FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi all, I have a question.

rubes3
Community Member

My name is Ruby,

I've never really done anything like this before so I thought I'd give it a go. I have been suffering with BPD, Depression and Anxiety since I was around 12 years old, I'm now 18. I've been in and out of the public and private system, I've been to different hospitals, countless psychologists and doctors. So at this point I'm very lost at what to do. So I thought I'd come here and see if it helps. I was doing ok for a while but over the last month things have increasingly become worse. 

Anyway so my question is: Do you know of any face-to-face support groups for mental health in either the Melbourne CBD or Inner Western Suburbs?

I would really just like to attend a meeting with other people going through similar things to me and hear their stories and hopefully share mine, and see if anything good comes out of it.

Thanks 😀

7 Replies 7

Sophie_M
Dear rubes3

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

It sounds like you have been through quite a journey and having received support from a variety of health professionals.  It’s also great to hear that you are also open to trying something new.  Finding support through others with similar experiences can be empowering as you will also discover being part of this supportive community.  In terms of face to face support groups, may we recommend the following resource in which you can search by State and locality of what’s available in your area:

Mental Health Support Groups

We are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our Webchat Click Here .  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure to hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Ruby, I had typed out a reply but it disappeared I'm sorry, so I'll try again.

It's so sad to know of people like you who suffer like this, and know from myself how difficult life can be.

There are a few places for you to contact, if you haven't already, Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat or online and someone will specifically be assigned to you.

Head space 1800 650 890 or alternatively if you can copy and paste this in your search bar 'group therapy for 18 year old with depression', then there are other places to contact.

Sometimes you can see so many different people but none of them click with you, and this is so important to feel comfortable in opening up to someone/s so you can open up to them, because the longer we try and hold our thoughts in, the worse the situation may become and how confusing it all is to you, because you must remember that at your age so much can change in your life style as much does happen, so trying to establish your own health is very important to stabilise future.

Please get back to us.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hello Ruby,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear that you've felt lost having gone to countless professionals. It is a great thing you've done by being proactive and coming here as well as recognizing that support groups might be beneficial. Support groups offer great interactions as well as being able to share your own story in a safe space.

I'm not sure of any specific groups in the Melbourne CBD but headspace is a great youth mental health resource and they are based in Melbourne. From my experience, some centres will run peer support groups but not all of them do unfortunately. It might be best to reach out to your local headspace or the head office in the CBD through phone or email to see if they provide any such groups. You can find them here: https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/

It is not face to face but alternatively, I believe eheadspace offer regular online group chats which will vary in topic week to week. I have linked some of these here: https://headspace.org.au/online-and-phone-support/join-the-community/chats-by-professionals/ 

I hope you are able to find a face to face group in your area and that you can find some support in that setting. Please keep us updated here and don't be afraid to reach out via the BB webchat as well any time. 💙

Bob

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi rubes3,

I am from Adelaide, so not sure about support groups near you, but some fellow posters have some good suggestions. I am sure your local headspace centre may have some options.

I am sorry you are going through this but you have come to a great, supportive community and I hope you can get a lot out of it. I am here if you need.

Jaz xx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Ruby

Yes I would phone your local Headspace and see what they offer. 
Alternatively you can log in to e_Headspace and text write to a trained Counsellor online with your questions. 

Do you have any healthy outlets for yourself going on? 

Bestest wishes
EM

rubes3
Community Member

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate it 🙂

rubes3
Community Member

Thank you! That link was very helpful!