FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Learning to play sports - a less serious topic

Curtis
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I had a not so great childhood which resulted in me not getting to do many things. In most aspects I'd say my life is on track, however there is just one thing, I don't know how to play sports.

I really want to learn to play rugby league. I know literally nothing asides from what I've seen on TV. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could learn the fundamentals so hopefully I can one day join a club?

It's something I've been aspiring to for about a year and a half. So far in which I've mostly been looking at getting fit enough, I'd say I'm getting pretty good with that and I want to take the next step.

I'm a 21yr old male who is big on watching sports so I find this very embarrassing. 

Any help would be awesome thanks :).

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Curtis, good on you for wanting to do this.

Firstly there are books and dvds to watch teaching you how to play rugby league, if however you wanted to play rugby union then I could teach you, but you are probably living in sydney.

I used to love playing it and did so until I got married.

These tapes will give you the knowledge required to play the game, but what I would do is to contact a rugby club near to you and go down to their clubrooms where you will see the president or security or any other name and give them a ring, and say that you want to join their club, bingo.

Tell them that you love watching the game, but haven't played it at all, that won't be a problem,because they are always after new members, and may even give you some books, so you can learn the position names, such as where the wing position is, prop etc.

The problem now is that the season is winding up, and won't start until January next year, but what you can do now is to get fit, by running, gym, but just light work for both to start with, and then gradually increase your running by doing a few km.

So when the training starts again you will be 95% fit, and this will impress the coach.

If you were living in Melbourne it would be easy because my brother is president of a club, that once I played with, although it's union, but he will have league contacts.

Please keep in touch as this really interests me. Geoff.

Curtis
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Geof,

Thanks a lot for that advice, I've found it extremely helpful and will contact my closest club. Yes I am in Sydney 😛 I guess that's why i'm not all that interested in AFL haha.

Seriously though I'm going to follow this and I'll let you know how i go :).

Thanks again.

Curtis

Dear Curtis,

Here's an extra idea - when the Australian Open is on in Jan go down to the any set of tennis courts and join in.  The interest soars whilst there is a Tournament like that on.  One of my dog walks in Leichardt, Syd, is opposite 4 courts and during the year they are barely used but when the Australian Open is on it's chock a block with queues in the street.  Same with cycling - the Tour de France literally transforms the major cycle routes.

Sport is social so a good breaker from mental health.  Even if you lose you still had the comraderie and the memories of a good game.  And then there's the drug testing to look forward too...........

Adios, David.