FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's it like on a psych ward?

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi all;

This topic often comes up so I thought I'd create a thread to inform, and discuss concerns of people scared to ask for help from a hospital.

I've worked as a mental health peer worker since mid last year so I totally understand the stigma around being admitted. I spent two weeks on a ward a few years ago so my post is from lived experience as well.

Depending on your circumstances, being admitted voluntarily or involuntarily isn't really any different except if you're violent or are at risk of self-harming. In these instances patients are sent to a ward where they can be monitored more closely than on other wards.

Think of the MH system as a scale from 1 to 3; at each level you're being assessed to move to the next level of care with less monitoring and more independence, eg. wards can be closed or open depending on whether the patient is a risk to themselves or others and has proven themselves to be actively participating in their own recovery.

Assessments are carried out by a psychiatrist assigned to the patient on admission or the next available time permitted as they are extremely busy or it's in the middle of the night.

Nursing staff take daily, and sometimes hourly notes to support the assessment process. They follow the Dr's treatment plan which includes medication both regularly administered and PRN for crisis situations when people need something extra to help them cope.

In my own case I was prescribed a daily anti-depressant with PRN anti-anxiety as a back-up which I only requested when I couldn't sleep or was distressed. People with more severe symptoms are treated with medication in alignment with their particular diagnosis and responses.

Sometimes it takes a while to test what the best medication is, so letting staff know how you feel with any new drug is really important. Their notes are a direct link to your psychiatrist and are discussed every morning in a combined clinical meeting to identify the best avenue of treatment and ward movements for each patient.

As you can imagine, patients at each stage of the scale will differ in how they act, respond and engage with others. Focusing on yourself and recovery is the best way to approach your stay.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to comments from members.

Kind thoughts;

Sez

43 Replies 43

Hi again Monkey and thankyou Paul for your valuable encouragement 😀

Thanks for your kind words re my job. I do love it and know my presence for many on the wards is positive. I hope you're doing well and taking care of yourself.

It's unfortunate hospital has been so upsetting. In my line of work I'd like to think that everyone benefits in some way from their admission. I do what I can to impart any wisdom or experience to provide guidance, a kind shoulder and above all, hope.

It's this hope that helps drive people toward their goal of being discharged. In this respect I truly understand how a CTO can be very frustrating and cause you to feel a lack of control.

**For those reading, an application for a Continuing Treatment Order is submitted to the court system (by a psychiatrist) where a magistrate will decide if it's legally applicable to enforce the order. The CTO states a patient must take a certain medication for a specified period of time after they're discharged from hospital. Prior to this the patient has the right to appeal and is represented by a solicitor (at no cost to the patient) at a hearing at the hospital to make a case to change requirements set out in the order, or have it stopped.

This process is also relevant when appealing an order 'not to discharge' a patient when they want to leave**

I'd suggest requesting to speak with a Peer Support Worker during your stay. If they don't have one, make a request to the Social Worker to have one allocated to you from an external agency.

I've attended many appeals with patients to give them someone to lean on during the hearing as it can be a very intimidating and scary experience. The magistrates are getting to know my face now and will ask my opinion. This annoys psychiatrists because my perspective is being considered.

You are a self aware and intelligent person MM. Your experiences and opinions are valued and important. I'm here if you have questions or need a hand with how to approach things in the future.

Warm thoughts;

Sez

Hi Sara

Peer workers are invaluable and I loved interacting with the peer workers during my stay

We had one peer worker who would go with us up the road for coffees - I wander if he had any idea how much I appreciated his company, friendship and encouragement.

You are right it makes a big difference. I laughted at how the pyschiatrists are a bit annoyed at getting your input... This just goes to show how important your input is, and how important it is also that they are, at times, checked, and called to account, rather than given excessive power.

Thanks Sleepy!

I'm so glad PW's have been a positive aspect of your admissions. Use them to your advantage, that's what we're there for.

Cheers;

Sez

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

No problem Sez.
Peer work is a great help and makes the experience in a hospital or ward more human.

I considered going to a private hospital for mental health but didn't go in the end as I wasn't confident in the treatment I'd get there. I guess that was a choice I made, but I am interested in all the other valuable experiences in this thread, I think the more info, the more we can make informed choices.

I looked at a lot of negative reviews online for a particular private hospital and it convinced me it wasn't the place for me. But i believe they may have value and be helpful too. Always interested in everyone's stories on the wards... thanks for sharing here and thanks Sez for the thread