FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What's it like on a psych ward?

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi all;

This topic often comes up so I thought I'd create a thread to inform, and discuss concerns of people scared to ask for help from a hospital.

I've worked as a mental health peer worker since mid last year so I totally understand the stigma around being admitted. I spent two weeks on a ward a few years ago so my post is from lived experience as well.

Depending on your circumstances, being admitted voluntarily or involuntarily isn't really any different except if you're violent or are at risk of self-harming. In these instances patients are sent to a ward where they can be monitored more closely than on other wards.

Think of the MH system as a scale from 1 to 3; at each level you're being assessed to move to the next level of care with less monitoring and more independence, eg. wards can be closed or open depending on whether the patient is a risk to themselves or others and has proven themselves to be actively participating in their own recovery.

Assessments are carried out by a psychiatrist assigned to the patient on admission or the next available time permitted as they are extremely busy or it's in the middle of the night.

Nursing staff take daily, and sometimes hourly notes to support the assessment process. They follow the Dr's treatment plan which includes medication both regularly administered and PRN for crisis situations when people need something extra to help them cope.

In my own case I was prescribed a daily anti-depressant with PRN anti-anxiety as a back-up which I only requested when I couldn't sleep or was distressed. People with more severe symptoms are treated with medication in alignment with their particular diagnosis and responses.

Sometimes it takes a while to test what the best medication is, so letting staff know how you feel with any new drug is really important. Their notes are a direct link to your psychiatrist and are discussed every morning in a combined clinical meeting to identify the best avenue of treatment and ward movements for each patient.

As you can imagine, patients at each stage of the scale will differ in how they act, respond and engage with others. Focusing on yourself and recovery is the best way to approach your stay.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to comments from members.

Kind thoughts;

Sez

43 Replies 43

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sara. Thank you for starting this thread. I've tried to find something similar on the forum.
I was wandering if we could maybe expand the topic to cover all hospital services for mental health? I have not been admitted to a psych ward, but have accessed suicide prevention assistance from the public hospital as an outpatient. Eg the CATT team can offer crises support either through visits to your home or phone calls when people are at their lowest. I think it's interesting that there are degrees of support on offer, which may or may not lead to going as an inpatient - but you do have a lot of choice and agency.

I was pretty sccared about contacting the hospital. I didn't want to become passive and have no power or choice. I also didn't want to take medication.

The staff respected this and I was able to access support on my terms. It's good that people can have experiences at hospital that empower rather than disempower. I'm glad I got to go.

Many thanks Sleepy; great information for readers!

(Just for those who don't know what CATT means, it's the Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team)

I think your idea to include all mental health services attached to hospitals on this thread is a positive one. The more we share our knowledge and experience, the more others will benefit.

I was wondering if you could expand on how you knew to contact them, what the process was and if you're in a major city or a regional/isolated area. It'd be a valuable addition to the 'gold' you've already contributed. Suicide prevention is a worthy topic, but please only include what happened in regards to using the service as I'd like to avoid triggering people. 🙂

I'm so glad your experience had a positive outcome and posting it here is very much appreciated, I can assure you. Sharing generic information is really important, but lived experience is as valuable as it comes.

For people reading who've had uncomfortable stays on a MH ward or with outpatient services, I urge you to post as well. Someone may have answers or questions as a result.

Sez

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Sara,

Thanks for the reminder. This forum is a safe place as all posts are checked before being published and we are advised not to use specific language that is triggering. I'd rather not share much more about it at the moment, if that's okay. Thanks for the post.

That's perfectly fine Sleepy, no worries at all.

Have a great day!

Autumn_
Community Member

Hi Sez,

A bit of a different angle but I hope you don’t mind.

In your experience, is there much opportunity for people without qualifications to work in this setting? You said you work in mental health so I presume you mean at a psychiatric ward.

I’m a psychology student so I would love to get a head start in this field (particularly at a psychiatric ward).

Autumn

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi thanks for this post and your comments from working on a ward.

My epereince is of being a patient on several occasions all being in the public health sysyem.The best things i found were the doctor who i saw daily and prescribed my medication and monitored me on the new medication.It was a good place to be away the things that were triggering me and effecting me like having my phone locked away so i couldnt read any nasty msgs that were constant for me.I found the other patients great and very supportive and we use to cry to each other hug each other and open up to each other.The thing that i found from my experience less supportive were the nurses.We use to have a nurse assigned to about 4 of us for the day.Apart from giving us our medication which would often be late and some times had to remind them and checking your obs in the morning,i found they didnt want to know you and some rude to me.

Thats just some of my experiences in a psych ward and sure their is so many different stories good and bad.

Take care,

Mark.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Mark, I agree with you, when I was inpatient the comradarie between the people was beautiful. hugs and reassurance and understanding like i'd never found before. I was not expecting that element of the hopsital, but it gave me a lot of hope. Thanks for your comments!

DrRotten
Community Member
Thank you for posting this, Sez.

May I ask what "PRN" means?

Hey DrRotten (wave to Sez)

PRN means 'as the occasion arises; as needed.'

Hope you are doing okay DrR

Great 👍 and super helpful thread topic Sez...good1

Paul