'hey' so I freaked out and started googling (bad idea) freaked out I was getting schizophrenia. My doctor also asked if I'd ever had thoughts of harming my daughter and I said oh no way never (which was true yesterday!) I read a forum about someone who kept having the word 'kill' come to mind over and over and it was just OCD and went away. So then that night of course the same thing happens to me and I get the thought 'kill' which turns into 'kill her' (my daughter) and it's completely freaked me out!! I love her more than anything in this world and I never want anything to happen to her but now I'm starting to get really scared and thinking what if I'm actually a danger to her or something. Also feeling so guilty that that thought has even entered my mind I've just started on medication a couple of weeks ago too so went up in dosage today. Any advice support etc would be so appreciated right now. I'm seeing my doctor again in 2 weeks to see how the medication is going.

Rosie34 Getting to sleep full of adrenaline/ heart racing/ anxiety without alcohol
  • replies: 2

Hi Guys, I’ve been struggling with anxiety for the last three years but was self medicating and making my anxiety worse with alcohol. I’ve been in denial that it was anxiety and thought it might be something more sinister. I have stopped drinking dur... View more

Hi Guys, I’ve been struggling with anxiety for the last three years but was self medicating and making my anxiety worse with alcohol. I’ve been in denial that it was anxiety and thought it might be something more sinister. I have stopped drinking during the week on advice from my psychologist but I’m struggling to fall asleep as I’m still full of adrenaline and other anxiety symptoms. Does anyone have tips for getting to sleep? I’m so tired but so wired as well. Its absolutely exhausting as I’m sure you all know! TIA

Stanlee14 Anxiety and IBS Anyone Out There?
  • replies: 19

Hello all Ive suffered from IBS most my life due to an unrelated condition. I’ve also been a long time anxiety sufferer and recently read an article about a link between IBS and anxiety. In recent months my anxiety has been up and down, however durin... View more

Hello all Ive suffered from IBS most my life due to an unrelated condition. I’ve also been a long time anxiety sufferer and recently read an article about a link between IBS and anxiety. In recent months my anxiety has been up and down, however during the ‘ups’ I noticed quite a flare up of my IBS symptoms. This doesn’t really surprise me, however I wanted to know who else out there has similar problems, either living with medically diagnosed IBS or just anxiety and stomach problems. I wanted to create this thread as it is a anxiety symptom that quite often gets overlooked but personally I find quite debilitating. Cheers Stan

ashkey How do you deal with a new type of anxiety?
  • replies: 3

Hello to everyone, My question probably doesn't sound like anything new but to me it is. I generally only experience anxiety with driving, it's been a problem for me for years but that is slowly getting better, so yay for progress! My problem now is ... View more

Hello to everyone, My question probably doesn't sound like anything new but to me it is. I generally only experience anxiety with driving, it's been a problem for me for years but that is slowly getting better, so yay for progress! My problem now is work related anxiety and what work has done to me to make me feel this way. I am in retail management and do a damn good job of it but come Xmas time something pops up which means I have to step into a role I can do but am just not wanting to do. It's happened to me 3 years now and happening again. I know I have the power to change things but I love my job and who I work with just sometimes it's a real toll. Lately a new manager has come on board which is supposed to be a good thing to support me. They have seniority over me but I still have to train them. Again, fine but it's come with challenges. My new anxiety has to do with this new manager and how instantly they have come in and trying to reinvent the wheel which is not broken. It's already frustrating my team who trust me and will follow me to the ends of the earth. This is only temporary for so many months but my question is, do I deal with it and feel this horrible nausea and dread every day and fake it for the duration or do I talk to my manager above them? I'm torn as this could make things worse I feel but I am just dreading waking up when I sleep and then I can't get back to sleep. I hate this so much. Any help or kind words to get through this would be greatly appreciated. I don't usually have problems, my friends know me for being so carefree so this feeling is very out of the ordinary for me. Thanks, Ashkey

Traceyintassie Tried all techniques for managing anxiety, nothing’s worked

Hi this my first post. I’ve tried all managing techniques listed for coping with my anxiety. I’m just getting worse. I was on meds for 16 years. I’ve been having neuro feedback with my psychologist. I think I’ve had 10 or more sessions so far. This h... View more

Hi this my first post. I’ve tried all managing techniques listed for coping with my anxiety. I’m just getting worse. I was on meds for 16 years. I’ve been having neuro feedback with my psychologist. I think I’ve had 10 or more sessions so far. This hasn’t helped either so far. I’m out of options.

LesDave Staying focused after unemployment

The next few months is going to be test to see if I can hold the previous bad anxiety at bay. Our project ended last week and while I had a lot of interviews, nothing eventuated. I am fully expecting nothing much to come up until February in my field... View more

The next few months is going to be test to see if I can hold the previous bad anxiety at bay. Our project ended last week and while I had a lot of interviews, nothing eventuated. I am fully expecting nothing much to come up until February in my field. This time of year everything goes quiet. I plan to: 1. take a break 2. only apply for jobs I think I really want for the next few months 3. live cheaply 4. stay in the present moment Any other tips you folks have will be greatly appreciated.

SCoo Throat tightness and anxiety
  • replies: 4

Hi guys just a question, does anyone have constant throat tightness? Mine comes in waves. I’ve had so many tests done and anything sinister has been ruled out but some days it’s terrible. I feel like I can’t breathe but my oxygen sats are fine. Im ho... View more

Hi guys just a question, does anyone have constant throat tightness? Mine comes in waves. I’ve had so many tests done and anything sinister has been ruled out but some days it’s terrible. I feel like I can’t breathe but my oxygen sats are fine. Im hoping it has something to do with my neck and constantly feeling tense. I’m hoping it goes away