FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and nausea

J28
Community Member

Hey it’s my first time posting on something like this - I’m 19 and have been struggling with increasingly severe anxiety and depression since I was about 11 or 12. My anxiety manifests itself mostly in the form of extreme nausea - I can’t even count the amount of times I’ve vomited because of my anxiety. It’s quite rare that I experience the typical symptoms of anxiety and panic without the nausea, but when I do, I’m pretty good at getting myself through it okay, but the nausea just makes it so incredibly hard to fight through and to not focus on my unhealthy thoughts. As I’ve grown older, it seems that there are more and more things which make me anxious, and it’s becoming more and more necessary for me to do things like get a job and use public transport - two things which are currently nearly impossible for me. Highschool was horrible and involved me leaving the classroom to go vomit in the toilet at least every day, and I barely made it through year 12 exams. Now I’m in uni, and I’ve moved out of home, but I don’t even go into uni most of the time because I’m terrified of public transport due to the amount of times I’ve vomited on buses or trains. I want to get my licence so bad but I’m way too worried about my nausea distracting me during my test or making me vomit. I need a job desperately - I’m relying on Centrelink’s youth allowance right now and I’ve tried applying for countless jobs. The few who called me back were either too far to walk, meaning I’d have to take public transport, which scared me away from the job, or they basically said I needed a licence and car to be hired. I’ve done so much research on anxiety and coping mechanisms - I’m a psych student myself, but I’ve never found anything that specifically addresses or helps with severe nausea like I have. I’ve tried antidepressants with no results, and it’s getting to the point where I can’t even go to a counselling because I have no way to get there or be calm in an anxiety/nausea inducing scenario. I’m so exhausted and I’m really just wondering whether there is anyone who has a similar experience, and if they’ve found some way of managing the nausea? I’m willing to try any medication or therapy or anything at this point - I’m so sick of vomiting all the time

thanks in advance,

Jake

3 Replies 3

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jake and welcome to the forums,

One thing you didn't touch on was what have you tried? I hope I don't suggest things you have already tried.

I don't have your exact experience but around your age I struggled massively with managing irritable bowel sydrome at uni. Half of the worry for me was simply anxiety about being stuck somewhere without a toilet just in case I felt sick.

I found the first step in managing my anxiety was not to manage the IBS but to learn to live with it and work around it.

I understand not wanting to leave the house. And limiting yourself to jobs you could walk to as I've done that too.

What helped me...

Getting my licence. Yes I'm aware that will be extremely difficult for you but it is worth booking lessons with an instructor and making sure they are aware of your issue. Just get through the lessons until they feel somewhat familiar. It doesn't matter how long it takes just practice.

Why did that help? Privacy and escape. When you can drive you always have a safe place to retreat to. And a way to go home. A place to store vomit bags and a change or two of clothes and some baby wipes, toothpaste etc. And you can pull over and stop whenever you need to. This safety truly did help me to be able to begin to explore my surroundings as an adult but in a way I felt safe. And yes the process of learning was horrific. The first lesson I remember shaking and on the verge of tears I was so panicked. The second lesson was ever so slightly easier.

Another step was work. I started in retail for one reason. Toilets. It sounds so stupid but I could not walk into a room without scanning for the exits and searching for a bathroom.

I accepted my limitations and just tried to become accustomed to the process of going to work. As time went on I realised my tummy was ok most of the time unless I panicked. And the best thing to manage panic for me was familiarity and routine. So I practiced until the routine felt familiar and safe.

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

The biggest change though was therapy and medication. I know you mentioned meds hadn't worked but how many have you tried? Have you seen a psychiatrist?

I see a psychiatrist weekly for psychotherapy and to manage depression. Funnily enough I never noticed my anxiety because I have always been a worrier. But when I started the right med for me I noticed I wasn't anxious as much and my tummy was so much better. Do you think you'd keep trying?

Even better was therapy. My family always wondered WHY. Why did the IBS begin out of the blue. Truth was it wasn't out of the blue. It started within an abusive relationship they didn't know about and never went away after. Finally talking about my problems helped me to feel less worried. What do you think? Have you tried therapy?
Then you look at managing your health and what is out there. Dietician. Dentist (very important if you are vomiting often), physio or chiropractor.... The list goes on. Basically finding therapies that help you. Relax you. Rule out other medical causes for the nausea.
I hope you come back and keep writing.

I would love to know how youre going.

Nat

Sam_W
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jake,

That sounds like a pretty rough experience, you must be very strong to be making it through

I can relate to the anxiety getting worse as I get older. I got to a point where I couldn't leave the house without having a panic attack - I too would dry wretch when I have panic attacks.

I found I needed to learn to relax myself - deep breathing, focusing my mind on the sensations in my body to bring my mind to the present (usually its getting caught up about whats going to happen etc). Once I do that I realise im just having a physical reaction and I can work on that. Relaxing muscles, controlling my breathing, feeling the sensations in my stomach.

I also have a meditation practice which over time has tremendously helped my anxiety - whilst its not a quick fix I cant stress enough how much this has helped my relationship with anxiety.

I also slowly exposed myself to stresses (once I knew how to relax - this is important). It was extremely hard but it has got better.

Anyway, I hope things get better for you. Let us know how you go!