FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Venting problems

CloverOfCanterbury
Community Member

Hi,

- I want to be an animator. However the animation industry in Australia is minuscule and I’m sure that I can’t get a job even if I complete a degree. I could get a job in the filming industry, however the filming industry in Australia is not doing well, either.

- I want to get a part time job so that I can support myself financially and don’t have to ask my parents for cash— however I can’t even study well and my parents say that I am not responsible enough for one because I don’t even wash the dishes at home.

- Getting a part time job is just giving me the stigma that art majors are homeless and live in poverty or whatever. My parents joke about how after I finish an animation degree I’ll be forced to wash dishes to pay bills anyway.

- I don’t wash the dishes at home because I want to focus all my time on studying since I am in year 12. The only problem is that I procrastinate too much because I am too daunted to actually do schoolwork.

- I’m failing schoolwork anyway, especially since a lot of my assignments are now just half-finished crap because O procrastinate.

- I hate sharing my problems with real people because I’m scared that I’ll use them like a therapist or they’ll throw me away after they get sick of me. It’s what happened to my best friend.

- I spend most of my time online and roleplay characters since I find it a good way of escapism. I primarily spend my free time watching video essays about media on YouTube.

- I’m skeptical of people who say that I should pursue my career choice, because my parents judge me for being too lazy and never even drawing. I do draw, I just complete hastily finished sketches.

- I’ve been trying to practise violin for my 8th grade violin test— however, because of my above choices I don’t have the motivation to. And I don’t have the motivation to especially since AMEB grades does not contribute to ATAR grades at all. So I end up not practising violin for several weeks.

- Real life is exhausting, and I get discouraged by my choices and my inability to make a good decision. Which forces me to get addicted to online media even more.

I know it’s my fault for getting addicted to social media and that I lack discipline or whatever, but I‘m scared about how I’d rather live online than in real life, and that’s not good for me. Help? Advice?

3 Replies 3

Billiek
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi CloverOfCanterbury,

Thank you for sharing all of this. It sounds like you are feeling really overwhelmed. Hopefully being able to vent about all of this helped lift a weight off your shoulders!

I can't say I know too much about the animation industry or filming industry in Australia, but what I do know is that if you have the right mindset, passion and drive, you can almost always achieve your career goals. I know plenty of people with arts degrees who are financially stable and most importantly, satisfied in their career.

While it can be motivating for some to think deeply about the future, for others it can be especially daunting. I think it might be helpful for you to focus on whats happening right now, your HSC. I remember when I was in the midst of my HSC, balance was my best friend! Try spending a little bit more time planning out your week so you can feel organised and on top of things, and don't forget to schedule in things that make you feel happy like hobbies. HSC is a marathon not a race, so my best advice is to work little by little, but remain consistent.

Let us know how you go,

Billiek

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello CloverOfCanterbury,

I hope you feel better having gotten that off your chest.

I'm happy for you that you have an aspiration, regardless of what it is. That goal is something that can keep you looking forward, giving you purpose in life. Creative industries are always harder to work in - I quit my job to get into creative work, only to return to my old job after a year because the industry was so small and difficult to break into. It doesn't mean your dream should end, though. There are some things you can do now. A part time job is actually a really good idea, especially if you can get a job or an internship in the animation or film industry. You can also try volunteering with an organisation where you can meet other creative individuals like yourself.

Your parents haven't been very supportive of your ambitions, but you shouldn't let that make you feel bad about it. Not washing the dishes at home does not mean you wouldn't be a responsible worker. And I think your reason is perfectly valid. When I was studying, I hardly did much housework when I was stressed. The one thing I've learnt over the years is that we often prove our parents wrong when it comes to their negative impressions of us, so don't take what they say to heart.

About your lack of motivation, one thing that helped for me when I was studying was to timetable my time such that I'd study for about an hour and then reward myself with something I liked. So you could work for an hour, and then go online for another half an hour as a reward. It takes some discipline and some practice, but if it works for you, it's definitely worth a try.

Warmly,
M

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

CloverofCanterbury thanks for reaching out and writing your post.

If social media had been around when I was your age I would have spent too much time on social media too.

I used to listen to the radio as a way of procrastinating .Emmen has mentioned atimetable with doing something you need to study them something you wnat to do.

That is helpful . Sometimes I would break the work into 30 mins and if i was ok do another 30 mins.

I used to procrastinate as I was afraid I was getting so far behind I could not catch up/ So jut starting on an assignment that you feel confident with.

Quirky