FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety, I feel Stuck.

Andy24
Community Member
Hi, my name is Andy i'm new to this....terrified as all hell to write in fact. I signed up in hope to get advice or give advice about anxiety....not that i have had it for that long. Around my birthday last year i had my first panic attack. i didnt know what it was, i just got dragged to the doctor in such a state of sheer panic. The G.P said that i had GAD. Im currently one two medication: one for the GAD and another to control a tremor which i now have developed due to my stress. Some days i wake up and can't get up, not for a lack trying. I get angry all the time because its my fault i let myself get this way and that im stuck this way and i'll never get better... in the end all i can do is try anything and keep routine.
3 Replies 3

Damien
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Andy, I'm Damien and whilst I certainly do not claim to be any sort of expert (save for experience), in terms of self-identity I am the bloke in the "Chest Tightening" clip on the Anxiety page above.

Thank you so much for posting.  It is terrifying to "come out" and to put yourself on a forum, so well done for doing it and thank you for trusting me/us.  It's actually really helpful for me as someone with GAD to think that my opinion might be worth seeking.

I too am on medication for GAD, and I'm also on puffers for asthma and I have sleep apnoea so I sleep in a mask beside an air pump.  (Talk about chest tightening I wake up at 3:00am most mornings inflated like a blimp!)

Your symptoms sound really harsh, I hope the medication is helping you with that. Do you have someone to talk to too?  Obviously (is it?) a GP or a psychologist is a good idea, but I hope you have the sort of mates/family you can talk to about how you feel and why you feel like that.  Many people don't understand what Anxiety is like, but in my experience the people I can trust have come to understand that there is "something" and that they can help by just being there and nodding and smiling at me.  Please find someone to talk to if possible.

Routine is a great idea.  GAD is not necessarily about having something to be anxious about, having genuine fears is normal.  But if you can get a routine going where there aren't any actual real worries or uncertainties so it's just the GAD you're dealing with then that's very healthy and smart.  Don't go getting Obsessive Compulsive about it, but sleeping, eating and "doing the basics" is always helpful.

Keep going Andy, and post again if you want to.  🙂

Andy24
Community Member

Hello,

I just watched it today, I sit there, now don't laugh when I say this....wish I could help you.I tend to over worry about people every where even when I haven't met them. 🙂 I really admire it when people get up and are able to tell their story, I find it inspiring 🙂 

I cant watch the news anymore without being worried about the world, it sucks. I cant sleep and worst of all nightmares, very vivid nightmares. most people I've been around tell me to get over it...I see help regularly sort of...

I learnt from a very young age to bottle up my problems. its hard to openly talk but I'm trying. 

Thank you for responding it means a lot. 🙂 

Damien
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Andy,

Good to know that you're around and want to help me!!!!  It's always nice when people show care.

There's a new page open today at http://mantherapy.org.au/ and again I'm on there as a talking head, but the point is not what an amazing media star I am (joke) but that there's a focus on blokes and how we don't like to talk.  Even I, who has now been on two campaigns, still find it hard to open up to people about how I feel.  The camera and the film crew didn't judge, but the knob across the table might.  😞

Bottling up is no good, we know this, you as well.  I get what you're saying about the news too, but at least (a positive) you are concerned for the people/stories you see rather than the more self-indulgent "the world is going to hell in a handcart and I'm losing hope in everything".  That you are compassionate shows that you are hopeful too.

Thanks for chatting, sorry it took me a week to find your story again, I'm on here because I'm not well myself and sometimes "not well" means "not online."  That I'm here today is therefore a good thing..Yay!  🙂