FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder

Holly8991
Community Member

Hi guys,

im new here, I don’t have anyone I feel like I can talk to atm, but my PMDD really effects me, I get really irritable and sad and suicidal sometimes, I’m on medication for dysthymia and also on the pill, but when it’s my time of the month I still get the PMDD symptoms, has anyone ever had this before? I am seeing my dr soon but wondering if anyone has the same issue as me?

5 Replies 5

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Holly,

I might not be the best person to speak to... I am male. But there were two things that I wanted to say to you. The first is in this community you are not alone. So you are safe to talk about whatever you want without feeling as though you will be judged by other users in this space. I am listening to you, and this post will help bump the thread to the top of the list again. Good luck with your GP appointment.

Tim

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Holly. Lovely to have Tim welcome you.

In some ways I’m not the best person either. It’s been many years since I’ve had PMDD. In my day the DD was a T for tension.

I remember the stress of each month. From the pain to the emotional irrationality. It was frightening Holly. Going through menopause and coming out the other side was great.

Doesn’t help you much does it?Guess I ‘m just letting you know you are not alone.

I’m sure there are other people in our community who can relate to your situation.

They will post here as time allows. In the meantime have a think about joining other discussions are similar to your situation. Feel free to join these discussions. You can do a keyword search using the B.B. search tool st the top of the page.

Kind thoughts

pamelar

Lilly18
Community Member

Hi Holly,

Iam not diagnosed with PMDD but iam convinced I have it. Last month was so severe and disabling for me that I self harmed for the first time in 15 yrs. Once my period has started, say day 2, all the crazy moods are gone and I'm back to "normal"

Iam on an SNRI so I would have thought this medication would help with that time of month.

I did tell my psychologist about it once and she laughed it off and said yeah we all get PMS.

I have found a new great psychologist since then!

Iam due to see my Gp again and will also bring it up.

Keep me posted with how you go if you like

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Holly,

Welcome to the community. Hopefully your Dr can help you with the PMDD. If not, is there a SHINE clinic near you? Not sure if that is just an S.A. facility?

Being aware of my symptoms and how severe they could be helped me deal with the emotional rollercoaster each month to a certain extent.

Warning my husband was also beneficial! Saved a few arguments when he realised what was going on and why.

Evening Primrose oil used to be suggested to help with some of the symptoms, you could have a chat to a chemist and ask for ideas of over the counter products, just mention other medication you are taking.

A hot pack to the belly helped ease some of the pain, so did curling up reading a book or watching T.V.

Chocolate and coffee helped me too! As did walking and a hot shower.

Maybe writing out how you feel when your moods hit might help you express anything that builds up within you at that time of the month. IT is one way to release it all. Tell yourself this is just how you feel right now, it will not last always!

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers from Dools

_allovertheplace
Community Member

Hi Holly,

4 years later I'm reading your post and relating hardcore. I'm 32, I suffer from PMDD and I call it hell week now. I'm on the best pill for it and also SSRI's for anxiety and depression but it's still absolute hell and scary every time, no matter how prepared you think you are. Will this be our lives forever? God I hope not. My hell week has just started - I can't breathe, I'm having emotional irrational thoughts, and irritability is up the yin yang. I guess, I just want to you say, you're not alone and I'm glad you posted what you did.

xo