FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi

Chris87
Community Member
Just wanted to introduce myself. Male, 29.. (sounds like a dating website) 2 year old son who I love more than anything in this life. Police Officer 6 years, just about to graduate as a lawyer. Had a rough time around December last year, admitted for a short time. But been suffering my whole life. Nine months with one to two appointments a week with a Psychiatrist later, you can say I know a little about whats going on. I don't listen to diagnoses, and to be honest they are a load of... but only you can figure that out. I have seven 'labels,' from that little book the DSM, but let me tell you when you have a psych that doesn't believe in medication or the way psychiatry is headed, you soon learn where your problems come from. If you really want to know whats going on upstairs and take control of your life, think causes, that's it. What caused the mood, what caused the anxiety? Sometimes the cause is so small or so stupid (perceived) we refuse to acknowledge it, and hence blame it on the label. Toss the labels, lets talk about causes and triggers. I tossed all the medication too, well the majority, but I don't know if I can talk about that here. Anyway, I want to speak with like minded people about life's challenges. Nice to meet you, Chris.
18 Replies 18

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chris,

I'm one of the community champions on the forums here. Lovely to meet you over this text based conversation. The thing with psychs is that they're a dime a dozen but so often you meet one that really helps you. There's a reason that they have the education they do and we assume they know more about the psyche than we do. They do, but sometimes they're uncommitted to their jobs and sometimes they're just working on an outdated education. Personally, it took me to find quite a while to find one I really clicked with but when I did we worked through a lot of my issues - PTSD, depression, anxiety, bipolar and so on. It's generally a trust issue as well, even at the most subconscious level.

At the end of the day your mind is literally the thickest pavlova you've ever seen, each layer piled on since you were born, some layers are rotting and decayed, some are preserved and wonderful. Looking at it from the top there is no way you'll be ever to easily extract the rotten ones, you have to dig deep and gradually pull them out until the rest of the pavlova resembles something wholesome. Sorry for the metaphor I was eating pavlova when I wrote this.

Be open, be easy.

Pat.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Chris, can I just say I like your metaphor Pat.
My last psychologist was someone who didn't believe in taking any medication, even for pain, because he believed that you can talk your way out of being in pain, stop OCD, don't need antidepressants or any other medication to help you with any issue you have, but I told him that I totally disagree with his principles and ended our association.
Of course it's up to the person what they decide to take and no one can be forced to take them.
It would be impossible for you or anybody else to be able to feel comfortable talking to every psych, because personalities clash, ideas are different and when you talk with them both conversations go in different directions, which means that you will turn off listening to them.
What we all go through in life can be easy for some people, and how lucky they are, but for others it's like tryng to push a wheelbarrow full of concrete up hill, it's a struggle, but I believe that you have come to a site where all of us have had enormous challenges, and that's why we are here. Geoff.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Chris

Welcome and thanks for the great post. There seems to be a few health professionals that are anti-meds which is sad as there is a chemical/biological change that occurs with some disorders which make them physical in nature too. Pat and Geoff have made some great points on this above

One of the smartest moves I made was to start anti-depressants 20 years ago. They kept me successfully employed and provided me with a platform on which I could heal using the various coping mechanisms to improve/ heal even more.

You make a good point about all the various labels given to a seemingly growing list of psychological disorders. I also think that too many of these labels are counter productive to healing. Even though I have had acute anxiety since 1983 and depression from 1996, I try to get things basic where terminology is concerned.

'Labels are for soup cans'

Just opinion but I think medication (where appropriate) is a must. To suggest that someone get over depression by thinking happy thoughts is the same as telling a diabetic to think happy thoughts to reduce their blood sugar levels.

Great topic Chris 🙂 Thanks again for your post!

My kind thoughts

Paul

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Chris, thank you for posting your perspective on the forum I am sure it will be of interest to many members.

I wish to say that while you are taking a positive approach, your methods might not be suitable to everyone, especially the tossing out the medication bit.

My label is bipolar disorder type 2. What caused it? Genetics. Medical science largely agrees now that genetics accounts for approximately 80 per cent of bipolar cases. (Source: Blackdog Institute) Some studies have mapped the brains of bipolar subjects and found physiological differences. I know it's genetic in my case because it's in my family. And, I know it's for life - there ain't no cure.

