FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Worried about the future

Sharra
Community Member

My partner says I am foolish to worry about things I have no control over but they are the things I worry about the most because I cannot plan for them, deal with them. I am getting older, nearly 63 and I know my brain is no longer reliable. I used to have a plan that when my partner and my dog were gone and I was alone I would just check myself into an aged care home and muddle away until the end but now I realise that ending up in such a place would probably be an nightmare so I am left with the worry that I will end up alone. I am not scared of being lonely but of being in trouble with no one knowing I need help. I cannot make plans because I am too young it seems. You must be 65+ to make aged care plans. I am ill and I care for my partner and my dog. While they are alive I have a focus and I struggle to make sure everything is fine for them but I have this nameless dread hanging over my head about what happens when there is just me and I am not sure how well my brain will cope. I am already vague and I often say that the two of us make a great person but I have no idea what to do if it is just me. I have searched a lot but I can find no advice about coping with old age on your own in the country.

I have chronic fatigue syndrome and the biggest problem I have faced is the loss of memory and brain function. I was once a logical intelligent person with great research skills and now I have a brain that is extremely erratic. I have no wish to end up in care because I have seen what these places are like but trying to manage on my own is rather scary. I have worked hard to regain independence but the other day I stepped out in front of a car I did not see and it frightened me that I missed this. I am not sure there is a safe place. Growing old is hard.

Sharra

2 Replies 2

jwhite
Community Member

I find journalling and making "imaginary" plans helpful. Although most of my ideas are written down in a journal, they release my anxiety. With a background in research and science, keeping a journal and even reworking the days events such as stepping out in front of a car (happens at any age) helps me to remain less anxious.

"I am ill and I care for my partner and my dog". I think you may need to contact centrelink and establish a connection, I found no financial benefit, but at least I have put my hand up, established a relationship and said I need help with my mental illness. All the best.

Sharra
Community Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I do journal my thoughts to release the anxiety and I am in contact with centrelink. I think part of my problem is that the plan I had worked out is now in tatters due to what I have heard about aged care homes and while I have made a real effort to be independent I am only too aware of how much my brain has deteriorated. I am aware that my illness left my brain seriously fuzzy and vague and all the effort I put into trying to fix it has failed and now I must learn to work around the problem. Part of that is writing everything down so I have a reference when I forget. Even writing here helped. I know I just have to wait another 2 years and I will be eligible for aged care packages and then maybe I can set up a connection so that if I was alone and anything happened and I could not call then someone would investigate. None of my anxiety may come true either.