FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am so tired

Eoeon
Community Member

Hi! I’m 18 years old, fresh out of high school last year.

I must say, I do not live a quiet life, and I have a lot of plans for the future. I’m a first year university student (luckily in an ‘easy’ humanities subject), I’m a beginner member of my university’s kendo club (where I’ve met some lovely supporting friends this year), and I work 5 days a week at the airport, where I assist elderly or disabled passengers in making their way from check in the the gate. I also try to keep a social life.

After my bachelors degree, I would love to travel the world as a flight attendant while I do my masters and hopefully doctorate, and then settle into either airline management, or full time research at the university.

I love all of these things with my whole heart, but I am so so so so tired. I don’t feel like there is any room for any ‘me time’ and no matter how much sleep I get, I am extremely tired at all times.

my record so far for ‘busiest day’ went like this: 

3am: wake up

5-12: work

1-5pm: university and study

6-8pm: kendo 

8-11: social life

12:30am: home

of course not every day is like this, and some days I might only have one thing to do.

Most people would just say to ‘work less’ or ‘quit kendo’ (my mum has told me this many times). But I don’t think either of these things are plausible. 

my job is part time, and I have no flexibility about how much I work and when. (Pretty much all companies at the airport are like this. As they say ‘we can’t change when planes take off.’) and I love my job, it’s honestly great and I meet some amazing people, and gain experience that will help me fulfil my dream.

kendo is where all my friends are. It’s also a sport that is extremely expensive at the start. Stopping now would mean giving away both thousands of dollars, and some really great friends.

I don’t feel like I could give away my social life either. That would just be sad.

might also be good to mention that I do have ADHD, and at the end of a day where I only do one thing, I am under stimulated to the point where I will annoy everyone around me. Maybe its better I tire myself out, lol

does anyone have any advice on getting over how absolutely destroyed tired I am? 

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Eoeon, thanks for posting your comment.

It doesn't matter how busy we are or in reverse how little we do, we can become tired, firstly because we're flat out filling our day in or if you are suffering from any type of MI then you can do nothing and still be exhausted.

If we don't take what our doctor has suggested and don't seek any counselling then we only have ourselves to blame.

Your day is full but please be careful not to let your friends go by discussing your condition frequently, not unless they ask you and want to help you.

Take care.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Eoeon, 

It certainly sounds like you have a very busy and fulfilling life, but it's understandable how with such a busy life, you are feeling very tired.

As each of your commitments are important to you, I don't think you should quit anything, but perhaps try reducing things where you can, for example would it be possible to study part-time? Or you could dedicate 1 day a week where you don't do anything but relax/catch up on sleep, even if you only do this once a fortnight, it might be nice to take a break for one day. You might even try incorporating self-care into your day in different ways such as with a goodnight night-time routine or starting your day with something that makes you happy like listening to your favourite song or having a cup of tea.  

Your health and wellbeing are important and if you are over-worked and over-tired, it might get difficult to maintain all your commitments. 

Hope this helps and that you're feeling well,

Beeee