FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety - going back to work

Barnzey87
Community Member
Hey everyone,

So I've had a pretty rough 7-9 weeks. I've been going to my doctor each week trying and testing new things. I had a major anxiety episode 2 years ago so I've gone through this before. However my last doctor appointment he told me, there isn't much he can do and i just need to force myself back into life. Now i haven't been sitting at home all the time, i went out every now and then to the shops and my friends house but i always had trouble.

I have one week till i go back to work, and my new tablet will hopefully kick in more after the 12 days ive been taking it. however ive been having new symptoms (since last time) and i just want to know if others have gone through it. I'm really scared about going back, i just don't think its a smart move.

So currently im only getting 5-6 hours asleep a night, which isn't normal for me. When i wake up im always in uncomfortable stomach pain and it takes like 4-5 hours before i seem to be able to do normal things around the house. (i just lay and watch tv) Little things always seem give me a little anxiety attack, like car reeving outside, someone knocking on the door. When i go out, im always in uncomfortable pain , and sometimes it gets the better off me and i just want to drive back home. I'm only eating one small meal a day which i think is causing one of my other main problems. When i seem to exert myself, 30mins later i need to lay down to catch my breath. I just don't have the energy.

Now for the moment i can manage at home, but I'm still hoping the tablet kicks in more soon. But does anyone else have these type of symptoms with anxiety? Its a lot to take in and very draining. Its effecting my relationship as I'm always sad, and just want to lay down/relax.
3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Barnzey, welcome to the site and I'm sorry for how you feeling.

Your new medication hopefully will begin to work within this time frame, however, these noises that make you feel uncomfortable are what annoys me and they're known as misophonia and it's impossible to ignore them and if you do try, they will only worsen.

Is it OK to say that there is no mention of seeing a psychologist which would be a good idea because this particular illness can have some effect on wanting to go back to work.

I hope to hear from you because I'd like to talk more with you.

Geoff.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Barnzey,

Sounds like there is a lot going on at the moment.

Starting new medication can always be tricky. When I changed medication I ended up taking two weeks off work. I probably could have gone back earlier, but in the end I decided my mental health was just as important as my physical health. On the other hand, you do need to be careful that you are not avoiding work because of your anxiety as this can become a vicious circle.

Maybe you could attempt to return to work and then if it doesn't work for you take further time off? I found when I eventually did return to work that the first two days were the hardest, then I got back into the rhythm and routine and my anxiety settled. Definitely don't feel bad or guilty if you end up needing additional time off. It's important to look after yourself.

Have you talked to your doctor about your new symptoms? Sleeplessness and stomach pains sound pretty awful. I'm not a medical professional nor do I take medication at the moment, but I am not sure that stomach pain is a normal side effect. I have heard of a lot of people feeling nauseated due to anxiety or medication - but not pain.

It can be really hard to eat when you are anxious. I find it easier to snack throughout the day rather than eat 3 large meals. I basically eat every 2 hours or so, but only something small, like a piece of toast or fruit etc. Maybe your stomach pain is actually caused because you are not eating enough?

I understand what you say about anxiety affecting relationships. Do you speak to your partner about how you are feeling? Are they supportive of you during anxious moments? Maybe they want to be, but don't know how. I had to 'teach' my partner how to help me during anxiety because he had never experienced it before. It can put a strain on relationships, but it is definitely possible to have a strong loving relationship even if you have anxiety.

Please keep talking or posting on the forum if you are able to do so. Would be good to know how you are going.

Jess

Angel_hand
Community Member

I totally understand how you are feeling about returning to work. I have being discriminated and bullied at work for 2.5 years and it finally broke me.

Take time out in between your work hours and go for a short walk or have a friendly chat with someone whom you trust.

Take one day at a time and take 3 slow and long breathe ... I find that help.

take care