FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New Person, need some help

tim41
Community Member
Hi, totally new to depression and anxiety, have been to doctors and have gave me tablets and booked into to talk to somebody next week, looking re-assurance that I can recover from this, thanks in advance.
7 Replies 7

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi tim,

Welcome to the forums and good on you for seeking support. You're an absolute legend for recognising that you need help and being brave enough to reach out.

I'm 24 and currently seeing my psychologist for a variety of issues, but depression and panic attacks are among these. I have a long road ahead, but I've been through depression twice before and I'm still here now, plodding along.

If you have a read of some other people's posts, you'll see really great stories of people getting through each day, each month, each year. Personally, I find inspiration in knowing that everyone here is still posting despite all the troubles in their lives.

You can also check out the "Our Stories" section on the BeyondBlue main page. There's some really inspirational stuff there.

Otherwise, we'd also love to support you in your own struggles as well. We are not judgemental here and if you feel comfortable sharing a little bit more about yourself - what made you want to post? have you been struggling with this for a while? - we'd love to hear more of your story to support you better.

Best wishes

James

Guest_322
Community Member

Welcome Tim 😊

It can be scary reaching out to doctors and other health professionals so credit to you for doing that. The first steps can often be nerve racking.

I remember the first time that I saw a GP and psychologist for my depression and anxiety was very frightening.

I recall sitting in the waiting room and wanting to bolt! I'm generally a fairly private person in my offline life. So for me to have to speak to a stranger about my struggles was not pleasant to say the least. I ended up crying as the (very kind) dr helped me fill out my mental health plan.

It was a difficult time crawling out of that black hole. But what I do know is that I didn't do it alone. I had my GP, psychologist and selected friends that I opened up to- and they made all the difference.

I was suicidal and in a very dark place but I crawled out of the lowest point (& there are others here who have also or who are doing so as I type).

I'm not sure if the black dog ever truly left but he (she? it?) gave me a nice 6 month break last year.

Fast forward to now (I'm now 20 y.o. & turning 21 soon he, he), I'm not at my best- haven't been since the start of the year- but I'm doing the best I can. But what I do know is that I'm a LOT better than when I first walked into my GP's clinic.

So I guess my point is hopefully my little story helps reassure you that yes, recovery can be a possibility.

Anyway, enough about me. If you like, we would love to learn more about you.

We are here for you.

Dottie

tim41
Community Member
Thank you James, I really do hope I can come back from this and be a stronger person for it, your words of encouragement are brilliant to hear and I'm holding back tears writing this, thanks again

tim41
Community Member
Thank You Dotti, it means so much to hear other people have gone through the same issues and I'm not alone, thank you again

Wednesday
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tim,

I'm really pleased you came to the forum it's a great place to chat and work through things. There are many people with lots of experience to help out too. Just in case you haven't noticed there is also the chatline 1300 22 4436 available 24/7. So you are really not alone!

The big thing is that you recognised that something was not quite right and then did something about it. How are you going with your new meds? There is no need to worry about medico visits their job is to help you sort things out. As Dotti said her doc helped her fill out a mental health care plan when she was to distressed to do it. My doctor fills mine out too!

Depression and anxiety are wretched, but if you broke a leg you would get it reset, and seeks some physio help to make sure that you regained strength. You may even have a few days on the coach resting and take a pain killer or anti inflammatory tablet. If you think about it mental health isn't a lot different, resetting, medicine, therapy.

Come back any time you feel like a chat, you can do this!

tim41
Community Member
Thank you for your support, I want to ask the doctor if I can change my meds I don't think they are helping me too much at the minute, thanks again for your support it means a lot.

Wednesday
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tim,

Good idea, it sometimes take couple of goes to get the right medication for you.

Hang in there! Small steps end up making giant leaps, you will be okay.