FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxious! Lost! Confused! Please share you opinions?

Talan95
Community Member

I'm 18 years old an have a few months left of year 12 so this is the time in my life that I'm supposed to be making choices as to what career I want to go into and what not, I really love the idea of becoming a psychologist or counsellor social worker type of career, I am basically the person that everyone comes to in order to sort out there problems, but the issue is I'm almost sure i have depression and the stress of this year hasn't helped with that, I'm very good at hiding my emotions from others and even from myself at times.. but my question is could having depression now effect my chances of entering this type of career? Would I have to tell employers of my struggle with depression? And is it a good idea I go into this pathway ? 

3 Replies 3

Ambs
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

First I want to say that depression or any other mental illness need not affect the choice you make in terms of your career.  Year 12 can be a difficult year for many reasons, the pressure you put on yourself, other outside pressures.  Make sure you take time out for yourself, do things you enjoy, make time for work and play.  If you feel you are not in control of your feelings, then it would be a good idea to seek assistance from a health professional.  It is great that people feel they can talk to you, but sometimes you can take on too much of other peoples' problems and it is not good for you.  As a teacher who has taught Year 12 I understand the demands that are about to be put on you in terms of school and exams, which makes it really important that you seek some assistance in sorting out how you feel and what you need to do about it.  You need to do what makes you happy.

sare_anxiety
Community Member

HI Talan,

I really like and agree with the advice from Ambs.  

I thought I would add I have had chronic anxiety and problems with emotional control since I was 15.  I didn't make a choice of a career after school and did a few things before ending up in Healthcare- Counselling.  I suffer from chronic anxiety and at times I am very unwell and just take a break.  You learn as you go how to manage your own health when you are in a helping profession.  As Ambs said you have to know your boundaries and when you have taken on too much and need a break. It's manageable,  and just because you suffer from mental health issues,  which I couldn't say you have or not because I'm not medically trained,  does not mean you are prevented from being of use to others. Sometimes its the opposite,  you can be of more help.

Take your time to make a decision I think.  If you dont know do first year university or TAFE and choose different subjects to see what you like.  You can make the choice later.  I also did work experience on a voluntary basis and worked out what I liked.

Many of us working in the "Psychology" industry are in therapy ourselves and this is ok and a good thing if you need it. It does not have to stop you.

Take a breath.  Get school finished.  Enjoy a break. Go and see a psychologist and see if you like what they do. 

Take Care

Sare

Thankyou so much to both of you for your help! 

I really appreciate you taking the time it's given me a lot to think about and maybe I do just need a break!

thanks again

talan 🙂