FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here with a little bit of health anxiety

vala2017
Community Member

Hello!

I am new here so want to share what I am currently going through.

I recently had some tests done which all came back clear, however, I am now questioning whether the results were right/accurate. I went to speak to a nurse after I got my results who reassured me and I thought I would be alright after that, but my mind keeps going back to think that they were incorrect. I have been googling information about it which is only making it worst (am really trying to stop this) but it has snowballed this weekend and I do not know what to do! Why cannot I accept the results. Whats worst is that after getting the results I developed a bit of a sore throat which is not helping the situation (maybe why I am not believing the results as it is a possible symptom even though I know that this could be bought on by a million different things, including excessive worrying). My mind is even questioning whether they mixed my results with someone else's or whether the nurse actually took enough blood to begin with. From googling symptoms, my mind now seems to be paying tricks on me or I think I have other symptoms

Am I going crazy? Is there anyway out of this? I guess writing this down has helped a bit.

Cheers.

6 Replies 6

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Vala, welcome to the forum. Great to meet you.

You're not crazy, you're anxious. And that's understandable if the tests and what you've been tested for have been playing on your mind. We can't always dismiss fear so quickly and easily when we've been anticipating the worst, especially if we've been waiting a while for results.

First thing, as you know, is stop going to Dr Google. He's unreliable y'know. If he was a real doctor, well he wouldn't be because he would have been struck off by now. 😄

I think maybe you should talk to your real doctor again, as soon as you can. Because there's two things here - you need reassurance that the results are correct, and you need to discuss the anxiety in case that's a problem developing in itself. If you feel you really can't trust the results ask for the tests to be repeated. It could be just your mind playing tricks, but regardless, you need to know that.

May I ask if you often have problems with anxiety, or is this an unusual situation? It might be useful for you to read the resources on the website about anxiety and have a look at our threads about it on the forum.

Hope you keep talking to us Vala.

Cheers

Kaz

vala2017
Community Member

Thanks for replying Kaz. I really appreciate it.

Regarding your question re problems with anxiety, this is the first time. I think it may be a result from a couple of months ago when I went to the doctor for a minor problem, who thought it was some a lot more serious and asked me to get a range of tests, hence my mind is now going to the worst place possible after that experience (I have not seen that doctor since).

As for your advice, I will go back and talk to the doctor and possibly get the tests done again if they recommend it. Or possibly go see another doctor to get the tests done and speak to them about my anxiety.

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Vala,

Thanks for posting!

Kaz has already given you great advice, so I thought I'd provide a link to a great resource. This doesn't replace seeing your doctor, but can help with your understanding of health anxiety.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

Don't be overwhelmed by all the links. The first module on this page provides basic information on health anxiety, and is a quick read. You could save the link, and go through some other modules later if you feel it would help.

Best wishes,

SM

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Vala,

i too have suffered some health anxiety. Kaz has made a great suggestion about owing back to your dr for reassurance. Can I add that it maybe a good idea to get it in writing so you have something to look upon if anxiety creeps up again.

cmf

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Vala2017,

Welcome to the forums, first and foremost... you have some great advice above which i do hope you take on but as someone who has health anxiety and has gone through similar to what you are dealing with, I can 100% appreciate what you are saying.... i always question if my doctor is correct, and i have gone and recevied many second opinions about stuff because i was always worried and i have made myself sick for stressing out about it, the doctors are there to help so I would go back and say exactly what you said to us, you have alot of anxiety because you feel the tests may have been incorrect, they deal with a lot of this stuff everyday so i'm sure they will reassure you everything was done correctly.

My best for you.

Jay

vala2017
Community Member
Thanks SM. I checked out the link and it was very helpful. I am working through the modules 🙂