FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi I'm Tim

Teiiiiim
Community Member

Hi, my name is tim, I'm 19 and I've been really struggling with depression for about 2 years. I feel like I am a very happy and light hearted kinda guy but on the inside I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me. I feel like it would be really great for me to make some quality friends.

about my depression:

I have been struggling with depression for about 2 years, take medication and have regular therapy. I'm finding it very difficult to attend Uni, and also just to live in general. The things I am depressed about are complex but I struggle with the meaning of life a lot. I find it is best to live day to day.

I'm keen to make new friends as I've said, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

6 Replies 6

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hello Tim

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

Having depression can make us feel like we are in a dark place. I understand and empathize as I have had the same for a few years and take meds as well which I am grateful for as they give me platform on which I can heal.

There are many kind people on the forums that can be here for you Tim. You are a happy and light hearted guy who is going through the depression roller coaster. I can see your kind heart in your post Tim.

If its okay I will contact a younger friend of mine here on the forums to welcome you even more...I understand what you are going through is complex. I will ensure you have a response from someone that is in a similar boat

If you have anything you wish to ask in the meantime please ask..If it wasnt for people like you having the courage to post......there would be no forums...so thankyou Tim 🙂

My kindest thoughts for you

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Tim, it's always so sad when anyone has depression, especially so young as you are, but at the moment you are trying to be brave and put on a fake exterior, but you won't be able to do this forever, because you will become exhausted and too tired to carry on like this, so slowly your true feelings will start to appear, however it seems as though you maybe apprehensive in making friends because you're not feeling well and embarrassed.
This should not happen as you have depression and been struggling for 2 years, that's a long time to be cramped up without people to support you.
I realise that you have therapy, but that's only for a few hours each week or month, but it's such a big world where everybody does need a friend, and yes you have now found a site where there are many friends, even though I'm old doesn't matter, because sometimes young people do want to talk to the oldies for comfort and advice.
Welcome aboard, we have a journey together. Geoff.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hiya Tim, welcome mate. You've come to the right place to make new friends. There are many people - young, and old like me 😄 - who relate to what you're experiencing. You are doing the right things by seeing your doctor and therapist. Keep it up, sometimes it does take time, but things can and do improve.

Have you had a look at our board for young people? It's on the list under Healthy Families. You'll find other young people there about your age, including uni students. If you want you could open your own thread there. We also have a virtual cafe for young people - called Friends Cafe - where you can just drop in and chat to others. It's under the BB Social Zone board. And of course you can keep posting here.

You mention the things that depress you are complex (always the way mate, just different things). Feel free to share as much or as little as you want Tim. We're here to listen and talk and we do care.

Kaz

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tim,

Just wanted to take a moment to welcome you to the forums 🙂 There is so many people in the same boat as you so you're definately not alone.

Uni is so hard anyway but it can make it especially harder when you're struggling with depression. Do you have much support around you? I know you said that you see a therapist but what about friends and family? I found that trying to build a close support group can be super helpful in managing my own depression. Sometimes it can even be helpful for the Uni to know that you are struggling; they can often give you allowances and extra support - might be worth looking into.

If you like you could share a bit about what's working for you so far in terms of helping to manage your depression. Maybe then we could brainstorm ideas or you may even pick up a few new suggestions or techniques to help. Things that seem little can really add up - whether it's pushing yourself to be a bit more social, exercise, meditation or mindfulness, listening to music.. Even if it helps you feel 5% better it can all add up.

You may also want to check out the young people thread - if you click on it there's about 5 threads on the first page about uni 🙂 https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/young-people

Hope you enjoy being apart of the forums.

Teiiiiim
Community Member
I want to say i love the community on these forums. Luckily my parents are very supportive and understanding and i also have my girlfriend of 2 years that has been with me through it all, she's been more than helpful, at times i really feel good enough for her though.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Good to see you back here Tim. You are good enough mate, you're a lovely sensitive, deep thinking person, I can see that. I'm so glad you have a supportive family and girlfriend.

You will get through this Tim. Just hold on and believe in yourself.

Cheers mate

Kaz