FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Joeypos

Joeypos
Community Member
Hello i have been diagnosed with depression and have been taking medication long term.(8+years It works for me. Yet another article has come to light about long term use, it makes me very anxious to think about not taking medication have tried before and relasped into major deprssion. Any thoughts would be appreciated 😁
3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I wouldnt read too much into duch articles.

Take bipolar for example. A 20% suicide rate. Better to have mefication and any side effects.

This thread might interest you

Google

Beyondblue Topic medication is a whirlpool

Regatds TonyWK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Joeypos, thanks for your comment and a warm welcome to the forums.

I agree with Tony, antidepressants (AD's)vary from person to person and what we do read about them, as we're curious, may or may not happen to ourselves, so we can't expect the same result as what we read.

I know that if I miss a day taking my AD then I fall back, even after I've been taking them for 25 years, whereas other people this won't be the case, plus there are so many trained professionals who could differ in their opinions, just as there are articles which don't agree with everyone.

The only way for you to find out is to get your doctor's advice and then try, but please remember that if you do relapse then you can start taking them again, so you will learn from your query.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Sky31
Community Member

Unconscious and repressed emotions such as rage, sadness, inferiority and so on are a trigger for depression and can effect you lifelong even if you have forgotten about them after bad experiences as a child.

If taking the medication is working for you and preventing your life from falling apart, then stick at it if you feel necessary. Remember though that depression is like having a headache and having Paracetamol to make it go away is a bandaid that hides the pain, thus treating the symptom rather than the root cause.

Think about what it is in life that makes you angry, stressed, sad and so on and work on a way to change that. Be honest with yourself! Maybe it’s your job? If so, work towards getting a job you feel may make you happier, even if the pay is lower, or instead, save up enough money to have a passive income for yourself so that you no longer have to work and can instead pursue hobbies and passions.

Good Luck!