FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Let me entertain you

Scotchfinger
Community Member

Sorry just tried to think of an interesting thread title.  🙂

I'm late fiftees, married no kids. I quit a full-time job in 2014, and haven't really recovered since. Two or three part-time jobs since didn't work out either.

Two words come to mind. Shame and guilt. I wasn't retrenched so I have no excuse. I don't deserve anyone's pity, I know I got myself into this mess. Thing is I'm getting too old and unemployable. And I don't tolerate workplace characters like I used to. people tend to get on my nerves easily these days. Old and grumpy 🙂  I don't think I can take someone micro-managing me anymore, telling me what to do.

I start to think I'm a failure in life at this age. Bit late to be ambitious now. I live on my own savings as my partner works so I don't qualify for Centrelink payments. 2016 is an important year. Will I go up or further down? It is a big concern. Enthusiasm and hope, where are you? I need you now>

But I know some of you are worse off than me. That just makes me more

ashamed of my current situation.

thanks for reading

scotchfinger

24 Replies 24

OK I left  my fulltime job because:

_ I was fed up with working some of the characters there

_ I was fed up with nightshift and the lethargy that goes with it

_ my boss and I did not get on well. I think he was glad to see me leave.

I miss the job because:

_ the money was great

_ I had time to study at work sometimes

_some positive interaction with the better humoured ones

as if I wrote something inappropriate, one of my posts was edited.

Not sure I'm suited to this forum.

Ha ha, Scotchfinger, I've had some of mind edited as well.

I dont know where you are based, but I would recommend you look up on the internet some of your local Volunteer Organisations.  I know voluntary work does not pay the bills, but it could open up other opportunities for you.  Either aged care, or perhaps in the youth area if that interests you.  I know our local organisation had openings for volunteers in the youth area as well, so perhaps that could be an option for you.  It could be tutoring or after school counselling, or something in that line of work.  As I said, it could open up new beginnings for you in that you may find something that really interests you, and opportunities may be there.  I understand your reluctance with regards your previous support worker duties.  But as a volunteer that would not normally be expected.  Good luck.

ok thanks sherie

Pantheress
Community Member

Happy new year scotchfinger.

Great money in tutoring. Go for the younger children. They are easier to get along with,smiles.. work your own hours. I was paying 120 an hour to have my 15 year old son tutored in maths twice a week. He passed his exam and I found this worth every cent. Or if you Google you will find company's who will put you on their books and consult with you on tutoring blocks. Which also saves you getting you own customers. At the university's you will find a notice board with overseas students requesting tuition in basic English. Also due to you teaching overseas I wonder if you have a 2nd language? As this is also in huge demand. Interpreters are always sort by government agencies such as centrelink and normally done over the phone to different parts of Australia. We all have wonderful skills that we take for granted, therefore not seeing the value in what we have. Anyway food for thought. Have a great day

Thanks for your input Pantheress.

Pantheress has raised some  very good points there Scotchfinger.  Does any of that sound appealing to you?  I hope we can find something worthwhile for you to do, because we all need to feel useful.  It is very important to our overall wellbeing.  And its horrible feeling bored.  Certainly you are way too young to languish in early retirement!  Dont give up on finding something that you enjoy.  

Someone of your talent and experience will be appreciated somewhere.  Have you considered enrolling in 'work for the dole'?  It is not compulsory for over 50's, but it is still an option.  I read somewhere recently that the number of 'work for the dole' enrollees has a higher number of over 50's than they do of youth unemployed. Interesting isnt it?  I believe some of the options are pretty interesting, and I'm sure they place people according to skills and interests wherever possible.

Sherie x

Don't qualify for dole (partner's income used in means test)so have never applied. Live on savings.

thanks sherie

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

All posts are pre-moderated Scotchfinger. Don't take being edited personally mate. You might not agree with the decision, but the pre-moderation is what keeps the forum safe. They know what they're doing. I've had several posts edited too, and that's OK because I know the moderators have an unenviable task and work with the best interests of the forum and all members in mind.

I once helped moderate a post-moderated forum (ie things were posted then removed or edited if someone reported them and if the moderators had reason) and at times it was chaos, and potentially damaging for people. I really respect the way this forum operates.

Oh yeah, of course.  Sorry forgetting!  My husband complains because when I am working he doesnt qualify for the Pension.  He is ex-serviceman so lives on his super, which of course is also included in the means test.

So we are back to the Volunteer Organisations, or Pantheress's suggestions about schools etc for tutoring.

Sherie x