FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Thanks for the Help Beyond Blue!!

BlueSmoke
Community Member

I’m just putting this out there - admittedly to help myself release in the aftermath of my experience and for those who may be hesitant about seeking some assistance or talking to someone about coping with high anxiety at the moment. Especially other men out there.

To put things into perspective - Over the past 40 odd years I’ve always secretly thought I was invincible and strong minded, always able to talk myself through any situation or deal with life’s struggles without needing to burden others with my problems, I’m pretty active, my work is steady and seemingly I am one that shouldn’t really have too many concerns in life... blah, blah etc..etc).

Well it turns out I wasn’t as invincible as I thought.

Two weeks ago amidst the noise of everything going on with Covid Virus I thought It might be a good idea and went cold turkey off drinking coffee.

Over the course of the last week I’d convinced myself I had the virus, my breathing was so tight, my body was so locked up I felt like every breathe I took would be my last - panic attacks all day & waking up in the middle of the night choking on fear and doubt for myself and humanity... coupled with a physical manifestation of a pinched nerve in my upper right back that was clearly the epicentre of where I was holding in all my tension and anxiety.

Admittedly there had been some personal incidents over the past few months that clearly were playing on my mind I hadn’t dealt with (a loss of a close friend, a break up and the news of my 8 month old niece diagnosed with cancerous tumours in both eyes playing heavy on our entire family. Along with the noise of the media, the hype of US & global politics was filling my head with so much crap that last week I hit the wall mentally.

Not wanting to burden my family with more grief and not sure where to turn I ended up calling BB 3 times over a couple of days just to talk to someone... it really helped calm me down on the tail end of my attacks in those moments. I’d been attempting some deep breathing techniques but the pain in my back was so excruciating and limiting the expansion of my breathe. The outcome being that I started using the color visualisation for pain technique as referred to me by a BB councillor and that really helped me focus and flush the pain. I am only after a couple of days now almost back to full force again!

In summary... Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help you are not alone!

Thank you BB and remember to be kind to yourself people 🙂

12 Replies 12

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, wow

As a senior community champion, on behalf of our online staff I’d like to thank you sincerely for your post.

TonyWK

Thank you TonyWK.

P.S - I wanted to highlight that the councillor that I spoke to on the phone - after I’d mentioned the kind of work I did for a living - they were quick to recommend to me the color visualisation for pain technique combined with the slow deep breathing thing - (so thanks for listening!)

For me I was able to apply it instantly in that hectic moment on the phone and combined with some further relaxation and light exercise since, it has truly helped me pull myself together and greatly improve the situation in these last couple of days. It was kinda the game changer for me at that moment.

So a huge thanks again BB.

Great bluesmoke

you might also be interested in the following threads

use google

beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

beyondblue topic worry worry worry

regards TonyWK

Hi BlueSmoke

I echo TonyWK's appreciation of your complimentary post and thankyou!

The anxiety can be a pain...especially during this crappy period...Good on you for sharing the help you found on the 24/7 Beyond Blue support line 1300 22 4636

I understand your pain with tight breathing as it is a common symptom of having or used to having anxiety issues and yes it is also one of the symptoms of Covid-19

Thankyou too for mentioning "slow deep breathing " as this is very helpful 🙂

Great to have you as part of the Beyond Blue family too BlueSmoke!

my kind thoughts

Paul

Thank you Paul, I can’t express enough how even just being acknowledged in these threads helps give one a sense of belonging and less of a feeling of being alone.

As I write this I’m now calmer and more grounded again as half an hour ago I was having a mild panic just after waking up, I started reading other threads and stories here which made me start to cry which is an amazing release of tension and reading other’s stories really helps put into perspective your own situation when you realise there are others that have been dealing with issues for far longer and in situations less desirable than your own.

Regards,

BlueSmoke

Hey Blue Smoke!

Thankyou heaps for you super caring post above...Nice1

I hope your day was good to you BlueSmoke.....How was your day?

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words, I’m getting there... feeling way more relaxed and less anxious last couple of days thanks 🙂

Pinch in my back/tension is easing heaps, I’ve shut off the Media/News/Politics and dusted off my soccer ball and have been doing some kicking and juggling which has been perfect combining focus, breathing and light movement all in one. I hope this progress continues upwards!

How you doin?

Kind regards,

BlueSmoke

Hey BlueSmoke!

Good on you for having such a proactive attitude....Good1 with dusting off the soccer ball and doing the kicking and juggling...This will result in progressing upwards for sure!

Thanks for having the care factor to ask how I am doing....That is very kind...Ive been landscaping my steep garden with new sleepers/soil and using the Stingray Music app as a distraction 🙂

I joined the forums when I was at rock bottom back in 2016 after being made redundant from a senior management position....There are many gentle people here that have helped me out since I joined BlueSmoke

The never ending News reports can be a pain for sure...I hear you loud and clear and appreciate you posting that you have shut it down

We are definitely going through a difficult time BlueSmoke.....ugh!

You Rock!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your kind words 🙂

It’s warming to read that you have found such positive help here with others through your journey.

I echo those sentiments even in my short time here.

Your landscaping project sounds challenging! Are you planting it out with food stuff or is it more a retaining wall thing?

P.S - If you are into gardening and don’t already have it I recommend to check out perennial basil... with the purple flowers.

I have it everywhere around my place ... you can cook with it, bees love it (so many bees on it all the time that just staring at the bees taking the pollen and buzzing around is also a relaxing endeavour in itself), I find the smell is really calming too or if you just crush the leaves in your hand and breathe in. And you can literally break a branch off a plant and stick it in the ground and it will grow. An all round therapeutic garden companion 🙂

Regards,

BlueSmoke