FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Why is it so hard to find a job?

Iced_Tea
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I graduated from High School in 2014 and did a few courses here and there like I did my Certificate IV in Community Services and Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care and really just trying to find something that I can relate my interest to and to get an idea of what it is that I'd want to do. I'm currently doing my Diploma in Community Services (Case Management) because I finally found an interest in the field. I did work as a Disability Support Worker that paid well for a year and they unfortunately terminated my employment because they wanted someone who can do more hours than I do, I tried arguing that it is also because I am a full-time student but it seemed like the admin person just had something to say which really pissed me off. I tried so hard looking for a job in the field, maybe something other than a support worker again, just want to try something different but why the hell is it so hard to look for a job? Out of the 60 jobs I applied for online, all I'm receiving are rejections because I'm not "experienced" enough. Well how can you expect someone to be "experienced" if you can't even give them an experience to do?
3 Replies 3

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Iced Tea

My apologies for the late response.....we are usually pretty quick

Good on you for doing your Diploma in Community Services and working for a year too!

Finding employment in your field or an unrelated field is hard work unfortunately. I am not sure how much of your diploma you have remaining.

Your question about being inexperienced still not gaining employment is a valid one

While engaged in study as you are it will be difficult for sure. Even so.....sending out as many applications/resumes will find you work. Keep your resume as brief as possible and outline 'how you enjoy a challenge and have the ability to absorb information quickly with enthusiasm' A maximum of one A4 is perfect as there is less for the interviewer to read.

Im sorry about the delay again Iced Tea

I hope you can let us know your thoughts when convenient for you 🙂

My Kind thoughts

Paul

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Iced Tea,

Welcome to the forums!

Argh I'm sorry that you've had trouble finding a job - the pain is relatable.

Need experience for job -> Need job for experience -> Need experience for job.

It is an awful cycle!

So, how can you break it?

- Volunteer work. Yes, ideally you want something that is paid - but this is your foot in the door, and this is what matters. If people can see you on the job and how hard you work, it will be a thousand times easier when it comes to the application. It also means that you can start adding experience to your resume since you are actually in the field.

- Switch your roles a little. Disability Support Worker sounds like something you've tried in the past - can you search for things like 'home care worker' or a 'personal care assistant' or a 'personal care attendant'. The jobs are a little similar but they often show up in different sections of job sites - i.e. community care vs mental health or aged care.

- Look on other career websites. Places like carecareers, careerone, seek, ethicaljobs, probonoaustralia, indeedau, jora... the job posts can double up but often employers will only post on one site. I've seen jobs on carecareers that do not advertise on seek. You may also want to try your local career centre (if you have one) or job agencies. Especially ones for Centrelink job seekers like Job Active. They often get positions that have minimum hours.

- Network. You may want to consider a linked.in account? There are more and more employees/employers joining. The more you connect the more opportunities you hear about. Tell people you're searching; even your course coordinators. Sometimes employers will approach places like TAFE for short-term work or not many hours.

- Approach your potential employers. This is old school, but it works because it's personal. See if you can speak to the manager. My last employer said the reason I got the job is because I was constantly popping in and handing updated resumes; checking to see if any jobs were open. Some jobs are not listed.

I hope that gives you something to work with! 🙂

Pink_Soul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello,

I can appreciate what you are going through and how disappointing, frustrating and upsetting it can be to constantly receive rejection letters (or not receive any notification at all). I'm a little bit older than you, but am in the process of a career change and looking for work. I've come across a book called - What colour is your parachute and it's a great book for anyone looking for work and wanting to maximise your changes of securing employment in a field you may enjoy. If you are not in a position to buy the book, like myself, I hired the book from my local library and many libraries have an electronic library these days so there are a couple of options available. Each year a new addition of the book is released and if you are not able to get the 2018 copy an earlier copy would work just as well. I've also been working with a counsellor/ psychotherapist/coach who has a background in HR and I realised that I thought my resume was pretty good, however I wasn't matching the skills I have with the skills required for the jobs I have been applying for. I was only use one resume and didn't realise that these days you need to do a resume for every job you apply for, matching the skills you have with the job you are applying for. I used to think that I didn't have a lot of skills to offer but what I found when I sat down and reviewed everything my study, jobs, hobbies etc that I had a lot of transferable skills. Here is a website that I have found really useful and it may help you to start thinking different about your skills and what you offer the workplace https://www.thebalance.com/transferable-skills-list-525490. I also found a website that would help me to update my resume in a professional layout. myperfectresume.com is a wonderful site and very easy to use. You can get a 14 day trial for $2. This process has been longer for me than I first anticipate (8months with out work) but please don't get discouraged, it's not easy, but this entire process has allowed me the space to find out more about who I am, what I offer and what type of job would suit my personality. I've also learnt to become very creative, finding ways to save money, buy food and create meals without that extra money. If you would like any more support let me know, keep going, even when it's hard, we can learn so much. Best of luck xo