FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety controlling life

roundowl
Community Member

Hi all,

I live in Perth & I'm in my mid-20s. Anxiety has been controlling my life as of late. I've missed almost a month of work, and although my work has been really patient with me, I can tell they're getting fed up. My partner is supportive but is becoming frustrated, something I can understand. I know what I need to do and I know I need to 'push through' the anxiety as best as I can, but I keep giving in and taking the easy way out. I'm so frustrated with myself. I used to be able to manage my anxiety but now it's like it's taking over my life and I just keep letting everyone down. I'm terrified I'll lose my job and it's our main source of income. I know I'm being hard on myself but I feel like I can do better, I'm just not trying hard enough. The silly part is that's not something I'd ever say or think about someone else in the same situation. I honestly feel like I'm my own worst enemy.

How do you handle it when you're the one making life hard for yourself?

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi roundowl,

Thanks for your post. This is a great question, and still something I'm probably trying to figure out for myself too!

I think personally that knowing you are hard on yourself is half the battle. These thoughts and messages that you tell yourself are probably so automatic it's very easy to not be aware of them or even 'pick up' that they aren't nice things. So the more that you're able to do that, the easier it will be to be able to change it long-term.

Can I ask if you're getting support for your anxiety or if you've ever considered doing so? Pushing through anxiety is very easier said than done, so it helps to make baby steps so that it's just enough to feel manageable.

If you're interested, there's an exercise that you can try that might help. See if you can imagine what you might say to a friend who was going through the same thing. Write that down. Then read it. It may not feel like much (and doesn't take much time), but it can be very powerful 🙂

Thanks for your reply 🙂

I'm currently seeing a psychologist but can't go as often as I'd like to. I've considered finding a support group here, but I'm a little wary of that kind of thing.

That strategy sounds really helpful, thanks! I think I'll try using it along with my others