FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello !

Laura74
Community Member

hey there! 🙂 I am a young person who has always only had myself to rely on. I have always dealt with issues on my own and I have recently, in the past year wanted to reach out to someone, I just never knew where to start. Most recently though, I have realised that I don't want to continue feeling like this forever. For a long while now, I have felt very detached from reality and I started researching and found a lot on depersonalisation and derealisation disorders. What I experience may not be exactly that, but something along those lines. It can make me incredibly upset to feel this way constantly and it always feels like I'm dreaming and I'm never in reality. It affects my memory and concentration too since I always feel zoned out. I would love to make good memories and truly live in the beautiful moments in my life. I have done quite a bit of research on psychologists and psychiatrists in my city. I just don't really know where to start or who to see first.

I am happy with my family, but I am still scared to bring up the idea of me wanting to see someone. I feel awkward talking about it, that's all. It's hard for me to open up and I don't really want to talk about it with my parents. I'm quite certain they would come up with a solution, but I cant help feeling incredibly awkward. All I want to do is talk to someone who would understand more about my problem and I would love to get help. 

I am always in a constant state of detachment from reality where my life doesn't feel like my own, nothing feels real, I can't remember a lot of things and I have a strong feeling of un-familiarity with everything including people.

Anyway, I hope to get back on track and will be able to talk to someone and get help in the new year! I hope everyone here had a happy Christmas and I wish you all the best for the new year! 🙂

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Laura74, thanks for coming to the site.

We can do all the research on available psych's (both) but it's difficult to know for the person because they may react differently to what you had expected, simply because your temperament and personality and the situation you're caught up in may differ from other people.

You can discuss this with Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, online with counsellors who can direct you in the right direction and it's free.

It's not easy to talk to your parents because sometimes they either don't care or give you information that doesn't concern how you are feeling and in particular, only one parent may understand but could be overshadowed by their spouse, however we have to start somewhere and hope you can get back to us.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Laura74
Community Member

thank you so much !

Sophie_M
Dear Laura74

Welcome to the forum today and we want to thank you for having the courage to post about those thoughts and feelings you have been experiencing.  Please know that it’s ok to reach out, it’s important to ask for help when you need it, we all need help sometimes!

We can hear that you are feeling confused with what you have been feeling in terms of questioning your reality and it’s understandable that this is a scary place for you to be.  Laura74, we always encourage to reach out to your GP as a first step so that they can assess you and rule out any other underlying health conditions and if necessary, refer you to an appropriate health professional.  In the meantime, there are some great free counselling support services including this website for younger people called Reachout. In addition to KidsHelpline as geoff mentioned, you can also call Lifeline on 13 11 44, and Headspace on 1800 650 890. All of these options are also available through webchat:

Remember also Laura74, we are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our WebChat.  Our team of counsellors who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

Thank you again for posting today, as you can see our community is a supportive one, one which has understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards

Sophie M

Laura74
Community Member

Thank you for the help! 🙂