Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Katniss91 New here, feeling anxious about returning to work after covid19.
  • replies: 3

Unfortunately i am one of the unlucky hospitality staff members who have temporarily been stood down due to Covid19. bit of background, i started dating someone in september 2019, who does live hour and a half away from me. The distance was hard but ... View more

Unfortunately i am one of the unlucky hospitality staff members who have temporarily been stood down due to Covid19. bit of background, i started dating someone in september 2019, who does live hour and a half away from me. The distance was hard but we made it work. At the start of all this covid19, i was anxious and worried that when and if i did get stood down or we go into lockdown, where would i go? Today, Wednesday the 8th April, i have now been down at my boyfriends for 2 weeks. I am starting to get a bit anxious about when and if we return to work. I do have a room in a house i share with a friend, which i do pay rent for. I have only been back once since, to go to an appointment then came straight back to my boyfriends. i am feeling anxious about going "home". questioning whether its something i actually want to do, or do i stay down here after covid19 "lockdown" is done. must mention prior to going into "lockdown" boyfriend and i were trying to conceive (not using protection). So the plan was, prior to this. We would try til we got pregnant then i would work up until i couldnt know more then move to his house while on maternity leave then access living arrangements then. However now this has taken place (must mention i struggle with change and get quite anxious about the unknown) i am not sure whats going to happen. Just wanting someone to talk to and some advice on how to cope with the anxiety.

nicoleb80 First time posting Mum of 3
  • replies: 2

Hi, my name is Nicole, Mum of 3 amazing children and nervous to post. My fiancé was recently imprisoned, leaving me with our 3 children aged 9,7 and 5. Would love to talk to anyone that’s been in a similar situation.

Hi, my name is Nicole, Mum of 3 amazing children and nervous to post. My fiancé was recently imprisoned, leaving me with our 3 children aged 9,7 and 5. Would love to talk to anyone that’s been in a similar situation.

shucks46 Newbie
  • replies: 6

G’day all 46 year old single male from from Adelaide. I’ve suffered with depression sense my early teenage years. Though recently seems to be getting the better of me. Like others, I have times where things are going well then at the drop of a hat, i... View more

G’day all 46 year old single male from from Adelaide. I’ve suffered with depression sense my early teenage years. Though recently seems to be getting the better of me. Like others, I have times where things are going well then at the drop of a hat, it’s a major kick in the guts. Anyway, I’ll leave it at that and move on the to forum topics, where I’m hoping to learn a thing or 2. thanks any have a good day stay safe all.

MelEder New member to forum
  • replies: 1

Hi, my name is Mel, I suffer from depression, anxiety, and I am looking forward to chatting and reading other peoples posts

Hi, my name is Mel, I suffer from depression, anxiety, and I am looking forward to chatting and reading other peoples posts

SapphireDreams New here! Hello
  • replies: 5

Hi, I'm not entirely sure what to say, things have been uncertain lately for all of us. With the fact I already had existing conditions it is taking a toll on me. I hope everyone else is okay! I'm a bird lover/enthusiast and general fan of all animal... View more

Hi, I'm not entirely sure what to say, things have been uncertain lately for all of us. With the fact I already had existing conditions it is taking a toll on me. I hope everyone else is okay! I'm a bird lover/enthusiast and general fan of all animals! Tell me a little about you?

Loc92 Partner of 5 years is a drug addict and depressed. Trying to support him.

Hi everyone, this is my first time using a platform like this. I really don’t know where to start but in summary my partner of five years whom I live with struggles with depression and addiction (alcohol/ket). I am now starting to struggling myself w... View more

Hi everyone, this is my first time using a platform like this. I really don’t know where to start but in summary my partner of five years whom I live with struggles with depression and addiction (alcohol/ket). I am now starting to struggling myself with managing my own mental health trying to support him. He is aware he has an issue and has started to seek professional help(counselling) however, since doing so the issue has gotten A LOT worse. I am trying to be supportive and set reasonable boundaries in place but feel like it’s not working. I know this won’t be fixed over night and it maybe a life long battle. I feel since seeking help he uses this as a way around doing drugs more and expecting me to be more accepting of it. Due to the virus we are now both not working meaning more stress and more time on our hands. Since no longer working, he has drank everyday apart from a handful and on those days he was on drugs. He is not Aggressive or abusive under the influence. He is always loving and caring. I love him dearly and really would like some tips or advice to help me cope with supporting him but also making sure my needs are met as well. Is this even possible!?

FizzySalamander New here!

Hello! I am a 20yo living in South Australia. I currently am looking for a new way to connect to those who may be feeling the same way as me. My usual support groups are hindered at the moment due to the current pandemic. I know the feeling of isolat... View more

Hello! I am a 20yo living in South Australia. I currently am looking for a new way to connect to those who may be feeling the same way as me. My usual support groups are hindered at the moment due to the current pandemic. I know the feeling of isolation, but not like this. I feel like I am coping well - but still with an ED and PTSD it is definitely more difficult some days. xx

Spreet Anxious and unable to cope with the current situation

Hi I am feeling depressed and anxious during the self isolation period. I am unsure when it will end. I don't know where everything is going to be.

Hi I am feeling depressed and anxious during the self isolation period. I am unsure when it will end. I don't know where everything is going to be.

Bmugg Hi

This is a first for me, normally I am just like eeyore - head down, one foot in front of the other. Recently I just feel like life is continually tripping me up. I have a very medically complex child (2yr old) who requires 24 hour care to keep her br... View more

This is a first for me, normally I am just like eeyore - head down, one foot in front of the other. Recently I just feel like life is continually tripping me up. I have a very medically complex child (2yr old) who requires 24 hour care to keep her breathing - that’s not even an exaggeration.. she has many other challenges also and is linked in with palliative care. i have had a heart attack due to stress and an undiagnosed heart condition that lead to open heart surgery last year. I have two other children 7 and 1 year. I have a history of depression and have been back on medication for awhile now. my partner struggles with pretty bad anxiety. My mother is currently fighting cancer, and my father is not coping well. my family circumstances have lead to very little interaction with friends, I don’t get good sleep, have very little time to relax and unwind. And have constant fear that I am letting my family down, not earning enough, will miss something with my little girl etc. im climbing a mountain and cannot see the top - it’s been a long 2 years and I’m short on energy and optimism. I don’t know what to do and often have bad thoughts. any ideas would be fantastic.

Levi75 Struggling to find peace

I’ve been struggling with anxiety for a while now. After the separation with my wife it made things a little harder. I have a new relationship with a wonderful woman, and at times my anxiety pops it head up. It seems when I feel when people get close... View more

I’ve been struggling with anxiety for a while now. After the separation with my wife it made things a little harder. I have a new relationship with a wonderful woman, and at times my anxiety pops it head up. It seems when I feel when people get close, I push them away in fear of getting hurt.