Some people can manage bipolar without medication. Others like me, who need to be stable to work and maintain relationships etc, can't, or at least don't want to take the risk, given that according to a study from the US, an estimated 25 to 50 percent of bipolar people attempt suicide. By taking medication we are taking control of our lives.

Whether we use medication or not depends on severity, life circumstances, life responsibilities and our own reaction to their efficacy. I'm glad tossing out the medications and labels worked for you, and I'm sure it does for others. But I caution against advocating a one-size-fits all approach on what is a very very complex area of medicine and psychiatry.

And labels are just names for conditions, don't use them if you don't want to. But I find mine useful as a way of understanding and explaining what's going on with me. As I would if I had a physically manifesting condition like diabetes or Parkinsons.

Best wishes

Kaz

Starwolf
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Chris,

Thank you for initiating this interesting thread. It is good to know that you have found a therapist who suits and understands your specific needs. Such professionals are invaluable allies to have on your side.

I understand where you come from. I have pulled myself out of depression, anxiety, DP/DR disorders and PTSD while remaining medication free throughout the long journey. But I have also learned that different approaches suit different people... and we're all different. I have successfully used strategies that I wouldn't recommend to anyone else. I just couldn't take on that responsibility but favour the old Horses for courses perspective.

Like in all areas of Life, what works wonders for one could be a total failure, even dangerous for another. What seems to work best for all of us though is keeping an open mind.

I wish you all the best on your personal journey.

Hi Chris, welcome

This "open mind" suggestion is spot in terms of ...well everything to do with mental illness.

You have a reasonable track record of employment. I've done- RAAF, Pentridge prison officer, dog ranger, security, control room operator, railways investigator and ran my own private investigation company for 18 years. But when I was initially and incorrectly diagnosed with bipolar 1 and ADHD in 2003 I knew zilch about those disorders.

So the following 6 years was tolerated with the wrong medications...12 different types in all. I could have turned my back on meds then and there. But we got a second opinion in 2009....bipolar type 2 (like Kaz above) , dysthymia, depression and dwindling anxiety. An accurate diagnosis.

So another course of meds. Wow, what a difference. My main symptoms of bipolar 2 are bad moods. You say "find the source, the trigger etc" nope, sorry to disagree but most of the time those chemicals in my brain if not medicated create their own mood recipe when they feel like it...no trigger required.

So in the last 7 years a fine tuning of my mood stabilisers has been done once...early 2016. I also take a low dose of ad's. Too high a dose can make bipolar sufferers manic

So what about psychs and your comments about them.? Well with that "open mind" I believe all medical professionals have their slice of importance. Most aren't available to vent to 24/7 like beyondblue is so beyondblue has their important slice also as friends willing to listen have their importance.

Finally, challenges. Well I'll leave you with a thread I wrote some time ago. Circa 1982...please google it. And thanks for your post.

Topic: 30 minutes can change your life- beyondblue

Tony WK

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Chris, great thread this - challenges conventional thinking at times. I have had some excellent psychs and some where i reckon i was teaching them!

On the subject of knowing your triggers, you are preaching to the converted here. I know my triggers and early on in my journey knew that i was never going to able to avoid them all. Once i was strong enough and trained myself up to handle it, I went about, in a safe way, deliberately engaging those triggers to get the power back of them and back onto me. Had to tactically retreat a couple of times but for the most, it worked a treat.

For example, after i got out of hospital, i suddenly found the thought of getting on a train a fully anxiety driven thought so i went to the train station on a quiet line at midday knowing that the train would be virtually empty. Got my music on to ground myself and got on, sweating bullets, shaking but knowing that i was in the process of learning to live again so pushed myself through it. Did this a few times and felt the anxiety levels decreasing. Still wont get on a packed train but generally don't have an issue getting on them now.

When ever i have a crap day, i backtrack and assess what i have been doing and i can generally pin point where i buggered something up, like poor diet, not enough water, not enough mindfulness etc. So yes, when you get to know your moods and triggers and work out ways to combat them, it makes life a truck load easier.

You're such a fighter Mark.

Kudos to you mate.

I really can see your strong spirit.

Lion Heart

xx

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks for the words Cornstarch - appreciate it.

I find the subject of mental health so fascinating and having lived it, just so keen to hear other peoples stories and help where i can. Different people, different stories, different triggers, different ways of coping, different thought processes but in way we are nearly all the same. Like this thread, just so different to all the others i have read. Chris original post makes me think in a different direction and consider different approaches, so continuing to learn.