FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's it like on a psych ward?

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi all;

This topic often comes up so I thought I'd create a thread to inform, and discuss concerns of people scared to ask for help from a hospital.

I've worked as a mental health peer worker since mid last year so I totally understand the stigma around being admitted. I spent two weeks on a ward a few years ago so my post is from lived experience as well.

Depending on your circumstances, being admitted voluntarily or involuntarily isn't really any different except if you're violent or are at risk of self-harming. In these instances patients are sent to a ward where they can be monitored more closely than on other wards.

Think of the MH system as a scale from 1 to 3; at each level you're being assessed to move to the next level of care with less monitoring and more independence, eg. wards can be closed or open depending on whether the patient is a risk to themselves or others and has proven themselves to be actively participating in their own recovery.

Assessments are carried out by a psychiatrist assigned to the patient on admission or the next available time permitted as they are extremely busy or it's in the middle of the night.

Nursing staff take daily, and sometimes hourly notes to support the assessment process. They follow the Dr's treatment plan which includes medication both regularly administered and PRN for crisis situations when people need something extra to help them cope.

In my own case I was prescribed a daily anti-depressant with PRN anti-anxiety as a back-up which I only requested when I couldn't sleep or was distressed. People with more severe symptoms are treated with medication in alignment with their particular diagnosis and responses.

Sometimes it takes a while to test what the best medication is, so letting staff know how you feel with any new drug is really important. Their notes are a direct link to your psychiatrist and are discussed every morning in a combined clinical meeting to identify the best avenue of treatment and ward movements for each patient.

As you can imagine, patients at each stage of the scale will differ in how they act, respond and engage with others. Focusing on yourself and recovery is the best way to approach your stay.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to comments from members.

Kind thoughts;

Sez

43 Replies 43

Hi all,

I can only be honest, based on personal experience.

I think ppl should b apprehensive about going into a psych ward where u r forced to give up your human rights against psychiatrists that have power over you.

I was voiceless.

Injected with drugs against my will.

Not allowed out for 3 months.

Living in unacceptable conditions.

I was assaulted by a patient and witnessed other assaults.

It was like jail in there.

I feel the best recovery option is not in a psych ward for me, based on personal experience.

Hi Monkey,
You are not alone. I've heard many of these stories. Thank you for sharing, like Sara said earlier it's important to share all experiences and I really appreciate yours. Very helpful!!

Hi monkey_magic,

We're sorry to hear of your bad experiences. It can be hard finding the rmental health treatment options that best suit you. Please know if you believe you’ve been discriminated, harassed or bullied  based on your mental health you can lodge a complaint with the Human Rights Commission here: https://www.humanrights.gov.au/complaints/make-complaint 

Prissy
Community Member

Hi, I’ve had a recent stay in a private hospital where I was treated very well. The location was amazing with ocean views and the food was mostly gourmet. Group sessions included, facials and all sorts of exercise in a fully equipped gym.

There was lots of 1:1 with staff and I was made to feel valued by everyone. There were some patients who knew each other well and appeared to use it as their annual leave as it was a bit like a resort.

I have had very unpleasant experiences in the public system previously and been very scared by patients on ice.

I have been really unwell this year and have appreciated my private health cover but depression and si are hard to overcome no matter where one receives treatment.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, I love what you wrote and it sounds like it was a really nurturing environment.
Facials sounds really fun, too.

Thank you

Hi and welcome Prissy!

Thankyou so much for your input. It's important to make distinctions between public and private systems.

I have a friend who stayed in a private (general) hospital for her depression and anxiety. She described her stay as peaceful with very helpful/attentive staff, though there was only one other patient requiring a MH admission for her to talk with.

In many cases of anxiety/depression a break from 'life' is beneficial to avoid further complications. Any environment that increases peace, calm, information and is free of unrealistic stigma/beliefs is ideal.

For a more complex diagnosis such as those with psychosis, severe delusions and behavioural problems I feel full-time psychiatric trained staff are necessary.

Great to see you on board and looking forward to reading future posts!

Take care;

Sez

Dear Monkey Magic and those reading;

I'm so sorry about your distressing experience. As Sleepy mentioned, I too have heard similar stories.

I can't condone anyone being placed on an acute ward where very aggressive patients are if they're not in this category.

Unfortunately, even in large facilities this occurs, especially during night admissions when there isn't enough beds or no active psychiatrist for a proper assessment.

In my role as a MH Peer Worker I often visit the behavioural acute ward to talk with those who should be moved but can't be allocated a bed elsewhere until one is available. It can be really tough and scary for them as you know.

There seems to be spikes/patterns in admissions which nursing staff often discuss. This not only affects ward numbers, but other region's wards that otherwise might have beds to ease the burden.

I know this must sound like an excuse, but I can assure you this issue is a constant both politically and at every single morning meeting where a representative from each section is present and patient's individual needs are discussed with respect and empathy.

You mention patients on Ice which is a very common problem that's increasing with scary velocity. %'s of those in the system and who are 'return' admissions are well known, but changes/funding is slow. It's a huge problem everywhere.

As Sophie_M says, there are avenues to complain, but in 'real-time' I would advise talking with the nursing unit manager, the nurse in charge or a social worker as calmly as possible. (I cannot stress this enough)

Tears and quiet speech usually provides a better result.

*Please note: My comments/opinions are general and not meant to address specific cases.

Hi Sara,

I've been having problems with the system for a long time now. The biggest problem for me is getting out of the system! Being placed on a CTO and all :-(

You new role sounds great. Hope your also enjoying it.

It was very intimidating and scary where I was so I'm glad there are ppl like you to help lessen that for people.

Thanks for your advice, I'll try anything.

Hey Monkey....

you are an excellent communicator and always great to read your life experience and your truthful input

I understand the frustration you have been through in the system...no worries at all there and you have stayed on topic as Sarah did ask "What's it like on a psych ward?" in her thread title

There are people reading the forums that may be contemplating a stay in hospital and need some reassurance

The truth is excellent Magic yet may be super scary to others that are doing it harder than us

my kindest always

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes the truth is super scary in regard to psychiatric hospitals. I've lived experience in a few wards. Ive sencored a lot of my real experience too.

I think it is helpful to be truthful as I wish I was warned before going in by someone.

I've heard negative and positive experiences since joining BB but my experience has been more negative.

Sure, there were positives I took with me and keep with me everyday like some beautiful, gifted, intelligent, strong friends I made. But there is no excuse for the psychiatric abuse I witnessed.

I think it's so important to know the positives and the negatives to make an informed decision.

And sure, not all people will be treated the same way or be detained for as long but the fact you are detained is shocking. I wasn't a psychiatric patients per se I was strong and capable advocating for my rights.Even though I was normal they still coerced me into forced medication.

I can talk about this topic for daaayyyss lol.