FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First post, just saying G'day 😊.

Shauny23
Community Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd join an online forum to get some more help and advice with my anxiety, anxiety as soon as I wake up until I get back to bed and it's the worst when I'm at work. Anxiety paralyses me to the point I can't think, I can't converse and I just feel stupid. 😞😢😧.

I used to drink and party alot on the weekends in my 20's, I had plenty of friends, I was married and bought a house all by the age of 21.

I got divorced at 29, drank, more, partied too hard and lost everything and ended up in rehab. It took me 3 years to finally quit drinking but I have been using other things to fill that void, I did manage to stay 12 months clean and sober but my anxiety, especially meeting anyone new was too difficult.

I am now at the point where I have had enough of the self medication, I know it's making my anxiety worse. I recently got laid off work and was relieved to be honest.

So I just want to talk to people who have experienced the same feelings as me and hopefully make some friends and find relief.

Thanks 😊

4 Replies 4

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Shauny23

Welcome to the forums and good on you posting 🙂 I'm Paul

You have great strength to reach out and post Shauny23. Just out of respect for you, I have had acute anxiety since 1983 and it was an awful and dark place place to be in. I understand where you are coming from.

I was a dill and didnt see my GP for way too long...thinking I could 'get over it' on my own...whoops...bad idea

You and I are in a similar boat with work.....I was made redundant in January just gone...it seems like a gift now.

I am on AD's and still see my GP regularly for a 'tune up' with my depression. Can I ask if you have a GP that has a focus on mental health?

You are not alone here Shauny23...It would be great if you could post back when you wish of course. There are many super kind people on the forums that can be here for you

If you have any questions about anxiety or anything you are more than welcome to ask..:-)

Kind thoughts

Paul

Thanks for the reply mate, I even have social media anxiety.. If that even exists, I didn't know what to write, but when it's personal and from the heart it just flows I guess.

I am seeing a gp and I have been on and off ad's for probably 10 years but I have been completely off for the last 6 months and I really don't feel any different.

I am looking into getting into meditation and yoga to try something a bit different, I know the theory in what I have to do but it's just putting it all into practice lol.

I enrolled in university part time and start in November, I was supposed to do that in the year 2000 but I took a year off.. Which turned into 16..

What is the best treatment for you in regards to your anxiety?

Thanks again mate ☺️

Hey Shauny

Thanks for posting back 🙂

I hear you on social media.....I found myself checking it all the time....it was like an electronic dog collar....FB is a great site but I had to cancel it...(just for me)

I was 23 when I had my first mega attack...and didnt see a doc....I wish I did...

• regular counseling (psychologist...or a community health worker through the council/hospital)
  • I had no dollars for a psychologist so I called the council for a mental health professional...This guy was a legend and said he would treat me if I agreed to weekly appointments...I thought..oh crap...but he was right...I saw him for 6 months every week....he gave me life back....most of it anyway...He took the fear out of the anxiety....once that happens there is an 80% recovery
  • I have always been fit...and eaten well...so that is fine...It didnt matter to me...I tried natural remedies..no joy
  • you have been off AD's for 6 months...and no difference?....My AD's vaporized my anxiety..been on them for 20 years and have been working well. They are not a total fix...they give us a platform on which we can heal and use all the various coping techniques more effectively
  • Find a GP that has an 'interest' in mental health...some treat anxiety...some dont care and wont treat it
  • Bottom line....the more counseling visits the better...the anxiety will decrease for sure a lot quicker 🙂

If you have any anxiety in traffic or meetings having a couple of anti anxiety meds in your console or wallet (as a plan B) is always a good idea....Its like having support with you even if you dont take one. (depending on the severity of your anxiety attacks or anticipatory anxiety)

Sorry about the lengthy reply mate...

This thread remains open if you need any support or just want to have a gas bag 🙂

My Best

Paul

littlemisspippa
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shawny23!

I just wanted to reach out and thank you for sharing your story. I think you should be proud of yourself 🙂 I can understand where you're coming from - l have severe Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD). Like you, there's been many mornings l've woken up feeling like l'm having a heart attack (despite sleeping for 9 hours before)! The feeling of feeling like you're paralysed is the worst - l also feel really stupid because l have mental breaks and forget simple words etc. You know what, in these moments, all you can do is stop and focus on taking a few deep breathes. Be kind to yourself - Anxiety is hard but it makes us strong and compassionate people.

Good work for being proactive and seeing a GP. Anti-Depressants are just one piece of the puzzle. Think of them like this - if you had Diabetes (or any other illness), would you feel bad about taking medication to treat/manage it? No. So, treat Anxiety like you would a physical illness. If your anxiety is stopping you from living your life to the fullest, you need to do everything you can to manage it. The medication can help you stay on your feet long enough to be able to ensure you have strategies in place to manage it.

Let me know how you find yoga and meditation 🙂 I love to get outdoors and go hiking - I feel really relaxed when l'm just in the middle of a beautiful national park. Going for a run also helps to clear my head.

I think if you think of the treatment for anxiety as this, it will help (it's helped me a lot!): Eat healthy (I also have supplements like magnesium, vitamin D and fish oil) + Exercise + Get sunshine + See friends and family/loved ones + Sleep (very important!) + No coffee/caffeine post 12 + Do something you enjoy every day + Laugh! Also, love yourself - get to know who you are as a person and love yourself, accept your flaws because you're human and it makes you flaw-some!

For me, what's helped is treating anxiety like any other illness - understanding the causes, symptoms and management techniques. I stepped away from seeing it something as 'wrong with me' and just focus on what l can do to manage it.

I hope that helped and please feel free to touch base with me to talk!

Philippa