FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's it like on a psych ward?

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi all;

This topic often comes up so I thought I'd create a thread to inform, and discuss concerns of people scared to ask for help from a hospital.

I've worked as a mental health peer worker since mid last year so I totally understand the stigma around being admitted. I spent two weeks on a ward a few years ago so my post is from lived experience as well.

Depending on your circumstances, being admitted voluntarily or involuntarily isn't really any different except if you're violent or are at risk of self-harming. In these instances patients are sent to a ward where they can be monitored more closely than on other wards.

Think of the MH system as a scale from 1 to 3; at each level you're being assessed to move to the next level of care with less monitoring and more independence, eg. wards can be closed or open depending on whether the patient is a risk to themselves or others and has proven themselves to be actively participating in their own recovery.

Assessments are carried out by a psychiatrist assigned to the patient on admission or the next available time permitted as they are extremely busy or it's in the middle of the night.

Nursing staff take daily, and sometimes hourly notes to support the assessment process. They follow the Dr's treatment plan which includes medication both regularly administered and PRN for crisis situations when people need something extra to help them cope.

In my own case I was prescribed a daily anti-depressant with PRN anti-anxiety as a back-up which I only requested when I couldn't sleep or was distressed. People with more severe symptoms are treated with medication in alignment with their particular diagnosis and responses.

Sometimes it takes a while to test what the best medication is, so letting staff know how you feel with any new drug is really important. Their notes are a direct link to your psychiatrist and are discussed every morning in a combined clinical meeting to identify the best avenue of treatment and ward movements for each patient.

As you can imagine, patients at each stage of the scale will differ in how they act, respond and engage with others. Focusing on yourself and recovery is the best way to approach your stay.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to comments from members.

Kind thoughts;

Sez

43 Replies 43

Hi Mark; (waves to Sleepy for your post too)

Thankyou so much for your input. Your experience with other patients is common due to everyone feeling a little isolated, so bonding does occur. Not having outside influences (like mobiles) is an important aspect of the recovery and assessment process, but many struggle to come to terms with it. I'm glad you appreciated that time out though.

I'm sorry nursing staff weren't supportive. At our hospital the nursing unit manager's are sticklers for genuinely connecting with patients on the ward to instil faith and trust. That time increased after Covid-19 was introduced to quell some of the fear, especially re conspiracy theories.

Seeing your Dr everyday is pretty amazing! Go you! This obviously made up for the lack of interest from nurses. Thankyou again for your stories...

Big thankyou to Paul for providing info on PRN med's and sending well wishes. We're a complementary community aren't we? 🙂

Hi Dr Rotten;

It was your posts that influenced me to create this thread in the first place. Many people have reservations about being admitted so I hope our posts are helpful for making a decision on your own behalf. Please ask as many questions as you like ok. We'll be more than happy to provide answers and support for your journey.

Hi Autumn;

Kudos on your study choice! I'm not quite sure how I can help you on this thread, but if you start one I'd be happy to engage. If you read through posts on here I'm positive you'll find valuable info to satisfy your interest.

Psychologists do have a role to play on psychiatric wards, but not as much as they should. (IMO) Dr's are mainly concerned with brain illnesses of a chemical nature so addressing psychological disorders aren't high on their list which is a shame.

Take care everyone;

Sez

Thanks for your helpful and informative post, Sez.

What about entering and exiting?

Does one truly just simply present to the emergency department and say "Hello, I am planning self-harm?" like one might say "I broke my leg in an accident"? Do you have to talk lots in front of all sorts of people?

And when you are in, if you decide you're ok and would rather be back at home can you say "Thank you, I would like to leave now?"

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi that' a great question.From my experience I have presented myself to emergency saying what you said and they would bring me in with no waiting and they would bring down a psych from the ward who would talk to me and access me.I did not speak to anyone else apart from a nurse.On that occasion I was admitted to the ward for a few days.I have known other people who have been able to go home after talking to the psych with plans put in place.On other occasions I have been taken to hospital by ambulance and it was the same process.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey I have never presented to the hospital before. A psychiatrist when I was strugglign told me if it got so bad I could just present at the ED at my local hospital (he was a terrible pyschiatrist, he even told me the wrong local hospital.... you have to go to one where you are in their catchment area...)

I would never have done that. I didn't even know the logistics, how to get there, and was scared of what would happen there.

I ccalled Beyond Blue when I was suicidal and they have the ability to put yu through to the pyschiatrist support team at your local hospital. They took it from there. I spoke to a nurse about my options for about an hour. i decided not to come in. I was offered extra support over the phone, and later decided to stay in a recovery centre run by the hospital, which was less clinical than the psych ward. It was really relaxed and nice and we could come and go as we pleased.
I was given the option to go to hospital, but didn't take it, and found something else I felt comfortable with.
My interactions with the hospital was the first time I could discuss my suicide ideation safely, and it was the best thing I could've done for my mental health to liase with the hopsital psych emergency team (Triage/CATT team).

Thanks, Matchy69 and Sleepy21. Well, that actually does make me feel more comfortable with the idea.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi Dr Rotten, I still use the hospital support sometimes, without going in. If I"m really low and feel suicidal, I call the same line that the hospital put me through to (the psychiatric team at the hopsital - Triage/CATT team). The hopsital also runs a free service where you can have a hot drink and talk over your problems with a social worker - i go there too! I was thinking a lot about your question,I think you posted it elsewhere, would I go again?
I would. It is just hard to know when/if I needed it, and to fuigure that out. It's hard choosing the right service, but I do continue to keep the hopsital as a place I use in different ways for support.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
hi all, if anyone has any experiences about comradarie and friendship from a psych ward stay or attending a similar hospital service, I'd love to hear it.

I still sometimes see people on the street who I was in the recovery centre with, and a few i keep in touch with. Some I had to cut off frombecause they were not progressing in recovery and it was triggering for me while I was still vulnerable. I think making friendships in such places can sometimes be tricky. Did anyone make friends in a hospital or hospital-like setting?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi sleepy I made a really good friend last time I was in hospital.I use to see her all the time when we were out of hospital and we text each other everyday and would do heaps of things together.Unfortunately I lost her friendship from my depression and anxiety.Was my fault. always manage to stuff up friendships all the time.I miss her like crazy.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Mark i'm really sorry the friendship didn't last but i hope you wll find good people soon, you're a lovely person

I met some nice people in the hospital too, I became very close to someone there, but they had addiction problems and were still very new to recovery - it was too much for me as I was recovering very intensely myself. Some of the others we keep in touch from time to time. There can be some fun bonding there at hospital, but it can be difficult on the outside. Don't be too hard on yourself, i hope you know she also lost out from having you as a friend, and you can find others

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

lost out from not having your friendship *

it is hard to balance the friendships from the ward/hospital