FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi everybody

Gonetroppo
Community Member

Hi all,

I've just joined this forum. I have a lifelong bipolar disorder with major depressive episodes starting in late childhood and progressing through adolescence and into adulthood. I grew up at a time where mental illness was considered taboo and seen as limiting life opportunities so it went undiagnosed. I eventually sought help in my late twenties and went through a long period of misdiagnosis. I was only recently correctly diagnosed and put on medications that help.

I moved to a new city immediately before the coronavirus pandemic and have not been able to get a medical support team in place as most medicos are not taking on new patients right now. I live alone and I'm having to work from home so I have little support and it has been harder to maintain good mental health than usual, which is why I have joined this forum. Kind of an anchor to help manage things and stay healthy.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Gonetroppo, thanks for joining us here on the forums. We hope our community can be the kind of support you're looking for. 

We're sorry to hear about your experiences with mental health, it must've been really tricky to have lived with bipolar disorder for so long undiagnosed and untreated. We're also sorry to hear you're struggling to find a medical support team, hopefully, our community can provide you with some advice on how you can best support yourself during the meantime. 

If you feel up to it, we'd recommend reaching out to our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. The website will be regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. You can also call our dedicated support line, staffed by mental health professionals, which is available 24/7 on 1800 512 348.

We hope that you keep checking in to let us know how you're going, whenever you feel up to it. 

Thanks. I really appreciate that. I'll explore this site and hopefully find ways of keeping on top of things..