FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

hi

sinking_mama
Community Member

Hi, well um i have no idea where to stert or how to do this... i guess its an intruduction to me so here goes

I have severe depression and major anxiety issues and have been trying, and failing, to cope since my early teens, so thats over half my life, wow i only just realised that. Im also an alcoholic who desperately wants to never have another drink again but no matter how many times i try to quit it just doesnt work.

Im also a mummy to the most wonderful happy healthy smart (i could go on for days) 15 month old little boy

5 Replies 5

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Sinking Mama,

Welcome to the forum!

Having both anxiety and depression is challenging. At 13, I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and shortly after, depression (mild to moderate). I no longer have depression, but still live with OCD, which is manageable thanks to SSRI medication and great support from loved ones.

Alcohol is hugely problematic for those with anxiety and depression. As you know, it's a vicious cycle. When you're feeling anxious or depressed, alcohol can seem like an escape or at least something to numb the pain. Giving up cold turkey could be the best thing for you. However, as I have always been a non-drinker, I am no expert in this area!

Are you on medication for your anxiety and depression? If you take antidepressants, alcohol should be avoided or consumed in very small amounts. Alcohol is a depressant drug (though people often don't think of it as a drug) and negatively interacts with antidepressants.

Going to your GP about your anxiety and depression, and your alcoholism, is important. If you've already been seeing your GP, that's great (keep doing so). The best inspiration to keep well for you is your cute little boy. I love kids, and hope to be a Mum too one day! Can you get emotional support from family or close friends?

I hope you can start making progress towards a healthier life!

Best wishes,

SM

sinking_mama
Community Member

Hi sm

Thanks for the reply.

Ive been on antidepressants full time since having a major depressive episode in 2011, except for during my pregnancy as the ones im on can cause issues with baby if taken during pregnancy, and on the advice of my then psychiatrist went back on them a few days after delivering.

And youre right, my son is the best motivation i could have to try to end the vicious cycle im in.

Unfortunately i dont have anyone to talk to, i dont have friends (that has always been an issue for me) and while i have tried to talk to my mum i guess she doesnt hear what im trying to say. Plus ive always found it hard to open up and harder to actually talk about things (but im finding this a lot easier than i thought)

PatT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi sinking mama,

I've been dealing with drug and alcohol problems for a while now and I can assuredly tell you that they make my anxiety and depression much worse than they need to be. I've been clean and sober for about 16 months now and I'm in the best frame of mind possible. My mental state has improved greatly but it takes a while to get it back to normal. As for stopping drinking, have you thought about AA meetings? They seem a bit cultish to some people but they really aren't. It's just a room full of alcoholics who help each other to stop drinking. They are really helpful. 

Also, I'd advise speaking to your doctor before you decide to stop drinking completely. They can offer things like medication, forwarding you on to therapy and strategies to stop drinking. If you've been a long term alcoholic and want to stop drinking cold turkey you risk withdrawal symptoms which can range from fatigue to seizures. Be careful going down that path.

Having a little one in your life is a great reason to stop drinking. I nearly lost everything while I was abusing substances - don't let that be you. Take some positive action and be the best parent you can be.

All the best - Pat.

Hodges
Community Member

Hi im new to this too. Im a mum to a gorgeous 11yr old girl. I am also an alcoholic. Sorry had to stop and cry. I have never said that out loud before (so to speak)

Am desperate to not drink. Made appt with phychologist Tuesday this week. Wish me luck.

How are you doing today?

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi sinking mama and Hodges - just a little word about giving up alcohol. I've been sober for four and a half years and I totally agree with PatT about the improvement in mental state and wellbeing. I can't recommend it highly enough!

I do also though want to endorse what Pat said about getting advice before you try cold turkey. It depends on your level of drinking, but if it's high and if you drink constantly (ie keep topping up during the day), sudden withdrawal can be dangerous. You might need to taper off and your doctor should advise you on that.

I know it's really hard to tell your doctor how much you drink and what a problem it's become, but please do be honest. They need proper information to help you.

Pat mentioned AA, and there's also groups like SMART recovery that can help you. (do a google)

Do try - you'll never be sorry about giving up booze, and you will have a much better chance of improving your mental health and your life generally. Very best wishes to you both.

PatT - 16 months is awesome. Well done, I know how hard it was! 😃